Learn to Engage Globally Through Language with Liberty’s MA in Global Studies – Teaching English as a Second Language
Do you love learning about other cultures? One great way to travel the world and engage with other cultures and people is to teach English as a second language. If you’d like to learn more about what makes various countries unique and what links them together, then Liberty’s Master of Arts (MA) in Global Studies – Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) is a great way to gain the skills you need to live and work in multicultural contexts.
In this program, you can look at the distinctive aspects of various cultures while going beyond the regional differences and seeing how we all fit together globally. This program blends courses from a master’s in English as a second language with courses from an online global studies degree – giving you the tools you need to communicate with people across borders, regions, and cultures. By teaching English as a second language, you can forge friendships and relationships all over the world.
Our online master’s in global studies degree has been designed to take advantage of the skills and abilities that you bring with you and build upon them. In addition, you can test the new skills you gain through a TESL-related internship. Our faculty have years of experience in their respective fields, and their mission is to bolster your abilities and prepare you for success as you go out to engage with other cultures and religions.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s MA in Global Studies – Teaching English as a Second Language Program?
If you are a busy professional, this degree is perfect for you. It is offered online, and the classes have no set login times. This enables you to complete your courses wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for you — without neglecting your other priorities like your family, job, and community.
Completing the TESL specialization is a great way to launch a new career internationally. Your internship will allow you to make connections and gain the confidence needed to succeed in the field. This program is also an excellent choice for those who are already serving in a global context and wanting to gain additional credentials. No matter what your goals are, our global studies master’s program provides the affordable tuition rates, real-world training, and top-notch curriculum you need to prepare for effective cross-cultural engagement.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in ESL Online Global Studies Degree?
In this global studies program, you can examine the historical and theoretical foundations of global engagement and learn how to meet the needs of a culturally diverse world. You’ll also analyze past and present global issues so you can better understand how to serve in a multicultural context. The skills you gain from studying various cultures and learning how to communicate across borders can enhance your ability to teach English as a second language.
The TESL specialization will first teach you about the practical uses of the English language. You will also learn about the syntax and phonology of the major languages of the world to help you understand the unique challenges posed by a student’s primary language. You can develop the knowledge needed to help your students read, write, and speak English at an advanced level as you help prepare them for success in international and local industries that use English.
Additionally, you will take an in-depth look at cultural anthropology and world religions, allowing you to gain an appreciation for various cultures and glean insight on how best to communicate with them. Toward the end of this program, you’ll complete a TESL-related internship so you can gain practical, on-the-job experience that can enhance your chance of success and help you gain confidence. Together, your TESL skills and global studies knowledge can help you pursue international career paths in business, nonprofit work, and more.
Upon graduation, you can be better equipped to effectively engage in a global context and use language as a means of opening dialogues with people around the world!
- MLAN 519 – Second Language Acquisition
- TESL 600 – Introduction to TESL
- TESL 602 – Curriculum, Testing, and Assessment
- TESL 603 – Teaching Grammar, Lexicon, and Pronunciation
Highlights of Liberty University’s Global Studies Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Arts in Global Studies degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education
, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full – time student, this could save you an estimated $800 – 2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Your ministry matters – so when you take 9-15 credit hours per semester in your divinity program, you’ll pay a discounted block rate of $2,750. It’s our way of supporting all you do to serve others.
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You can complete this master’s in global studies – TESL program in as little as 1.5 years!
- Our online courses are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Master’s in Global Studies Online Degree Information
- This program falls under Liberty’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Global Studies Online Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Global Studies are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of Our Global Studies Master’s in Teaching English as a Second Language Degree
- Church-based global mobilizer and leader
- Cross-cultural worker
- Faith-based international development and aid worker
- Global nonprofit and non-governmental organization (NGO) service worker
- Global refugee worker
- Language instructor/coach
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Global Studies Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.