Prepare for Your Future Role in Chaplaincy with Liberty University
Even if you haven’t completed a ministry-related bachelor’s degree, you can still take the next step toward a chaplaincy role by completing Liberty’s Master of Divinity in Professional Chaplaincy. Our general chaplaincy track allows you to choose a number of your courses so you can tailor your degree to your unique ministry goals.
In this program, you will complete foundational divinity coursework required of any ministry leader – whether that’s a head pastor, professor, or evangelical chaplain. The difference with our professional chaplaincy program is that you will also have the chance to complete chaplaincy field experience, or Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE). By completing this program, you can walk away with a prestigious Master of Divinity credential as well as hands-on chaplain experience that will set you apart as a leader in your field.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy?
If you are looking to pursue full-time ministry, a Master of Divinity is the best program for you. Our M.Div. in Professional Chaplaincy offers you 63 credit hours of core ministry coursework to learn all the skills you’ll need to lead with confidence and integrity in your ministry. Whether you come into this program with a ministry-related bachelor’s degree or not, you can be confident that you will gain the skills you need to be career-ready when you graduate.
In order to provide you with the best educational experience possible, we offer our program 100% online. By choosing the general track, you will only have to complete an additional 12 credit hours to finish out your degree. Within these credits, you will be able to pick electives that best suit your unique ministry goals.
What Will You Learn in Our General Professional Chaplaincy Degree?
In all of our professional chaplaincy degrees, you will complete 63 credit hours of ministry-focused studies. You will complete courses that explore other religions, the history of Christianity, and best practices in bridging the gap between the two. Additionally, you will take Greek and Hebrew classes designed to increase your understanding of Scripture from its original languages.
Within the general track, you will learn more about resilient leaders in chaplaincy. You will also be able to select a few ministry electives as well as choose to either complete Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) experience or a chaplaincy internship.
- CHPL 645 – Chaplain Resilient Leaders
- CHPL 621 – Level 1 Unit 1 Clinical Pastoral Education Online*
- CHPL 631 – Clinical Pastoral Education Unit 1*
- CHPL 699 – Chaplaincy Internship*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Professional Chaplaincy Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online professional chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) courses, which fall under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
General Professional Chaplaincy Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the Degree Completion Plan (coming soon).
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Professional Chaplaincy Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken below 9 or above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Divinity are charged at the part-time rate.
Admission Requirements for Graduate Online Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Pastoral contact information
- John W. Rawlings School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Career Opportunities for General Professional Chaplaincy Graduates
- Corporate chaplain
- First responder chaplain
- Law enforcement chaplain
- Military chaplain