Pursue Your Passion for Theological Studies by Earning an Online Master’s in Theology Degree
If you have completed your Master of Divinity but are not yet ready to pursue your DMin, then consider Liberty University’s online Master of Theology (ThM). This postgraduate degree provides additional training beyond the Master of Divinity degree.
Through coursework, scholarly research, and logical, critical thinking, the ThM seeks to provide advanced preparation for those called to service in theological education. It is also great preparation for those planning to pursue degree programs at the doctoral level. The master’s in theology postgraduate degree requires a Master of Divinity (MDiv) or equivalent for admission.
At Liberty, you can become well-prepared for careers in various theological fields with your online theology degree. You will explore theological concepts as you dive into research methods and ministry. Our master’s in theology degree online format is designed to help you pursue your passion.
We know that students who choose degrees in religious education want more than a career – they want to make an impact on congregates, students, and their community for Christ. With our theology masters online, you can gain the knowledge and training you need to make a difference in the lives of people in your community or around the world.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Theology Master’s Degree?
As a Christian university, we are committed to Training Champions for Christ. Our online master’s in theology degree is an industry leader in online theological programs taught by professionals with real-world experience in pastoral and ministry settings. Our Master of Theology degree is offered completely online. That way, you can remain active in your job, family, and community without worrying about taking courses on campus.
Our courses offer intensive study in systematic theology and apologetics – and the opportunity to understand the deeper elements of the Christian faith and how it can be applied to today’s issues. This degree allows you to grow in your faith and knowledge of the Bible.
Liberty’s professors are chosen with you in mind. The faculty members at Liberty range from Gold Medallion award-winning authors to lead pastors. We also have faculty who are seminar presenters, missionaries, church planters, and nearly every specialty the field of theology touches in professional and administrative settings.
What are the Benefits of our Master’s in Theology Online?
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Theology (ThM) degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s in theology (ThM) program has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Electronic textbooks are provided for many divinity courses* all for one convenient fee. To continue our mission of providing affordable education, this fee is waived for students who enroll by Summer 2024 D-term.
- Networking opportunities with other professionals in the master’s in theology online program from around the country.
- This online theology degree can be completed in as little as 1 year.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
What can you do with a Master of Theology online?
Most people assume that a Master of Theology (ThM) ties you to work as a church planter, a local church pastor, or a religious school teacher. However, there are many other jobs that utilize the same critical thinking, writing, and abstract reasoning skills that are necessary for this major. Our online master of theology degree can help prepare you for various careers in ministry.
Here are just a few of the jobs that your online ThM can help prepare you for:
- Bible instructor
- Ministry worker
- Non-profit worker
- Senior pastor
- Social worker
Theology Master’s Program Information
- A non-thesis track Master of Theology degree is suitable as a capstone degree for ministers seeking to focus on a particular subject area beyond what the Master of Divinity degree offers
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required)
Customize Your Master in Theology Degree Online with a Specialization
Students pursuing our Master of Theology degree are required to choose a specialization. Please review additional information about each degree in the accordions below.
Master’s in Theology Online (ThM) Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses for part-time enrollment
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Theology online are charged at the part-time rate.
A regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity (or MDiv equivalent) with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Master in Theology Degree Program?
If you are interested in an intense study of theology and apologetics, our master’s in theology is an excellent option! The core of our online master’s degree in theology features 3 foundational classes in theology.
You will study the nature, history, and current trends in biblical theology in both the Old and New Testaments. You will also study the challenges Christianity has faced throughout history. Moreover, your Christian studies courses will explore the fundamental idea of how the Gospel is understood and presented by Christians in the modern era.
Our master of theology program allows you to customize your degree with a specialized study area. These specializations include biblical studies, Christian apologetics, church history, global studies, homiletics, and theology. With a master’s degree in theology online from Liberty, you can learn essential skills and gain the tools needed to succeed in your career and ministry!
At Liberty, we want to help you make the most of your prior education by allowing you to transfer in previously earned college credit. That’s why you can transfer in up to 50% of your total credits for a master’s or doctoral program!
Some restrictions apply. Please visit our Transfer Policy page for more information.