Enrich Your Ministry with Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion – Christian History Degree Online
Understanding the roots of the Christian church is vital knowledge for any ministry professional. If you want to embark on an in-depth exploration of topics like the Reformation and the history of evangelicalism, Liberty can help! Our 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) – Church History degree provides training in important foundations and historical movements within the Christian church.
The core content of our MAR program offers a practical study of sermon preparation, evangelism, and discipleship ministries. With the church history specialization, you’ll have the opportunity to explore how the church came to be what it is today. Our goal is to help you pursue rewarding ministry opportunities in churches, parachurch settings, and nonprofit organizations.
At Liberty, you can enhance your personal study of Scripture and prepare to more effectively share the Gospel with other people. As you explore the challenges faced by the early Christian church, you can hone your understanding of how we can learn from our church fathers and create better unity today.
Partner with us and see how far a master’s in Christian history degree can take you!
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Religion – Church History Online Program?
As an accredited university, Liberty offers a history of Christianity master’s degree that holds weight as an advanced educational credential while providing the flexibility of a 100% online program. Our goal is to help equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. Whether you are currently serving as a ministry professional or looking to pursue new job opportunities, we can help you develop the knowledge and skills needed to impact the world for Christ.
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance learning since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has not. We’re committed to offering online programs that blend flexibility, affordability, and accessibility. Because our master’s in church history courses are offered 100% online, you’ll have the freedom to earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
Throughout this program, you’ll study under faculty who are well-versed in their field and firmly rooted in the Christian faith. You can learn from their expertise and hone your understanding of Scripture as you dig deep into the foundations of the Christian church.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Online Christian History Degree?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges or seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- As an online seminary student, you can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to receive potential college credit for prior knowledge.*
- As a special exception to Liberty’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who complete the online Master of Arts in Religion and then decide to continue their studies by pursuing the Master of Divinity (MDiv) can potentially transfer all 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the MDiv degree.
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students.
- Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!**
*Subject to transfer limits.
**Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Religion online are charged at the part-time rate.
What is the difference between an MDiv and the MAR in Church History?
Liberty’s Master of Divinity and Master of Arts in Religion have many similarities, with both providing an in-depth look at topics like apologetics, the Old and New Testaments, and sermon preparation. However, the MDiv is a broader, more comprehensive degree that offers training in additional subjects, such as Greek and Hebrew language tools.
If you complete your MAR and later want to pursue an MDiv, you can potentially transfer your entire MAR degree into our online MDiv program — saving you time and money! For instance, you may be interested in our MDiv in Church History.
What Will You Learn in Our Online History of Christianity Master’s Degree Program?
This program offers a mix of core religion classes and church history courses online. You can enrich your study of religion while exploring the foundations of the early church. With this knowledge, you can prepare to serve in a variety of ministry roles, both inside and outside the church.
The core of the online master’s in religion provides in-depth studies of the Old and New Testaments, systematic theology, global studies, and evangelism. You can also study the art of researching and writing sermons as well as essential topics in hermeneutics and biblical interpretation.
Within our church history courses online, you’ll explore the historic expansion of global Christianity from the first century to the present day. Additionally, you’ll study how the Reformation and other important historical events in church history have impacted contemporary evangelism. You’ll also learn about the particulars of Christianity in America so you can understand how the church and our nation have affected each other.
After earning this church history degree, you may want to pursue our online Doctor of Ministry (DMin).
- APOL 500 – Introduction to Apologetics
- CHHI 620 – History of Global Christianity
- CHHI 660 – American Christianity
- CHHI 670 – History of Evangelicalism
Highlights of Our MAR in Church History Degree Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online history of the church degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our Christian history degree is offered 100% online, giving you the flexibility to complete your coursework from the comfort of your home.
- You can complete the online MAR in Church History in just 2 years.
- Learn from experienced theologians and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Study content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online MA in Religion – Christian History Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online MAR are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Christian Religious History Degree
Our Christian history courses online can help you tackle challenges in ministry roles at churches and parachurch organizations. Additionally, our Christian history degree may help you qualify for college-level and non-licensure K-12 religious studies teaching positions. Some of the other roles you could pursue include:
- Adjunct religion instructor
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion instructor (non-licensure)
- Lay ministry leader
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Master’s in Church History Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Contact information for a pastoral recommender
- School of Divinity questionnaire
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.