Masters of Fine Arts in Graphic Design Admission Requirements
- Apply online or call an admissions counselor at (800) 424-9596.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable $50 application fee will be posted on the current application upon enrollment (waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required).
- Fax/scan unofficial college transcripts. Please note: Unofficial transcripts can be used for acceptance purposes with the submission of a transcript request form.
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copy or via a direct electronic transcript system) that show a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with at least a 3.0 for admission in good standing. Students with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered for admission on caution. Applicants who have earned a master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution will be assessed by the master’s-level work.
- Admission to this program requires:
- Artist Statement — The artist statement should include your artistic background, area(s) of specialty, and the intended direction of your work. This is your opportunity to provide context for your art and design. This will be submitted through SlideRoom in conjuncture with the portfolio.
- Master of Fine Arts Portfolio — The successful portfolio* should include a total of 20 items that best depict the applicant’s abilities and interests in their desired field of study.** Submitted items should be professionally photographed/composed and be client-ready. Neat and professional presentation, layout, and image quality should be considered by the applicant when submitting his/her work for review. The submitted work samples should demonstrate the applicant’s strong graphic design skills, aesthetic style, and potential for success in the program. All submitted items should be original creative artifacts designed by the applicant. Credit must be given when collaborative works are included. This will be submitted via SlideRoom, which requires a $10 non-refundable fee. Provide exactly 20 items including any of the following: images (up to 5MB each), video (up to 250MB each), PDFs (up to 10MB each), and models (Sketchfab).*Students who transfer at least 30 credit hours into the program will have the portfolio requirement waived for admission.
**Applications for the online MFA will only be considered in the area of graphic design.
- Applicants whose native language is other than English must submit official scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an approved alternative assessment. For information on alternative assessments or TOEFL waivers, please call Admissions or view the official International Admissions policy.
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must:
- Be in your final term and planning to start your master’s degree after the last day of class for your bachelor’s degree.
- Submit an official/unofficial transcript to confirm that you are in your final term. The preliminary transcripts must show a minimum of 105 completed credit hours.
- If you are a current Liberty University student completing your undergraduate degree, you will need to submit a Degree/Certificate Completion Application.
- Send in an additional, final official transcript with a conferral date on it by the end of your first semester of enrollment.
If you plan to dual enroll in both a bachelor’s and master’s degree program, you must:
- Contact the Registrar’s Office to obtain a dual enrollment application.
- Complete and submit an application for admission.
As a non-Liberty undergraduate student, in addition to completing and submitting an application for admission, you must:
- Contact and speak with our Registrar directly.
- Have your current university’s registrar send Liberty’s Registrar’s Office an official letter to confirm that you are in the last 9 hours of your undergraduate degree program.
Unofficial College Transcript Policy
An unofficial copy of the college transcript can either be faxed from the institution, printed from the school’s official site or an opened copy that you may have in your possession.
Before sending unofficial college transcripts, please make sure they include the following:
- Your previous school’s name or logo printed on the document
- Cumulative GPA
- A list of completed courses and earned credit broken down by semester
- Degree and date conferred (if applicable)
Official College Transcript Policy
An acceptable official college transcript must be issued directly from the institution in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must meet the same requirements.
Official college transcripts are not required initially for acceptance if unofficial transcripts are provided. However, if the student uses unofficial transcripts to earn acceptance, all official transcripts must be received within 60 days of the admission decision. Failure to send all official transcripts within the 60-day time frame will prevent registration.
Liberty University Admissions Office Contact Information
Email for questions:
Email for sending documents:
Back to the Master of Fine Arts in Graphic Design.