Study Scripture and Prepare for Ministry with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) – Theology
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) – Theology is designed to equip ministry students with an in-depth, practical knowledge of theology, biblical studies, and Christian ministry practice.
While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that allows you to tailor your online master’s degree to your own passions and needs. Students who complete an online theological studies program like Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion can become prepared to pursue a ministry career in churches, parachurches, and nonprofit organizations while also preparing for postgraduate and doctoral studies.
What is the study of theology?
Theology is the study of God and how He relates to His creation.
Students who complete this graduate-level online religion degree with a theology specialization will receive a thorough Christian education that explores the works of history’s greatest theologians in addition to core courses in religious studies. By pursuing the theology area of study, you can gain an even greater understanding of the Bible’s underlying themes and interwoven messages. This area of study’s 4 specialized theology classes can help prepare students for church ministry and evangelism opportunities.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online MAR in Theological Studies?
As an accredited Christian university, Liberty’s online ministry degrees make pursuing your education easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format while holding weight as a master’s degree credential. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online master’s in religion, will give you an accredited college degree that can help equip you for ministry in a variety of fields.
While students in any specialization of Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion receive foundational instruction in the fundamentals of the Bible, Christianity, and Christian theology, students who complete the area of study in theology can pursue specialized study in advanced theological topics to enhance their writing and ministry teaching. The theology area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion is designed for students who are fascinated by the deep, interwoven messages and themes of the Bible and enjoy the in-depth academic study of Scripture.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry, pending transfer limitations.
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students.
- Online seminary block rate: Students pursuing 9 to 15 credit hours per semester are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn from Liberty’s Master’s in Theology Online?
Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion offers extensive, well-rounded training in ministry and the administration of Christian organizations. This program also covers biblical and theological studies.
Additionally, the online master’s in religion provides in-depth study of both the Old and New Testaments, Christian church history, systematic theology, and the process of researching, writing, and preparing a sermon.
The online theology area of study provides an additional, advanced study of many important topics for theologians and Christian scholars. After completing core content courses in systematic theology, students in the theology specialization dive deep into challenging concepts such as ecclesiology, the biblical church organization, and the doctrine of God.
- APOL 500 – Introduction to Apologetics
- THEO 620 – Ecclesiology
- THEO 626 – Doctrine of God
- THEO 630 – Eschatology
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online theology degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this online master’s in religion in just 2 years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, is led by theologians and experienced professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the historical foundations of the Christian church and how we can learn from our church fathers to create better unity today.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Military Benefits for the Online MAR in Theology
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Admission Requirements for Online Graduate Divinity Programs
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact information for a pastoral recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Potential Career Options
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion teacher
- Lay ministry leader
- Religion adjunct teacher
- Teaching pastor
Graduates of the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity’s MA in Religion can become prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while also being well situated to continue an online theological studies degree at the postgraduate or doctoral level. Since most doctoral religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).