Enrich Your Ministry with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion – Church History
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical study of theology, biblical studies, and ministry practice. While completing the online MAR degree, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a thorough program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions, schedule, and future career.
Students who complete an online degree in theology studies like the online Master of Arts in Religion will be able to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit organizations while opening the door to further study at the postgraduate and doctoral levels. Students who complete the online MAR degree’s area of study in church history will dig deep into the foundations of the Christian church, enhancing their study and teaching with insights from early church fathers and important historical movements.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion – Church History Online Program?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees hold weight as master’s degree credentials while still providing the flexibility of a 100% online degree. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online master’s in religion, will give you a fully-fledged, online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. Students who pursue the online Master of Arts in Religion with the church history area of study will receive a thorough background in many important ministry skills and knowledge.
Students will also undergo a deep examination of the history of biblical peoples and events, as well as explore the challenges met by the early church. Students’ studies in the Old and New Testament, theology, and other core ministry skills are augmented by an appreciation of how Christian scholarship has developed over history.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online religion degrees through the online seminary have a discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Church History?
Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testaments, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process. The church history area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion provides an in-depth look at the formation of the Christian church in topics that build on the core areas of the program.
Students in the church history area of study will learn the history of evangelism, hermeneutics, and Christianity along with gaining a firm grasp of how the Reformation and other important historical events in church history had an impact on contemporary evangelism.
- CHHI 620 – History of Global Christianity
- CHHI 650 – Classical Reformation
- CHHI 660 – American Christianity
- CHHI 670 – History of Evangelicalism
MAR Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete this online Masters in Religion – Church History in two years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has theologians and experienced ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop a deep understanding of the historical foundations of the Christian church and how we can learn from our church fathers to create better unity today.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Religion
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set log-in times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue graduate or doctoral studies. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. Program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online master’s in religion credit. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion teacher
- Lay ministry leader
- Religion adjunct teaching
- Teaching pastor
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Religion
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Letter of recommendation
- Completed divinity questionnaire
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.