Study the Foundations of the Christian Faith by Earning a Master of Divinity in Church History Online Degree
Are you passionate about ministry and the history of the church? Liberty University’s Master of Divinity (M.Div.) in Church History online degree will give you the opportunity to explore both of these passions. Our 100% online, 75-hour program gives you the flexibility to continue pursuing ministry while earning your degree. You will experience a wide variety of foundational coursework in topics like discipleship, evangelism, sermon preparation, hermeneutics, and theology. Additionally, this degree will allow you to gain an enhanced understanding of the history and development of the Christian faith. Our M.Div. in Church History is ideal for you if you are seeking out a career as a Christian educator, curriculum director, or pastor.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Master of Divinity in Church History Online Degree?
Your study of church history will be an enriching journey, learning about important events, people, and ideas that span over two millennia. You can confidently pursue your M.Div. in Church History at Liberty University knowing we have solid accreditation and reputable degree programs. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ, and we hope that learning the foundation and history of Christianity will propel you to effectively share the Gospel of Jesus Christ to your family, community, and beyond.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Divinity in Church History Online Degree?
Our Master of Divinity online programs feature a wide variety of in-depth coursework ranging from the study of apologetics, church ministry, evangelism, and homiletics, to Old and New Testament study and theology. Throughout our Church history degree specialization, you will have the opportunity to study essential biblical and historical events over the past 2,000 years, from the first-century challenges believers faced and the rise of the Christian church through the Middle Ages, to Christianity becoming the most widely practiced religion in the world. Your mastery of the history of the church can enable you to become an effective teacher, preacher, disciple, and leader in present-day ministries.
We encourage you to review our featured courses section and explore what you could be learning as early as our next start date!
- CHHI 610 – Historical Development of Christian Theology
- CHHI 620 – History of Global Christianity
- CHHI 665 – History of Baptists
- CHHI 670 – History of Evangelicalism
Master of Divinity Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity
- View the Degree Completion Plan
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required)
Online Master of Divinity Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 (per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the M.Div. Online Degree
- Christian educator
- Curriculum director
- Instructional supervisor
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 GPA or above is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral Recommendation Contact Information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Our M.Div. Online Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Divinity degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our M.Div. online programs has not increased in 8 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Study under theologians and missionaries with real-world experience in our online M.Div.’s web-based content developed by Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Complete content for the M.Div. program 100% online.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.