Master the Art of Preaching with an MDiv in Homiletics Degree
Has God called you to preach the Gospel as a pastor or evangelist? Liberty’s online Master of Divinity (M.Div.) – Homiletics degree provides advanced training for students who wish to preach and teach God’s Word. Our program will help you become an expert in the history, theology, and methods of preaching.
If you want to grow in your personal walk with Christ and hone your ability to share the Gospel with others, our MDiv in Homiletics may be right for you. Partner with us and prepare to serve as a Champion for Christ in the pulpit and in your community.
What is the purpose of homiletics?
Homiletics is the art of researching, writing, and delivering sermons. By completing a master’s in homiletics, you can become more effective at preaching the Word of God and helping others more fully understand Scripture.
What is the difference between a Master of Divinity and a Master of Theology in Homiletics?
A Master of Theology (Th.M.) is one step above a Master of Divinity. After earning an MDiv, you may want to pursue a higher degree that provides additional training in the areas of theology and ministry. If so, Liberty’s online Master of Theology degree is a great option for graduates of our MDiv program.
How long does an MDiv in Homiletics take to finish?
At Liberty, you can complete your MDiv degree in as little as 2 years. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you further your education without uprooting your personal and professional life.
How much does a Master of Divinity cost?
Liberty’s School of Divinity offers a discounted graduate tuition rate of $395 per credit hour for part-time students. Additionally, students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
Is Liberty University a seminary?
Yes, Liberty’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is a seminary. We offer top-notch MDiv degrees that feature flexible courses, affordable tuition rates, and ATS accreditation. You can be confident that our MDiv program will provide sound theological training that can help take your career to the next level.
Why pursue an MDiv in Homiletics?
We believe an MDiv is a valuable, worthwhile investment. Many jobs in ministry require a graduate degree, and earning your master’s can help you stand out from the competition. Additionally, it can help increase your earning potential, diversify your skill set, and equip you for a wider variety of career paths.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals who have a master’s degree earn almost 20% more per year than candidates who only have a bachelor’s degree.* Pursue your MDiv today and prepare to take on exciting and challenging job opportunities.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online September 28, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Divinity in Homiletics Program?
Our MDiv in Homiletics is offered 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can complete your degree whenever and wherever it’s most convenient for you — even from the comfort of your home!
At Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. We are accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, our courses are taught by professors who have years of experience in Christian ministry. They’ll help you gain the theological knowledge and practical skills you need to effectively share biblical truth with others.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Homiletics Courses?
This online MDiv degree contains a mix of core divinity courses and specialized homiletics training. You’ll dive into a wide variety of essential ministry topics, including apologetics, evangelism, theology, discipleship, hermeneutics, biblical leadership, and pastoral counseling. You’ll also conduct an in-depth study of the Old and New Testaments, as well as learn how to read the Bible in its original languages.
Learn how to deliver fruitful sermons that foster spiritual growth among church congregants. Through the homiletics cognate, you will be equipped to conduct expository preaching and deliver sermons based on the Old and New Testaments. By understanding how to preach at special occasions like Christmas and Easter services, weddings, and funerals, you can further bolster your effectiveness as a minister of the Gospel.
Join us and learn how to craft sermons that strengthen your church’s discipleship and community outreach ministry.
- HOMI 605 – Expository Preaching
- HOMI 635 – Preaching for Special Occasions
- HOMI 670 – Preaching from the Old Testament
- HOMI 675 – Preaching from the New Testament
Liberty’s Online MDiv in Homiletics Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Master of Divinity in Homiletics Online Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 (per semester – only $165/credit from 9 to 15 credit hours)*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
What Jobs Can You Get with a Master of Divinity in Homiletics?
- Christian educator
- Curriculum director
- Instructional supervisor
- Speaker or evangelist
- Sunday school administrator
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s MDiv Program in Homiletics
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 2.0 GPA or above is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Pastoral Recommender Contact Information
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Earning Your Master of Divinity at Liberty University Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online MDiv in Homiletics degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our online homiletics classes are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- You can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while pursuing your MDiv at Liberty University.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.