Dig Deep into Scripture with our Online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) – Biblical Studies
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) with the Biblical Studies area of study is designed to prepare students entering ministry with an in-depth but practical study of theology and ministry practice with an emphasis on rich biblical studies. While completing an online ministry degree, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs. Students who complete online degrees in theology or religion, such as the Master of Arts in Religion, will be able to effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit ministry while opening the door to further study at the graduate and doctoral levels. The Biblical Studies area of study for the Master of Arts in Religion provides a more in-depth examination of individual books, topics, and themes in the Bible, providing a deep understanding for teaching, ministry, and personal growth.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Biblical Studies?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees holds weight with our Master’s Degree credentials while still providing the flexibility of a 100% online degree. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online Masters in Religion, will give you a fully-fledged, accredited online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of fields. With the Biblical Studies area of study for the online Master of Arts in Religion, you can dive deep into the Bible and learn to prepare sermons on important, timely lessons for your congregation or small group while still receiving broad exposure to various topics important to other forms of ministry.
With biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas, Liberty University’s online seminary program will prepare you for successful ministry teaching and a deeper walk with Christ.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s Online Program’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have a graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online Seminary Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the MAR are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in our Online Masters of Arts in Religion – Biblical Studies?
Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online Masters in Religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, History of Christianity, Systematic Theology, and the Research, Writing, and sermon preparation process. The Biblical Studies area of focus provides students with an opportunity to expand their knowledge of the Scriptures from the orientation course content to specialized studies of individual books, with a thorough examination of themes and ideas that weave through the Bible. Book studies in the Biblical Studies area of study will provide a historical and cultural study of people and events in the Bible, as well as the unique and providential place they have in the story of the Bible and the Gospel.
Students who pursue an online ministry program through Liberty University’s online seminary will also be prepared for an academic career of writing and research leading to further graduate studies through the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or a Doctoral program such as the online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.). The online Master of Arts in Religion is a well-balanced, thorough blend of theory and practical studies that will suit students pursuing active ministry as well as academics.
Highlights of Our Online Biblical Studies Program
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Liberty University’s Online Seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has theologians and experienced ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Pursue deeper understanding of the Scripture through individual book studies and exploration of biblical themes through the Biblical Studies area of study.
- You may also be interested in viewing other programs in the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the Graduate Course Syllabi for information about individual course content. (login required)
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Religion
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for undergraduate (per credit hour)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as an First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of our Biblical Studies Online Degree
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue graduate or doctoral studies. Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online Masters in Religion credit. In the meantime, graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).
- Associate Pastor
- Church Education Administrator
- Lay Ministry Leader
- Teaching Pastor
- Religion Adjunct Teaching
- K-12 Religion Teaching
Admission Requirements for our Biblical Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. A master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution may be assessed. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral Recommendation
- Official college transcripts if available
- Unofficial college transcripts can be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.