Extend Your Ministry Reach with Our Master of Divinity Online – Leadership Degree
As the largest religion in the world, Christianity influences lives every day. Christian ministries need godly leaders, pastors, and laypeople to serve the growing needs of the Church. Do you believe this is your calling? If so, Liberty University’s Master of Divinity (MDiv) in Leadership can provide you with the knowledge and training you need to be an effective leader in ministry.
You will be provided with foundational concepts in subjects like Old and New Testament studies, hermeneutics, discipleship, and the Greek and Hebrew languages. You will also take courses that focus on leadership development, conflict resolution, and church planting. As a leader in ministry, Liberty University’s MDiv in Leadership will allow you to broaden your scope of scriptural knowledge and the roles of a leader while allowing you to continue serving in ministry.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by theCommission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Is a master’s in divinity worth it?
We believe a Master of Divinity is absolutely worth your time and effort! But first, you have to decide if this program is right for you and your goals. Take a look at these questions to find out:
- Are you passionate about God’s Word and interested in increasing your knowledge of the Gospel?
- Do you want to become better equipped to minister to others and fulfill the Great Commission?
- Do you want to move into a new role, like lead pastor, church administrator, or nonprofit director?
- Are you interested in increasing your earning potential?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then a Master of Divinity is probably the next step in your professional journey!
With an MDiv in Leadership, you can learn more about the Gospel, prepare for ministry, and become better equipped for leadership roles. Plus, you will likely see an increase in your salary. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals with a master’s make nearly 20% more than their counterparts with only a bachelor’s degree.*
So don’t wait any longer – take the next step in fulfilling God’s calling on your life by pursuing a Master of Divinity.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online September 23, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Pursue Your MDiv with Liberty Online?
Liberty University’s mission is Training Champions for Christ. Developing leaders, especially in ministry positions, is a key component of that mission. As someone who is interested in leadership within ministry roles, we understand you have professional, community, family, and ministry obligations to maintain.
Our Master of Divinity – Leadership degree is offered 100% online, so you can complete your coursework from the comfort of home. You will also benefit from some of the lowest tuition rates in the nation as well as block rates for full-time studies.
What are the benefits of earning Liberty University’s online MDiv?
- The Master of Divinity is the most comprehensive seminary program available to ministers, missionaries, and ministry professionals.
- Those with shorter graduate seminary degrees may find that most of their previous coursework will be transferred to Liberty’s MDiv online program.
- Unlike many online colleges, Liberty University is regionally accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) are available to test out of foundational biblical and theological studies content for the online MDiv program.
What does Master of Divinity mean?
A Master of Divinity is a graduate degree that prepares people to work in a professional ministry setting. This program, or its equivalent, is typically what is offered to seminary students training to become a pastor or other ministry leader.
Is a Master of Divinity a master’s degree?
Yes – a Master of Divinity is a master’s program. This is a graduate degree that prepares ministry leaders for their work.
How many credits is an MDiv?
Our Master of Divinity degrees are typically 75 credit hours, including the MDiv in Leadership. However, there are some tracks that are 90 credit hours. For our 75-credit-hour tracks, you can complete the program in just 2 years. And since our Master of Divinity is 100% online, you can still dedicate time to your church and family while earning your degree.
Can you teach with a master’s in divinity?
Yes – earning a Master of Divinity can qualify you to teach in certain settings. If you are interested in teaching at a Christian school or undergraduate religion courses at a university, this program can help you get there.
Is Liberty University a seminary?
Yes – the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity at Liberty University is a seminary. Our divinity programs prepare students to work in churches, parachurches, nonprofit organizations, and other ministries. Depending on which degree you choose, you can become qualified to work as a senior pastor, chaplain, global mobilizer, or nonprofit director.
What Will You Learn in the Leadership Master of Divinity at Liberty University Online?
As a Master of Divinity online student, you will experience a wide range of in-depth coursework in apologetics, church ministry, evangelism, homiletics, Old and New Testament, and theology. Our John W. Rawlings School of Divinity will provide you with a balanced and fruitful learning experience. You can learn theoretical and practical core knowledge that is vital for ministry leaders.
Our Master of Divinity online with a specialization in leadership features dynamic courses to prepare you for executive responsibilities in church or parachurch organization. Through this program you can learn how to think like a visionary in your pursuit of fulfilling the Great Commission. We invite you to take a look at some of our featured courses below.
- LEAD 520 – Life of Leaders
- LEAD 610 – Team Leadership and Conflict Resolution
- LEAD 620 – Mission, Vision and Strategic Planning
- LEAD 635 – Theology of Pastoral Ministry
Master of Divinity Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Online Master of Divinity Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Career Options for Graduates of the MDiv in Leadership
- Christian school educator
- Church education administrator
- Ministry program director
- Nonprofit director
- Parachurch leader
- Professor at a Christian university
- Sunday school administrator
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 GPA or above is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of the Online MDiv at Liberty University
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Divinity in Leadership from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our MDiv online programs has not increased in 9 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
Study under theologians and missionaries with real-world experience in our online MDiv’s web-based content developed by Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.