Provide Biblical Counsel with Our Master of Divinity Online – Pastoral Counseling Degree
Do you have a passion for ministry, serving, and counseling others? Liberty University’s Master of Divinity (M.Div.) online in Pastoral Counseling provides training in effective pastoral counseling strategies so you can learn to serve the needs of your ministry and congregation. Through this program, you will gain a deeper understanding of discipleship, evangelism, preparing a sermon, and theology, all through a biblical and theoretical framework.
You will have the option to choose from pastoral counseling courses on various topics, including multicultural issues in counseling, human sexuality, and counseling special groups like women, young people, or the elderly. If you have a heart for people and ministry, our M.Div. in Pastoral Counseling will give you the knowledge you need to effectively lead others with a biblical perspective through the difficult circumstances in life.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Master of Divinity Online – Pastoral Counseling Degree?
Liberty University’s core mission is to Train Champions for Christ. By pursuing our Master of Divinity online, you can graduate confidently from one of the nation’s largest Christian universities. Our specialization in pastoral counseling will allow you to gain skills and knowledge that are unique and useful in your church. Our online format is an added benefit, allowing you to remain active in your family, church, and community while adding essential experience that will ensure you will be an invaluable member of your ministry.
As a Master of Divinity online student, you will not have to sacrifice quality for flexibility, as our Master of Divinity degrees are available 100% online and in 8-week course formats. Additionally, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Your degree will be widely recognized and provide the credentials you need to succeed in your career.
What Are the Benefits of the M.Div. Online?
- The Master of Divinity is the most comprehensive graduate-level seminary program available to ministers, missionaries, and ministry professionals.
- Those with shorter graduate-level seminary degrees may find that most of their previous coursework will be transferred to the M.Div. online program.
- Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) are available to test out of foundational biblical and theological studies content for the online M.Div. program.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Divinity Online – Pastoral Counseling Degree?
Our Master of Divinity online programs with numerous specializations feature a wide range of in-depth coursework in apologetics, church ministry, evangelism, homiletics, Old and New Testaments, and theology. Your instructors are equipped with the education and experience in ministry needed to communicate biblical concepts.
Our pastoral counseling specialization provides the seminary school training you need to engage many topics and areas of ministry including multicultural awareness, counseling men, women, children, the elderly, married couples, and more. We encourage you to review our featured courses below and explore what you could be learning as early as our next start date!
- PACO 504 – Multicultural Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- PACO 625 – Human Sexuality
- PACO 630 – Gerontology
- PACO 687 – Counseling Women
Master of Divinity Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Online Master of Divinity Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set log-in times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for M.Div. in Pastoral Counseling Graduates
- Church counselor (non-licensed)
- Family pastor
- Senior pastor
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 GPA or above is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Our M.Div. Online Program
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Divinity in Pastoral Counseling degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our M.Div. online programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Study under theologians and missionaries with real-world experience in our online M.Div.’s web-based content developed by Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Complete content for the M.Div. program 100% online.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.