Our Master of Arts in Religion – Community Chaplaincy Degree Prepares You to Be a Witness in a Public Role
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical education in theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online Master of Arts in Religion, one of Liberty University’s most popular online ministry degrees, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs.
Upon completing an online ministry degree program like the online Master of Arts in Religion, you will be able to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit organizations while opening the door to further study at the doctoral level.
The community chaplaincy area of study provides Christian counseling and pastoral care training aligned with public or private chaplaincy roles which may take you out of a Christian environment. Students who want to expand their ministry to become a chaplain for a company, organization, or branch of government will find additional specialized training for biblical counseling and spiritual guidance through the community chaplaincy area of study.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Religion in Community Chaplaincy?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees make pursuing an education easier with the flexibility of a 100% online format. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Master of Arts in Religion, will give you a full-fledged, online college degree in ministry that will equip you for a career in a variety of fields.
Who Are Chaplains?
A chaplain is a minister, pastor, or member of the ecclesiastical church body who serves in an official spiritual, mental health, and personal growth advisement role in a company, organization, or branch of government. While chaplaincy roles are very often in settings outside of the church, chaplains are specifically intended to address spiritual and religious concerns, allowing for a unique opportunity to share the gospel and interact with unbelievers.
You will receive foundational instruction in the fundamentals of discipleship ministry, sermon preparation, and practical ministry skills in any track of Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion. Completing the area of study in community chaplaincy will provide you with specialized training in the elements of psychology and spiritual growth that are needed in an official chaplaincy role. The online Master of Arts in Religion – Community Chaplaincy provides an in-depth study of pastoral care and Christian counseling to allow you to minister directly to the personal and spiritual needs of individuals and families in your ministry in and outside of the church.
Please note: Some chaplaincy roles may require a more specialized and advanced study of a particular field or through a Master of Divinity (M.Div) program. You can view all of Liberty University’s chaplaincy programs below for more information about the field and position-specific options.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity have a discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Religion Degree in Community Chaplaincy?
Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion is available 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, the history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process. Upon completing the online Master of Arts in Religion in Community Chaplaincy, you will be trained to apply your pastoral care and Christian ministry skills to an official chaplain role outside of the church.
Chaplain roles often have important differences from church leadership and may have restrictions based on state and federal regulations. As such, the community chaplaincy area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion provides an important overview of chaplaincy ministry and its particular requirements, as well as important role-specific skills for professional development. The community chaplaincy area of study will also prepare you with knowledge of chaplain ethics for advisement and pastoral care so that they will understand and navigate restrictions on their Christian ministry in the workplace.
- CHPL 500 – Chaplaincy Ministry
- CHPL 598 – Spiritual & Professional Development of the Chaplain
- CHPL 615 – Chaplain Ethics for Advisement and Pastoral Care
- CHPL 682 – Community Chaplaincy
M.A.R. in Community Chaplaincy Program Highlights
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete this online Master of Arts in Religion – Community Chaplaincy in under 2 years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced pastoral counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills in pastoral care that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
- Be equipped to handle challenges in church growth, no matter the size of the ministry.
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set log-in times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Community Chaplaincy Career Options
Upon competition of your Master of Arts in Religion in Community Chaplaincy online degree, you can pursue career opportunities in many areas, including:
- Corporate chaplain
- Human resources manager
- Instructional supervisor
Admission Requirements for our Online MAR in Community Chaplaincy Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Letter of recommendation
- Completed divinity questionnaire
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.