Become a Licensed English Teacher with Liberty’s Online B.Ed. in English Education
You have a vision for making a difference through education, and we have the resources you need to make that vision a reality. Our Bachelor of Education in English Education can prepare you to teach middle and high school students the analytical skills they need to become well-rounded, thoughtful adults.
Grounded in a biblical worldview, our B.Ed. in English combines academic excellence with practical, hands-on experience in the classroom. As an English teacher, you can have a unique opportunity to directly influence the values and worldviews of your students. Partner with us, and make a difference for future generations.
Upon successful completion of Liberty University’s Virginia state-approved Bachelor of Education program, you may apply for your teaching license in another state through reciprocity, which may or may not result in additional requirements based on your state’s Department of Education regulations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor of Education Program?
Liberty’s unique licensure-track B.Ed. programs provide 100% online, Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) approved courses. With hands-on experience through student teaching and practicums in a classroom near you, you can learn to apply teaching theory to real-world problems.
With Liberty’s mission to Train Champions for Christ, you can be confident that you’ll study under dedicated professors who teach from a biblical worldview and are passionate about building up teachers who pursue excellence and Christ-like compassion. Our faculty have years of experience in their fields and can help you learn how to seamlessly integrate biblical principles into your profession.
Designed to provide maximum flexibility and convenience as a fully online program, our bachelor’s degree in English education for 6-12 grade students can give you the foundation you need to thrive as a teacher — without ever having to travel to a university campus.
What Will You Learn in Our B.Ed. in English Education Degree?
Liberty’s B.Ed. in English Education is broken down into 4 core foundations: education courses, practicum and gate courses, English courses, and student teaching. Your education courses explore the major aspects any teacher has to learn, such as evaluating student learning, creating curriculum, and seeing behavioral and individual differences between students.
As an English education student, you can complete additional courses focused on grammar, literature, writing styles, and etymology. The practicum and student teaching courses will then put your knowledge to the test. You can work in the classroom alongside a licensed teacher to see how the principles you’ve learned apply in the real world.
- ENGL 215 – English Literature I*
- ENGL 322 – Shakespeare
- ENGL 333 – Modern Grammar
- ENGL 334 – Etymology
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our B.Ed. Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Liberty University’s School of Education meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Graduate with licensure credentials to teach in the state of Virginia.
- Complete 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching prior to graduation.
- Observe and teach in a variety of school settings with your required practicum and student teaching hours.
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
B.Ed. Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Review our licensure information and resources.
Career Opportunities for English Education B.Ed. Graduates
Upon successful completion of the B.Ed. in English Education, you can be prepared with a well-respected degree in education and Virginia licensure as well as 90 practicum hours and at least 1 full semester of student teaching. This degree can equip you with all the necessary resources, tools, and knowledge needed to succeed as an English teacher for grades 6-12.
You may also pursue the following career opportunities:
- Christian or private school teacher
- Curriculum coordinator
- Homeschool teacher
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.