Enrich Your Ministry with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion – Church History
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical study of theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online M.A.R. degree, you can have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a thorough program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions, schedule, and future career.
Students who complete an online degree in theology studies like the online Master of Arts in Religion can use their degree to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit organizations while opening the door to future studies at the postgraduate and doctoral levels. Students who complete the online M.A.R. degree’s area of study in church history can dig deep into the foundations of the Christian church, enhancing their study and teaching with insights from early church fathers and important historical movements.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion – Church History Online Program?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees hold weight as master’s degree credentials while still providing the flexibility of a 100% online degree. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online master’s in religion, can give you a fully-fledged, college degree that can equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. Students who pursue the online Master of Arts in Religion with the church history area of study can receive thorough training in many important areas of ministry.
Students can also undergo a deep examination of the history of biblical peoples and events, as well as explore the challenges met by the early church. Your studies in the Old and New Testament, theology, and other core ministry skills are also augmented by an appreciation of how Christian scholarship has developed over history.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to potentially get college credit for personal studies and ministry expertise.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their M.A.R. content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a
- Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Church History?
Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Religion can be completed 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion provides in-depth studies of the Old and New Testaments, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process.
Students in the church history area of study can learn the history of evangelism, hermeneutics, and Christianity along with gaining a firm grasp of how the Reformation and other important historical events in church history had an impact on contemporary evangelism.
- CHHI 620 – History of Global Christianity
- CHHI 650 – Classical Reformation*
- CHHI 660 – American Christianity
- CHHI 670 – History of Evangelicalism
*Course Guide coming soon
M.A.R. in Church History Program Highlights
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete the online M.A.R. in Church History in just 2 years.
- Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity has theologians and experienced ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop a deep understanding of the historical foundations of the Christian church and how we can learn from our church fathers to create better unity today.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) courses, which fall under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Religion
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time students
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online M.A.R. are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue graduate or doctoral studies.
Since most doctoral-level religion programs require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and will receive the maximum possible transfer credit for their online M.A.R. degree. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and non-licensure K-12 religious studies teaching.
Some of the other positions this program prepares you for include:
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion teacher
- Lay ministry leader
- Religion adjunct teaching
- Teaching pastor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online M.A. in Religion
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Letter of recommendation
- Completed divinity questionnaire
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.