Promote Unity and Growth with Liberty’s EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Marriage and Family Counseling
Getting married and starting a family can be wonderful, but sometimes families and couples need professional help as they navigate life together. Married people may face financial disagreements or communication issues, and families may struggle with problems related to divorce, remarriage, illness, or the addition of new family members. These problems – and many others – may require guidance from a skilled counselor who understands the importance of both mental and spiritual health.
With Liberty’s online Education Specialist (EdS) in Community Care and Counseling – Marriage and Family Counseling degree, you can learn how to help families and couples grow closer together. You can also develop the skills needed to work as an educator, administrator, researcher, supervisor, or consultant in the helping professions.
If you are a licensed counselor, therapist, or social worker, our family and marriage counseling degree program can help you prepare for the next step in your career. Partner with us and become equipped to help meet the needs of families in your community.
Please note: This EdS degree is not designed to meet state counseling licensure requirements. If you are interested in a counseling license, please see our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy, or Master of Education in School Counseling.
Why Choose Liberty’s EdS in Family and Marriage Counseling Degree Online?
At Liberty, we offer online programs that blend flexibility, affordability, and high-quality academics. Our EdS degree in marriage counseling is available 100% online with no set login times – meaning you’ll have the freedom to earn your degree from the comfort of home and easily access your course materials whenever you need them. Most importantly, you can stay invested in your family, job, and community while pursuing your academic goals.
As a postgraduate program, the EdS in family and marriage counseling degree can provide you with doctoral-level training and knowledge in as little as 1 year. Thinking about later pursuing a full doctoral degree? If so, you can potentially transfer up to 27 credits from this EdS into our Doctor of Education (EdD) in Community Care and Counseling program – allowing you to get a jumpstart on your terminal degree!
Additionally, our online family counseling degree emphasizes the importance of ethical behavior and biblical truth in the field of counseling, and our faculty are committed to helping you lead with excellence. Liberty is also regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) – so you can pursue your degree with confidence.
What Will You Learn in Our EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Marriage and Family Counseling Degree?
This program covers several core topics such as applied counseling theories, group counseling, and research methods. You’ll also explore important aspects of the community mental health system with an emphasis on community outreach, client advocacy, intervention, and multicultural competence. By studying the key issues and trends facing community counselors today, you can become equipped to serve your clients with wisdom and humility.
Maybe you’re interested in teaching at the college level. If so, our EdS degree in family counseling covers teaching and learning strategies for use in the human services educational context. You will also learn about counseling and treatment strategies through the lens of a biblical worldview – allowing you to develop a holistic approach that accounts for the emotional, psychosocial, and spiritual aspects of human existence.
Within the marriage and family counseling specialization, you’ll explore the unique dynamics of marriage and family relationships. In particular, you can learn how to provide premarital, divorce care, and remarriage counseling as a creative, preventative, and healing ministry. You’ll also study advanced marriage counseling skills and interventions that are informed by Christian leadership, biblical principles, and empirical research. Other topics of study include family development, assessment in family and marital counseling, and the impact of trauma on marital relationships.
- EDCO 806 – Premarital and Remarriage Counseling
- EDCO 811 – Marriage Counseling
- EDCO 815 – Family Development
- EDCO 817 – Trauma and Current Issues in Marital Counseling
Highlights of Our Online Marriage and Family Counseling Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- As an online student, you’ll have access to a wealth of resources through our top-notch library portal.
- After completing your EdS, you can potentially transfer up to 27 credits into our EdD in Community Care and Counseling program – allowing you to get a head start on your doctorate.
- You can earn your EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Marriage and Family Counseling in just 1 year!
EdS in Family and Marriage Counseling Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Our EdS in Community Care and Counseling – Marriage and Family Counseling Degree Program Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for EdS courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of the EdS in Community Care – Family and Marriage Counseling Degree
- Marriage and family counselor
- Non-licensed counselor
- Nonprofit administrator
- University professor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s EdS Degree in Family Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.