Provide Counseling from a Biblical Perspective with Liberty’s EdS in Pastoral Care and Counseling Degree
Are you passionate about helping people work through life’s challenges? With Liberty’s Education Specialist (EdS) in Community Care and Counseling – Pastoral Care and Counseling, you can learn how to combine biblical principles with effective counseling techniques and help hurting people find healing. Throughout this program, you’ll explore practical methods for promoting spiritual, mental, and emotional health in your community.
As a postgraduate program, the EdS degree in pastoral counseling allows you to gain doctoral-level training and finish in just 1 year. If you’re thinking about later pursuing a full doctoral degree, you can potentially transfer up to 27 credits from this EdS into our Doctor of Education (EdD) in Community Care and Counseling program – allowing you to get a jumpstart on your doctorate!
This online EdS is a great option if you’re a pastor, licensed professional counselor, marriage and family therapist, or clinical social worker looking to further your career. With guidance from our seasoned faculty, you can develop the skills needed to excel as an educator, administrator, or researcher in the helping professions.
Please note: This EdS degree is not designed to meet state counseling licensure requirements. If you are interested in a counseling license, please see our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy, or Master of Education in School Counseling.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online EdS Degree in Pastoral Counseling?
This pastoral counseling degree is designed to help you integrate research, theory, application, and biblical truth as you serve those in your community. If you have a passion for reaching hurting individuals with the love of Christ, our EdS in pastoral care and counseling degree can help you gain the knowledge, skills, and values you need to make your counseling ministry more effective.
As a pioneer in distance learning since 1985, Liberty seeks to offer programs that fit your busy schedule. That’s why our EdS degree in pastoral counseling is available 100% online with no set login times. At Liberty, you’ll be able to stay invested in the things that matter – like your family, job, church, and community – while pursuing your goals.
Additionally, Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), and our faculty have years of experience in the field. With our rigorous curriculum and expert instructors, you can rest assured that you are receiving an education of the highest quality.
At Liberty, you can gain a well-rounded perspective on how to help those around you find lasting peace. We believe that mental health and spiritual health go hand in hand, which is why our EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Pastoral Care and Counseling offers a biblical approach to understanding human nature and suffering. That way, you can learn how to help people grow in their walk with Christ and use their faith to overcome life’s challenges.
What Will You Learn in Our EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Pastoral Counseling Degree Program?
In this pastoral counseling degree, you’ll explore a variety of core topics such as advanced group counseling, applied counseling theories, and research methods. You’ll also study the community mental health system with an emphasis on community outreach, intervention, client advocacy, and multicultural competence. By examining the key issues and trends facing pastoral and community counselors today, you can learn how to serve your clients with wisdom and grace.
In addition, you will study teaching and learning strategies for use in the human services educational context – preparing you to potentially teach at a college or university. You’ll also learn about counseling and treatment strategies through the lens of a Christian worldview and explore a holistic approach that accounts for the emotional, psychosocial, and spiritual aspects of human existence.
Within the pastoral care and counseling specialization, you will examine ethical issues related to pastoral counseling as well as strategies for promoting your personal growth as a Christian counselor. Additionally, you can learn how to address various issues that impact individuals and families – including childbirth, parenting, and blended family situations. If you want to work with engaged or married couples, our pastoral care degree can also help you promote marital health, enrichment, and stability from a biblical standpoint.
- EDCO 821 – Ethics and Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- EDCO 826 – Growth and Development of the Pastoral Counselor
- EDCO 831 – Individual and Family Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- EDCO 836 – Premarital and Marital Issues in Pastoral Counseling
Highlights of Liberty’s EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Online Pastoral Counseling Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- You can complete this pastoral care and counseling degree in as little as 1 year!
- After completing your EdS degree through Liberty University, you can potentially transfer in up to 27 credits to our EdD in Community Care and Counseling.
EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Pastoral Counseling Degree Online Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Our EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Pastoral Care Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for EdS courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of the EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Pastoral Care Degree Online
- Christian counselor
- Non-licensed counselor
- Pastoral counselor
- University professor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s EdS Degree in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.