Prepare for Full-Time Ministry with a Master of Divinity (MDiv) Online Degree – General
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Divinity (MDiv) – General program is designed to provide you with the backbone of an excellent divinity program as well as the freedom to customize your studies with numerous electives. With no specific specialization, you’ll be able to mix and match various courses, thus creating a personalized degree program that fits your passion. The online MDiv program provides an in-depth and well-rounded overview of classical disciplines such as church history, biblical studies, and theology while fostering practical ministry skills.
No matter what your intended field is, the online Master of Divinity can help equip you for excellence in numerous aspects of ministry, discipleship, and Christian administration. Through the general MDiv online program, you can explore your unique interests and focus your studies on the areas that you’re most passionate about. Additionally, this program can help you gain the values, knowledge, and skills needed to serve Christ and further His kingdom.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Divinity Program Online – General?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance education since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has not. We’re committed to offering online divinity degrees that can help you follow God’s calling on your life. Our faculty are firmly rooted in Scripture and excited to partner with you as you take this next step in your academic journey.
Even if you don’t have a bachelor’s degree in a ministry-related field, our online MDiv program can help you gain the tools you need to serve effectively in churches, nonprofit organizations, and more. Additionally, the general MDiv degree gives you the opportunity to study a wide variety of topics and select courses that match your interests and career goals.
As part of Liberty University’s online seminary, our Master of Divinity program is offered 100% online. You can earn your degree from the comfort of your home without having to attend on-campus courses! And you can stay invested in the things that really matter — like your family, job, church, and community — while pursuing valuable credentials that can help you lead in your field with integrity.
Whether you want to increase your effectiveness in your current ministry role or transition into full-time professional ministry, Liberty’s general MDiv degree online is a great option. Partner with us and prepare to address modern ministry challenges as you impact the world for Christ.
What Are the Benefits of Earning a Master of Divinity at Liberty University Online?
- Our Master of Divinity offers a comprehensive curriculum designed to help train up ministers, missionaries, and ministry professionals.
- If you already hold a shorter, graduate-level seminary degree, most of your coursework may transfer to Liberty’s MDiv online program — allowing you to finish your degree faster!
- Unlike many Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- We offer Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE), so you can potentially earn credit for prior knowledge.*
- Liberty University’s seminary tuition offers a set block rate of $2,750 per semester when you take 9 to 15 credit hours.**
*Subject to transfer limits.
**Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why pursue a Master of Divinity degree?
Liberty’s seminary online MDiv program is a great option if you:
- Have already earned an unaccredited seminary degree and are seeking an accredited program for career purposes.
- Have previous ministry experience and hope to enhance your expertise.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in a different subject but want to pursue graduate ministry studies.
You may also be able to receive course credit for extensive personal study, ministry experience, or previous coursework through our Experience Plus program. We want to recognize the hard work you’ve already put into your career and education, so we offer ways for you to earn your degree while saving time and money — such as Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE)!
Additionally, an MDiv is often the best master’s degree to pursue if you later want to complete a doctoral divinity program, such as Liberty’s Doctor of Ministry (DMin).
How long does it take to earn an MDiv?
If you follow our carefully planned, suggested course sequence, you can finish Liberty University’s MDiv program in just 2 years while also taking advantage of our block rate!
Can I earn a seminary degree online?
Yes! Liberty’s Master of Divinity program is offered 100% online, and the courses have no set login times. As long as you submit your assignments by their respective deadlines, you can log in and complete your coursework whenever it’s most convenient for you.
What jobs can I get with an MDiv?
An MDiv degree can help you pursue a variety of rewarding careers in ordained ministry, chaplaincy, mission work, pastoral counseling, Christian education, and more! Even if you have a non-ministry-related bachelor’s degree, Liberty’s online Master of Divinity program can help you gain the knowledge and skills essential for impacting the world.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Master of Divinity Online Degree Program?
Maybe you have a wide range of interests and want to explore as many ministry topics as possible. Or perhaps you’re not yet sure which area of ministry you’d like to specialize in. If you’re seeking a diverse skill set that can help you pursue a variety of jobs, Liberty University’s online MDiv may be for you!
In this program, you’ll have the flexibility to study a variety of subjects as well as mix and match courses so you can pursue your unique goals. In addition to completing 63 credits of core courses, you can select 4 courses from a wide range of classes in homiletics, theology, evangelism, church history, and more! Some of the topics covered in this program include:
- Common Greek and Hebrew language tools for studying the Bible.
- Foundational studies in ministry writing and research.
- Old and New Testament studies, apologetics, evangelism, and discipleship ministries.
You can also complete either an internship or a capstone seminar. The internship provides an excellent opportunity for you to gain ministry experience while the capstone seminar is a great option if you already serve in ministry and want to apply what you are learning to your own ministry. Partner with us and see how far your MDiv degree can take you!
- APOL 500 – Introduction to Apologetics
- CHHI 510 – Survey of the History of Christianity
- DSMN 500 – Discipleship Ministries
- EVAN 525 – Contemporary Evangelism
General Master of Divinity Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online Master of Divinity Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for part-time graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester (only $165/credit at 15 credit hours)*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
*Credits taken below 9 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the MDiv Online Degree
- Christian educator
- Christian school, church education, or Sunday school administrator
- Curriculum director
- Senior pastor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online MDiv Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 2.0 or higher for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommender contact information
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Our General MDiv Degree Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online MDiv degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Study under theologians and missionaries who have years of real-world experience and advanced degrees in their field.
- You can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while pursuing your online MDiv at Liberty University.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.