Connect with People Across Culture and Language Borders with Liberty’s Master’s in Global Studies Online – Linguistics
Our world is becoming increasingly globalized and interconnected – which means people from different cultures are interacting and sharing ideas and traditions more than ever before. One important aspect of living in a multicultural society is linguistic diversity. With so many languages being spoken in today’s world – and with people from different linguistic backgrounds constantly coming into contact with each other – having a foundational understanding of linguistics can be a valuable asset as you pursue a career in the global workforce.
Liberty University’s online Master of Arts (MA) in Global Studies – Linguistics degree can help provide you with an in-depth knowledge of intercultural communication, global engagement, and the building blocks of language. In this program, you’ll have the opportunity to analyze linguistic data across several world languages – allowing you to see how these languages differ and what patterns they have in common. By understanding how human language works, you can become better equipped to connect with people from a variety of regional and cultural backgrounds.
Our global studies graduate program also explores the effects of globalization and ways to meet the needs of our culturally diverse world. By pursuing the linguistics specialization, you can train specifically for jobs in language acquisition or translation. You’ll also gain hands-on experience by completing an internship – giving you the chance to apply what you’ve learned in a real-world setting and develop practical skills that can help bolster your résumé.
Whether you want to pursue a career domestically or abroad, our master’s in global studies online can help you understand the unique dynamics of living and working in multicultural contexts. Partner with us and see where a global studies and linguistics master’s degree can take you!
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Arts in Global Studies – Online Linguistics Degree?
At Liberty, we’re committed to helping you gain the knowledge, values, and skills essential for impacting the world. Our professors have years of experience in fields related to nonprofit work, international development, human rights advocacy, disaster relief, and refugee aid. With their guidance, you can prepare to work with diverse groups of people and address important global challenges facing today’s world.
Maybe you’re worried that going back to school will get in the way of your other priorities – like your family, job, and community. At Liberty, we have just what you need! Our online courses have no set login times, so you can fit your coursework into your schedule. Additionally, you can complete the MA in Global Studies – Linguistics degree online in as little as 1.5 years – saving you time and money.
We want you to be confident that the education you receive is of the highest quality. Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) – and our John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). You can rest assured that our degree programs have met rigorous academic standards and accreditation requirements.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Global Studies – Linguistics Degree Program?
This program is broken down into 2 parts: core global studies courses and the linguistics specialization. Within the core courses, you’ll explore topics such as cultural anthropology, the history and theory of global engagement, and intercultural communication. In addition, you will examine the power of story and communication in predominantly oral cultures and learn how to contextualize various ideas for people from diverse cultural backgrounds. You’ll also have the choice between a world religions course or an introductory course on Islam. Your internship will help tie together the various topics you’ve studied by giving you the chance to put your global engagement skills to the test in a hands-on setting.
Within the linguistics specialization, you’ll have 2 different tracks to choose from in order to customize your degree. If you are new to this field and do not have undergraduate coursework in linguistics, you can complete Option 1 – which includes courses in applied language studies, analysis of world language, and advanced semantics and pragmatics. This track can help you gain a foundational knowledge of linguistics while introducing you to some advanced topics.
If you have prior undergraduate coursework in linguistics, Option 1 is also available to you – or you can choose Option 2, which is designed to build on your knowledge to help you gain a more advanced understanding of linguistics. This track covers advanced semantics, pragmatics, phonetics, and phonology. Option 2 is likely the best option for you if you’ve completed previous studies in linguistics and want to take your knowledge further.
- LANG 500 – Applied Language Studies
- LANG 501 – Analysis of World Language
- LING 600 – Advanced Semantics and Pragmatics
- LING 605 – Advanced Phonetics
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our MA in Global Studies – Online Linguistics Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Your ministry matters – so when you take 9-15 credit hours per semester in your divinity program, you’ll pay a discounted block rate of $2,750.** It’s our way of supporting all you do to serve others.
- You can complete this Master of Arts in Global Studies – Linguistics degree in as little as 1.5 years!
- As a global studies student, you’ll have the opportunity to gain practical, hands-on experience through an internship.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
**Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Global Studies are charged at the part-time rate.
Global Studies and Linguistics Master’s Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Master’s in Global Studies – Linguistics Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Global Studies are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of Our Linguistics and Global Studies Graduate Program
- Cross-cultural worker
- Disaster relief worker
- Global nonprofit/non-governmental organization (NGO) service worker
- Global refugee worker
- Human rights/anti-trafficking advocate
- International development/aid worker
- Language acquisition coach
- Translation coach
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Global Studies Master’s Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.