Master of Theology Admission Requirements
- Apply online or call (800) 424-9596 to apply to a degree program with an Admissions Counselor.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable $50 application fee will be posted on the current application upon enrollment (waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required).
- Official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy or via a direct electronic transcript system) showing regionally or nationally accredited degrees at the bachelor’s and master’s levels are required. Transcripts must show a Master of Divinity (or M.Div. equivalent — see M.Div. Equivalency Policy below) with a minimum 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Students with a GPA less than 3.0 may be considered for admission on caution. Please note: Students that confer a master’s degree with Liberty University and apply for the Th.M. must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher in order to gain admissions. Students with an LU graduate GPA below 3.0 will be denied admission.
- Admission to this program requires the following:
- Applicants whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or an approved alternate test of English proficiency: the Duolingo English test, International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP). Applicants must earn a minimum score of 105 on the Duolingo English test, 80 on the Internet-based TOEFL, a 3.9 on the iTEP, a 6.5 on the IELTS, or an equivalent score on an approved alternate test for all graduate degree programs. Applicants who have an earned degree from a college or university in the U.S. or other English-speaking country or school may have the TOEFL requirement waived by the Office of Graduate Admissions. Alternatively, applicants who successfully complete the levels of English-Second-Language (ESL) instruction indicated below at 1 of 2 schools will have the TOEFL requirement waived. Students will have their application held until transcripts from one of the below schools are received.
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must:
- Be in your final term and planning to start your post-doctoral degree after the last day of class for your master’s degree.
- Submit a transcript to confirm that you are in your final term.
- Send in an additional, final official transcript with a conferral date on it by the end of your first semester of enrollment.
Master of Divinity Equivalency Policy
- Regionally or nationally accredited seminary degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing
- 72 accredited graduate hours (any graduate credit)
- 9 hours in graduate-level Bible and/or theology
- 9 hours in graduate-level church history, apologetics, evangelism, discipleship, global studies, leadership, homiletics, and/or church ministries
Official College Transcript Policy
An acceptable official college transcript must be issued directly from the institution in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must meet the same requirements.
Master of Theology Admissions Office Contact Information
Email for questions:
Email for sending documents:
Back to the Master of Theology