Show Students the Value of the Past with an Education Degree in Social Studies
Do you have a passion for history and want to share your love for the past with the next generation? If so, Liberty University’s Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) in Social Studies Education 6-12 is the degree for you! This program will prepare you with education essentials – like your teaching license – and all the critical knowledge points you’ll need to teach social studies to middle school or high school.
As someone who understands the value of examining the past to inform the future, you probably want to make sure students are able to see that same value. As a social studies teacher, you can inspire all your students to learn from what history has taught us and go on to be successful in their lives – no matter what profession they choose.
What is social studies education?
This discipline is designed to educate future teachers in specific social studies subjects, including history, political science, and psychology. You will learn to educate students on these subjects as you work towards earning your teacher’s license.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Social Studies Education Degree?
Choosing where to pursue your degree is a major decision. At Liberty, we have resources to help you get where you need to go. Our program will provide you with cutting-edge knowledge and techniques, hands-on experience, and a teaching license approved by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE).
Here are some of the benefits of choosing Liberty University for your education degree:
- Practical Learning | You will gain hands-on experience with a minimum of 240 hours between your practicum and student teaching.
- Flexibility | Your courses are all offered in a 100% online, 8-week format with the exception of your practicum and student teaching which can be completed at a school near you.
- Integrity | Each of our courses is taught from a Christian perspective, so you will graduate prepared to teach your students ethically and with biblical principles in mind.
What Will You Learn in Our B.Ed. in Social Studies Education Degree?
As a teacher, you must be prepared to properly educate your students and guide them to becoming successful adults. Throughout your Bachelor of Education degree, you will be taught practical subjects and skills like oral and written communication, psychology, mathematics, and Christian ethics. Your B.Ed. will also provide you with all the knowledge and training you’ll need to teach 6-12 grade students in the social studies discipline.
You will learn how to teach in the classroom with courses on educating different learners, instructional design, content measurement and evaluation, curriculum fundamentals, and teaching methods. Then, you will have the opportunity to practice all that you’ve learned in a real classroom full of students!
Additionally, your social studies concentration will specifically prepare you to teach this area of study to your students. Some of the topics you will learn include:
- European and U.S. history
- State and local governments
- The Age of Enlightenment
- The Civil War, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War
- EDUC 360 – Foundations of Education*
- GEOG 200 – Introduction to Geography
- HIEU 370 – Age of Enlightenments*
- HIST 300 – Historical Methodology
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our B.Ed. Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through CAEP, so you can pursue your degree with confidence.
- Graduate with licensure credentials to teach in the state of Virginia.
- Receive at least 240 hours of practical classroom experience prior to graduation.
- Observe and teach in a variety of school settings with your required practicum and student teaching hours.
B.Ed. Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Review our licensure information and resources.
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
- Potential college credit for military training.
Career Opportunities for B.Ed. in Social Studies Education Graduates
Liberty’s Bachelor of Education in Social Studies can help you start your education career. Some of the roles you may be suited for include:
- Curriculum coordinator
- High school teacher
- Homeschool teacher
- Middle school teacher
- Private school teacher
Upon successful completion of the 100% online B.Ed. program, you will be prepared with a well-respected degree in education, Virginia licensure, and over 200 hours of classroom experience. This degree will equip you with all the necessary resources, tools, and knowledge needed to succeed as a 6-12 grade social studies teacher.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.