Enrich Your Knowledge of Scripture with a Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) – Online Biblical Studies Degree
Do you want to deepen your understanding of the Bible so you can enhance your ministry? Whether you are interested in full-time ministry or desire to work in research and academia, Liberty’s 100% online Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) – Biblical Studies degree can help you develop a solid foundation in theoretical concepts and practical skills.
Throughout this program, you’ll embark on an extensive study of theology and ministry practice with an emphasis on advanced biblical studies. You can become equipped to more fully grasp the Bible’s purpose and meaning while preparing to share your knowledge with others.
After completing your MAR in Biblical Studies degree online, you could pursue ministry in churches, parachurch settings, or nonprofit organizations as well as explore opportunities in academia. The biblical studies specialization provides in-depth examination of individual books, topics, and themes in the Bible, so you can develop core knowledge that is essential for teaching, ministry, and personal growth.
Partner with us and see how far a master’s in biblical studies can take you!
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online Master’s in Biblical Studies?
If you are seeking an accredited online Bible college or seminary, Liberty University’s religious studies degree in biblical studies may be right for you! This program holds weight as a master’s-level credential while providing the flexibility of a 100% online program. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ, so we offer online degrees that blend accessibility, affordability, and high-quality academics.
Prepare to pursue ministry in a variety of settings. Liberty University’s Bible study faculty are well versed in their field, firmly rooted in Scripture, and committed to your success. By studying under experienced professionals, you can develop the practical skills and knowledge you need to more fully understand God’s Word and minister to others.
Throughout this program, you’ll dive into a curriculum that has been developed by prominent biblical studies scholars, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas. Whether you want to strengthen your ministry effectiveness or grow in your personal walk with Christ, our Bible degree online can help you pursue rewarding opportunities.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Biblical Studies Master’s Degree?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- As an online seminary student, you can complete Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) to receive potential college credit for prior knowledge.*
- As a special exception to Liberty’s multi-degree transfer policy, students who complete the online Master of Arts in Religion and then decide to continue their studies by pursuing the Master of Divinity (MDiv) can potentially transfer all 60 credit hours of their MAR content to the MDiv degree.
- Liberty’s online seminary offers divinity degrees at a graduate tuition rate of just $395 per credit hour for part-time students.
- If you attend full time (9-15 credit hours), you’ll be eligible for our online seminary block rate of $2,750 per semester!**
- Liberty University’s Bible classes are available 100% online, so you can earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
*Subject to transfer limits.
**Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
MDiv vs. MAR in Biblical Studies
Liberty’s Master of Divinity (MDiv) and Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) programs have much in common, with both offering a solid foundation in topics such as sermon preparation, the Old and New Testaments, and the history of Christianity. However, the online MDiv is a more comprehensive program that also covers subjects like Greek and Hebrew language tools.
If you earn your MAR and later want to pursue an MDiv, you can potentially transfer your entire MAR degree into our online MDiv program — so you can save time and money! For instance, you may be interested in our MDiv in Biblical Studies.
What Will You Learn in Our MAR Online Degree in Biblical Studies?
This program offers a mix of core religion classes and specialized biblical studies courses. You can enrich your understanding of Christianity while taking an in-depth look at certain parts of Scripture. With this knowledge, you can prepare to serve in a variety of ministry roles, both inside and outside the church.
The core of this program covers topics like apologetics, discipleship ministries, evangelism, hermeneutics, and systematic theology. You can also study the art of researching and writing sermons so you can more effectively serve those in your congregation.
Within the biblical studies specialization, you’ll explore particular books of the Bible and dive into the overall themes and ideas that weave throughout Scripture. In addition to studying the historical and cultural context behind individual books of the Bible, you can learn about the important people and events that shaped biblical history. You’ll also examine the major hermeneutical issues associated with various biblical texts.
After earning this Bible studies degree, you may want to pursue our online Doctor of Ministry (DMin).
Highlights of Liberty’s MAR in Biblical Studies Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, is led by theologians and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills and deep theological concepts.
- If you later want to pursue a more comprehensive master’s degree, you can potentially transfer all 60 credits from Liberty University’s religion degree into the online MDiv program.
- View our other online graduate divinity programs to find the degree that best matches your interests and career goals.
- If you are seeking a regionally accredited online seminary, Liberty may be the school for you! We are regionally accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this master’s degree in Bible studies.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Master’s Degree in Biblical Studies (MAR)
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Religion are charged at the part-time rate.
Career Options for Graduates of Our MAR in Biblical Studies Online Degree
By earning Liberty University’s biblical studies MAR degree, you can prepare to tackle challenges in active, full-time ministry with churches and parachurch organizations. You could also pursue college-level or non-licensure K-12 religious studies teaching positions.
Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Adjunct religion instructor
- Associate pastor
- Church education administrator
- K-12 religion instructor (non-licensure)
- Lay ministry leader
Admission Requirements for Our Biblical Studies Master’s Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.