Learn to Advocate for Human Rights and Offer Emotional and Spiritual Care to Those Facing Disasters on a Global Scale
Does ministering to those who are suffering from disaster sound like a meaningful way for you to serve? If you are looking for ways to respond to the growing needs of your community and the people of the world, then Liberty’s Master of Arts (MA) in Humanitarian Action and Human Rights – Disaster Relief is a great place to start. Gain the knowledge and skills you need to help care for those affected by disaster situations.
Through this program, you can become equipped to serve as a professional Christian worker through your church or faith-based non-governmental organizations (NGOs). This program incorporates industry-standard best practices that can prepare you for positions on a disaster response team or other areas that require a broad knowledge of human rights and humanitarian aid. You will also see how the local church is uniquely positioned to assist those in the greatest need.
In addition to the skills you will gain in disaster relief, you will also learn about human rights at both local and global levels. Our faculty have years of experience in their respective fields, and their mission is to bolster your abilities and prepare you for success.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Disaster Relief Human Rights Degree?
If you are a busy professional, this degree is perfect for you. It is offered 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. This enables you to complete your courses wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for you without neglecting your other priorities — like your family, job, and community.
Completing the disaster relief specialization is a great way to launch a new career internationally. At Liberty, you can gain skills that prepare you for leadership positions and provide you with knowledge of the overall scope of disaster relief operations. No matter what your goals are, our disaster management master’s degree provides the affordable tuition rates, real-world training, and top-notch curriculum you need for effective emergency management and spiritual care.
What Will You Learn in Our Human Rights – Disaster Relief Master’s Program?
In this human rights program, you can examine the historical and theoretical foundations of global engagement and learn how to meet the needs of a culturally diverse world. You’ll also analyze some of the international declarations and resolutions of the United Nations Human Rights Council. The skills you gain from studying various cultures and learning how to communicate across borders can help you as you develop plans for assisting diverse populations in disaster situations.
The disaster relief specialization will focus on teaching you useful knowledge such as:
- Application of theoretical concepts of crisis response and critical incidents
- Choosing and prioritizing intervention areas
- Developing interventions and activities
- Identifying program goals along with transition or exit strategies
- The effects of stress and trauma on people and organizations
- Using data in problem analysis
Additionally, you will examine the role of faith-based organizations, communities, and pastors in the care of the emotional and spiritual health of individuals and communities following a disaster. Understanding the life cycle of a disaster and the different types of trauma that come with it will be especially helpful as you collaborate with mental health professionals and faith-based services.
Upon graduation, you can be better equipped to help others in need of relief from disasters – both locally and around the world – while maintaining control of scenarios that may endanger human rights.
- CLCM 601 – Faith-Based Program Design in Disaster Relief*
- CLCM 602 – Assessments and Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning for Faith-Based Disaster Relief Organizations*
- CRIS 605 – Crisis and First Responder Training: Skills and Techniques
- CRIS 609 – Complex Trauma and Disasters: Offering Emotional and Spiritual Care
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Online Master’s in Human Rights – Disaster Relief Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this MA in Humanitarian Action and Human Rights – Disaster Relief program in as little as 1.5 years!
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Master’s in Human Rights and Disaster Relief Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Human Rights Online Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online MA in Humanitarian Action and Human Rights are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of Our Disaster Relief and Human Rights Degree
- Civil rights analyst
- Disaster relief coordinator
- Disaster response exercise planner and facilitator
- Faith-based international development and aid worker
- Global refugee worker
- Humanitarian aid worker
- Humanitarian assistance specialist
- International humanitarian aid worker
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Human Rights and Disaster Relief Master’s Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.