Prepare for Full-Time Ministry with a Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Divinity (M.Div.) program is designed to provide you with the backbone of an excellent divinity program plus the flexibility and freedom to select a large number of electives. With no specific specialization, you are able to mix and match courses, creating a personalized degree program that fits your passion. The online M.Div. program provides an in-depth and well-rounded study in classical disciplines such as church history, biblical studies, and theology while providing practical ministry skills.
No matter what your intended field, the online master’s in divinity can provide a pathway for preparedness in all aspects of ministry, discipleship, and Christian administration. Through the M.Div. online program, you can choose an area of study and hone your skills as you prepare to minister to others. The online Master of Divinity program can help ensure that you have the essential values, knowledge, and skills needed to serve Christ and further His kingdom.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Divinity Program Online?
Liberty University’s M.Div. online program seeks to provide a flexible way to gain the knowledge and skills you need to better meet your current ministry challenges or pursue a full-time role in ministry leadership. Students with previous ministry experience, those with extensive personal study, or even those who have previously pursued an unaccredited seminary degree, may be able to receive course credit for the online Master of Divinity program through transfer evaluation and Institutional Challenge Exams.
Those who are coming to ministry after having completed a non-ministry-related bachelor’s degree can find all of the foundational studies needed for successful ministry. If you feel under-equipped for the challenges in your current ministry role or want to transition into full-time professional ministry, the online master’s in divinity can be an excellent program for you.
What are the Benefits of the M.Div. Online?
- The Master of Divinity is the most comprehensive graduate-level seminary program available to ministers, missionaries, and ministry professionals at Liberty.
- Those with shorter graduate-level seminary degrees may find that most or all of their previous coursework can be transferred to the M.Div. online program.
- Unlike many Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) are available to potentially test out of foundational biblical and theological studies content for the online M.Div. program.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Divinity Online Degree Program?
Liberty University’s Master of Divinity program is 100% online and has many specialized areas of study to ensure that student’s ministry-specific needs are met:
- The core of the online M.Div. program delivers foundational content studies in ministry writing and research, Old and New Testament studies, apologetics, evangelism, and discipleship ministries.
- To enhance understanding and allow for better instruction, the Master of Divinity seeks to train students in the use of common language tools for word studies and in-depth research.
- Students can also dive into the original Greek and Hebrew texts by choosing to take language courses.
- Students pursuing the M.Div. online degree can choose areas of study that reflect their specific ministry needs and can have flexibility in their degree plans to ensure they have a well-rounded education.
- APOL 500 – Introduction to Apologetics
- CHHI 510 – Survey of the History of Christianity
- DSMN 500 – Discipleship Ministries
- EVAN 525 – Contemporary Evangelism
Master of Divinity Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity
- View the Degree Completion Plan
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required)
Online Master of Divinity Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences).
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours for the Master of Divinity online are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the M.Div. Online Degree
As a graduate of our M.Div. degree, you may qualify for positions including:
- Christian educator
- Christian school, church education, or Sunday school administrator
- Curriculum director
- Military, corporate or hospital/fire/police chaplain
- Senior pastor
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 2.0 or higher for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact Information for one Pastoral Recommender
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Our M.Div. Online Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our M.Div. online programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education
, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses at no cost to you.* As a full – time student, this could save you an estimated $800 – 2,000 per year on textbooks.
- Study under theologians and missionaries with practical experience in the online M.Div.’s web-based content developed by Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Choose one of the Master of Divinity’s chaplaincy tracks to gain specialized chaplaincy training that will prepare you to become a community, healthcare, or military chaplain.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) or worship studies (WRSP) courses, which fall under departments outside of the School of Divinity.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for pastoral counseling (PACO) courses, which fall under the School of Behavioral Sciences.