Become a Game Changer with a Master’s in Sports Management from Liberty University
Are you a sports enthusiast with a passion for athletics? Maybe you already work in sports, but you’d like to earn a career-enhancing credential that can help you stand out to hiring managers, put you in line for a pay raise at your current job, or launch your career to new heights. If that sounds like you, Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Sports Management – General (Non-Thesis) degree can help give you a competitive edge in the multi-billion-dollar sports industry.
Sports management professionals handle finances, facility management, marketing, and event management for sports organizations and teams. They can apply their skills to nearly all types of sports-related industries, including recreation, social and private organizations, government, amateur, college-level athletics, and professional sports. Several of our sports management graduates have gone on to work for professional sports organizations, including the Washington Football Team.
By partnering with us, you can earn your sports management master’s degree in as little as 1.5 years. Our graduate-level coursework can help prepare you for managerial, administrative, and analyst roles within the field of sports.
At Liberty, your success is our success, and we would be honored to serve you as you strive to accomplish your career goals. Apply today and become an ethical, principled difference-maker in the world of sports.
What is sports management?
Sports management is the field of business that pertains specifically to sports and recreation. Sports management is a broad, diverse field that employs professionals skilled in marketing, public relations, law, finance, economics, sales, and other in-demand areas.
Liberty’s sports management graduate program can help you pursue a number of careers dealing with sports and business. Whether you want to be a sports agent, an athletic director, a coach, or a sports marketing professional, Liberty’s MS in Sports Management – General can help equip you with skills pertinent to running an effective sports enterprise.
Why Choose Our Sports Management Master’s Online Degree?
Liberty University has earned specialized accreditation for its online master’s in sports management programs through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA). This distinction shows that your degree has a stamp of approval from a reputable sports management accrediting agency. Liberty is also regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can feel confident that you are studying at a respected institution of higher learning.
At Liberty, we have been training principled leaders since 1971 – and we’ve been doing it on a distance platform since 1985. As a pioneer in distance education, we understand how to design an online sports management degree that enhances your life. We understand you have personal commitments to your job, family, and community – which is why our online sports management degree can be completed with no set login times and no required intensives.
With our sports management master’s program, you’ll have the freedom to study from your own home or office. You can remain active in your job, family, and community without the worry of having to take courses on-campus. You will also complete an internship as part of your degree — allowing you to gain hands-on experience in sports management at a site near you as you prepare for a sport management career.
Can you earn a sports management degree online?
Yes! At Liberty University, you are able to earn a master’s degree in sports management without having to take courses on our residential campus. Though you’ll report to an approved location near you for your internship, you’ll be able to complete your degree from the comfort of home while remaining committed to your family and community.
Benefits of Earning a Master’s Degree in Sports Management
- Convenient 8-week, 100% online courses
- Potential for a pay raise in your current sports management job
- Potential for increased job opportunities in the field of sports administration
- Sports management courses taught by distinguished professors with years of real-world experience
- Transfer in up to 50% of your required classes (visit the transfer policy page for more information)
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s in Sports Management Degree?
The sports industry is constantly changing. With our sports management degree program, you can gain the skills you need to be successful in the field of sports administration. Throughout this degree, you can examine the background of sports, gain valuable insight into the industry, and look at the nature of marketing and public relations from a strategic sport marketing perspective.
As a sport management major, you’ll begin by studying social issues in sport management, sport marketing and public relations, and ethics in sport. You’ll also study the foundations of sport outreach, legal issues in sports, financial principles in sport management, and research in sports, recreation, and tourism.
In addition, this sport management degree online allows you to select 3 electives of your choosing. That way, you’ll be able to tailor your degree to meet your unique career interests or wade into new subjects you’re simply interested in learning more about.
From there, you will complete a comprehensive exam that covers everything you’ve learned in your core sports management courses. A passing score on the exam is required for you to move on to the next and final part of your degree: an internship.
Our sports management internship can be completed in either 1 or 2 semesters – so long as you complete a minimum of 400 hours. This internship can be completed at a location near you and is an excellent opportunity for you to gain hands-on experience in the field you’re most passionate about: managing sports.
Online Sports Management Degrees in Action
Like any industry, the sports industry poses its own unique set of challenges. For example, the Mitchell Report of 2007 uncovered decades of performance-enhancing drug abuse by dozens of well-known Major League Baseball (MLB) players. The report sent Major League Baseball into crisis mode, and sports management professionals played a key role in helping the MLB recover from the report’s allegations. This degree program seeks to help you address such issues from a managerial perspective.
Specifically, this degree’s courses in sports marketing and public relations, ethics in sport, and legal issues in sport can help prepare you to deal with times of PR crisis for sports organizations, such as the challenges posed to Major League Baseball by the Mitchell Report.
However, this degree program doesn’t just offer you the opportunity to earn a career-enhancing credential – it allows you to network with like-minded professionals across the country. Through collaborative discussion boards and group assignments, you’ll be introduced to people who share your passion for sports management. You’ll also be able to make mentors out of our expert professors – who have years of experience and a true passion for your success.
Partner with a university that has your best interest at heart. Choose Liberty, earn a valuable degree, and take your career to new heights.
- SMGT 501 – Social Issues in Sport Management
- SMGT 502 – Sport Marketing and Public Relations
- SMGT 503 – Ethics in Sport
- SMGT 506 – Economics and Financial Management of Sport
Master’s in Sports Management Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online sports management master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Liberty University’s online Master of Science in Sports Management is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA).
- You will complete a 400-hour internship as part of your sports management degree.
- You can complete our online master’s in sports management degree in as little as 1.5 years.
- Network with other sports enthusiasts in the program from around the country.
Online Master’s in Sports Management Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- Explore the MS in Sports Management — General (Non-Thesis) Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Master’s in Sports Management Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options for Sports Management Graduates
A degree in sports management can open the door to many potential careers. If you’re curious to learn more about sports management degree jobs, here are a few possible career paths:
- Athletic facility manager
- Athletics marketer/public relations specialist
- Event planner
- Sports broadcaster
Admission Requirements for Our Master’s in Sports Management – General (Non-Thesis)
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.