Dig Deep into Scripture with our Online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) – Biblical Studies
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (M.A.R.) – Biblical Studies provides you with an in-depth but practical study of theology and ministry practice with an emphasis on advanced biblical studies. While completing an online ministry degree, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in a program that provides flexibility to tailor the degree plan to your passions and needs. The online Master of Arts in Religion is a well-balanced, thorough blend of theory and practical studies that will suit students pursuing active ministry as well as academics.
After completing the Master of Arts in Religion you can more effectively pursue ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, and nonprofit ministry while opening the door to further study at the graduate or doctoral levels. The biblical studies area of study provides a more in-depth examination of individual books, topics, and themes in the Bible, providing a deep understanding of teaching, ministry, and personal growth.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Master of Arts in Religion – Biblical Studies?
As an accredited online Christian college, Liberty University’s online ministry degrees hold weight as a master’s degree credential while still providing the flexibility of a 100% online degree. Liberty University’s online seminary programs, such as the online master’s in religion, will give you a full-fledged, accredited online college degree that will equip you for ministry in a variety of settings.
With the biblical studies area of study, you can dive deep into the Bible for ministry and personal growth. Through this program, you will learn to prepare sermons on important, timely lessons for your congregation or small group while receiving broad exposure to various topics important to other forms of ministry.
With biblical studies scholars in the Liberty University School of Divinity like Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas, Liberty University’s online seminary programs are designed with a curriculum that will prepare you for successful ministry teaching and a deeper relationship with Christ.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Seminary Degrees?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- Liberty University online seminary students can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to get college credit for personal studies and expertise in ministry, subject to transfer limits.
- As a special exception to Liberty University’s online program’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who pursue the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) after graduating with the online Master of Arts in Religion will be permitted to transfer up to 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the M.Div. degree.
- Liberty’s online degrees of divinity through the online seminary have graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time.
- Online seminary block rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the MAR are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Master of Arts in Religion – Biblical Studies?
Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Religion is 100% online and contains extensive, well-rounded training in ministry, administration of Christian organizations, theology studies, and biblical studies. The core of the online master’s in religion will provide in-depth topic studies of the Old and New Testament, history of Christianity, systematic theology, and the research, writing, and sermon preparation process.
The biblical studies area of focus provides you with an opportunity to expand your knowledge of the Scriptures from specialized studies of individual books and a thorough examination of themes and ideas that weave through the Bible. You will study the historical and cultural context behind individual books of the Bible, as well as the important people and events that shape biblical history.
If you pursue this online ministry program through our online seminary, you will also be prepared for an academic career of writing and research leading to further graduate studies through the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) or a doctoral program such as the online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.).
Highlights of Our Online Biblical Studies Program
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Religion degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, has theologians and experienced ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Pursue a deeper understanding of the Scripture through individual book studies and exploration of biblical themes through the biblical studies area of study.
- You may also be interested in viewing all of the graduate-level online divinity programs offered by our John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Since most doctoral-level religion degrees require a Master of Divinity (M.Div.), students who want to pursue doctoral studies would be encouraged to pursue Liberty’s online M.Div. program and will receive the maximum possible transfer of their online master’s in religion credit.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the graduate Course Guides for information about individual course content. (login required)
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Religion
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Career Options for Graduates of our Biblical Studies Online Degree
Graduates of the online seminary’s Master of Arts in Religion will be prepared to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations while being well situated to continue graduate or doctoral studies.
Graduates of Liberty’s online ministry degrees may be qualified for college-level and K-12 religious studies teaching (non-licensure).
- Adjunct religion instructor
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion instructor
- Lay ministry leader
- Teaching pastor
Admission Requirements for our Biblical Studies Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. A master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution may be assessed.
Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral Recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.