The Master of Arts in Religion – Theology Degree Equips You to Bring Deep Scriptural Teachings to Your Ministry
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs. Students who complete an online theology studies program like the online Master of Arts in Religion will be able to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and non-profit organizations while opening the door to further study at the postgraduate and doctoral levels.
Students who complete the online Master of Arts in Religion’s area of study in theology will receive thorough training in the works of history’s greatest theologians and Christian scholars to further expand on the core content in biblical and theological studies. Students who complete the theology area of study will have an even greater understanding of how the Bible’s underlying themes and interwoven messages can minister to the Church and bring others to Christ with an effective Gospel message.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Theology Program?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees make pursuing your education easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format, while holding weight as a master’s degree credential. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online masters in religion, will give you a fully-fledged, online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
While students in any track of Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion will receive foundational instruction in the fundamentals of the Bible, Christianity, and Christian theology, students who complete the area of study in theology will pursue specialized study in advanced topics in theology to enhance their writing and ministry teaching. The theology area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion is designed for students who are fascinated by the deep, interwoven messages and themes of the Bible and enjoy the in-depth academic study of Scripture.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry, pending transfer limitations.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. Degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online Seminary Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Religion – Theology?
Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process.
The online Master of Arts in Religion’s theology area of study provides an additional, advanced study of many important topics for theologians and Christian scholars. After completing the core content in systematic theology, students in the theology area of study will dive deep into challenging concepts such as ecclesiology for the study of the biblical foundation of church organization and explore the doctrine of God for important discussions on the nature of the Trinity.
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a non-profit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- Students can complete this online Masters in Religion – Theology in less than two years.
- Liberty University’s Online Seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has theologians and experienced professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the historical foundations of the Christian church and how we can learn from our church fathers to create better unity today.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A practical ministry-focused alternative that can be completed in as little as one year.
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.T.S.) – A 36-hour, academically-focused program that can be transferred into the MAR – Theology program.
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.) Theology – A more extensive, 75-hour track in Theology that will prepare you for ministry leadership and doctoral studies.
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Religion
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Master of Arts in Religion – Church History course guide (login required).
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Divinity Programs
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts with a completed official transcript request form**
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy).
- Complete the School of Divinity Questionnaire.
- Submit Contact Information for a pastoral recommendation.
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Potential Career Options
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Lay Ministry Leader
- Teaching Pastor
- Religion Adjunct Teaching
- K-12 Religion Teaching
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue an online theological studies degree at the graduate or doctoral level. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. Program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online Masters in Religion credit. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).