Become a Game Changer with a Master’s in Sports Management from Liberty University
Are you a sports enthusiast with a passion for athletics? Maybe you already work in sports, but you’d like to earn a career-enhancing credential that can help you stand out to hiring managers, put you in line for a pay raise at your current job, or launch your career to new heights. If that sounds like you, Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Sports Management – General (Non-Thesis) degree can help give you a competitive edge in the multi-billion-dollar sports industry.
Sports management professionals handle finances, facility management, marketing, and event management for sports organizations and teams. They can apply their skills to nearly all types of sports-related industries, including recreation, social and private organizations, government, amateur, college-level athletics, and professional sports. Several of our sports management graduates have gone on to work for professional sports organizations, including the Washington Football Team.
By partnering with us, you can earn your sports management master’s degree in as little as 1.5 years. Our graduate-level coursework can help prepare you for managerial, administrative, and analyst roles within the field of sports.
At Liberty, your success is our success, and we would be honored to serve you as you strive to accomplish your career goals. Apply today and become an ethical, principled difference-maker in the world of sports.
What is sports management?
Sports management is the field of business that pertains specifically to sports and recreation. Sports management is a broad, diverse field that employs professionals skilled in marketing, public relations, law, finance, economics, sales, and other in-demand areas.
Liberty’s sports management graduate program can help you pursue a number of careers dealing with sports and business. Whether you want to be a sports agent, an athletic director, a coach, or a sports marketing professional, Liberty’s MS in Sports Management – General can help equip you with skills pertinent to running an effective sports enterprise.
Why Choose Our Master’s in Sports Management Online Degree?
Liberty University has earned specialized accreditation for its online master’s in sports management programs through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA). This distinction shows that your degree has a stamp of approval from a reputable sports management accrediting agency. Liberty is also regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can feel confident that you are studying at a respected institution of higher learning.
Because our sports management master’s program can be completed 100% online, you’ll have the freedom to study from your own home or office. You can remain active in your job, family, and community without the worry of having to take courses on-campus. You will also complete an internship as part of your degree — allowing you to gain hands-on experience in sports management at a site near you.
Benefits of Earning a Master’s Degree in Sports Management
- Convenient 8-week, 100% online courses
- Potential for a pay raise in your current sports management job
- Potential for increased job opportunities in the field of sports administration
- Sports management courses taught by distinguished professors with years of real-world experience
- Transfer in up to 50% of your required classes (visit the transfer policy page for more information)
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Sports Management Degree?
The sports industry is constantly changing. With our sports management master’s degree, you can gain the skills you need to be successful in the field of sports administration. Throughout this degree, you can examine the background of sports, gain valuable insight into the industry, and look at the nature of marketing and public relations from a strategic sport marketing perspective.
The core courses in this degree include a review of social issues. In addition, our course in financial and economic management can help provide you with the foundational knowledge you need to excel in sport finance.
Like any industry, the sports industry poses its own unique set of challenges. For example, the Mitchell Report of 2007 uncovered decades of performance-enhancing drug abuse by dozens of well-known Major League Baseball (MLB) players. The report sent Major League Baseball into crisis mode, and sports management professionals played a key role in helping the MLB recover from the report’s allegations. This degree program seeks to help you address such issues from a managerial perspective.
Specifically, courses in sports marketing and public relations, ethics in sport, and legal issues in sport can help prepare you to deal with times of PR crisis for sports organizations, such as the challenges posed to Major League Baseball by the Mitchell Report.
Additionally, with no set courses in the general specialization, our sports management master’s program online allows you to choose specific courses that fit your personal and professional goals. The general non-thesis track gives you the flexibility to select 3 sports management courses in subjects of your choosing. Because this degree is offered online, you can also have networking opportunities with other students across the country.
- SMGT 501 – Social Issues in Sport Management
- SMGT 502 – Sport Marketing and Public Relations
- SMGT 503 – Ethics in Sport
- SMGT 506 – Economics and Financial Management of Sport
Master’s in Sports Management Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online sports management master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University’s online Master of Science in Sports Management is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
- You will complete a 400-hour internship as part of your sports management degree.
- You can complete our online master’s in sports management degree in as little as 1.5 years.
- Network with other sports enthusiasts in the program from around the country.
Online Master’s in Sports Management Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- Explore the MS in Sports Management — General (Non-Thesis) Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Master’s in Sports Management Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options for Sports Management Graduates
A degree in sports management can open the door to many potential careers, including:
- Athletic facility manager
- Athletics marketer/public relations specialist
- Event planner
- Sports broadcaster
Admission Requirements for Our Master’s in Sports Management – General (Non-Thesis)
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.