Learn How to Effectively Serve Families with Liberty University’s MSW – Advanced Generalist: Individual and Family Clinical Cognate
Do you want to dedicate your career to making a difference in the lives of individuals and families? Maybe you’re new to the field of social work and want an advanced degree that can help you stand out in applicant pools. If you’re interested in a social work career, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Social Work (MSW) – Advanced Generalist: Individual and Family Clinical cognate can help you turn your passion for serving others into a rewarding career.
As an individual and family clinical social work student, you will study the impact that various factors have on the lives of families and children. You will also gain real-world experience through 1,000 hours of field experience and practicums — so you can enter the workforce with knowledge of social work that is both practical and theoretical. In addition, this degree program is designed to help you gain clinical licensure. While some states require Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW) to practice for at least two years before earning licensure, this degree program can help prepare you to sit for the LCSW exam. As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we know what students need to be successful. You can rest assured that the individual and family clinical cognate for our Master of Social Work online program has been designed to help you pursue your career goals.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, nearly a quarter of American children under the age of 18 live in a single-parent home — which is almost triple the global average.* Single parents face tremendous challenges, and as a social worker, you can help. Our carefully designed, in-depth curriculum can increase your awareness of social work issues and help you develop effective, lasting solutions to real-world problems. Partner with us and prepare to make a measurable impact on the lives of the parents and children who need help the most.
*Fact Tank, Pew Research Center, at U.S. has world’s highest rate of children living in single-parent households (viewed online April 8, 2021).
Each state has unique requirements for becoming a licensed social worker. Be sure to research the requirements in your state.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Social Work – Individual and Family Clinical Cognate?
At Liberty, we don’t just train social workers. We train principled, ethically driven, and sought-after professionals who leave the graduation stage running. We seek to inspire a burning passion within students like you. With our MSW degree, you can train to become an enthusiastic advocate for families and children who are facing challenges that may seem insurmountable.
The online format of our individual and family social work degree allows you to learn from knowledgeable professors with years of real-world experience in a uniquely Christian learning environment — all from the comfort of home. Most of our courses are also offered in an 8-week format with no set login times, so you can complete your weekly assignments when it is most convenient for you.
Your interest in individual and family clinical social work may have been sparked by trends that exist in your local community. You may see local issues that you want to address, and at Liberty University, we want to help you address those issues quickly. That’s why we allow you to complete your field experience requirements at an approved site near you — so you don’t have to wait until after graduation to serve the parents and children of your community.
What Will You Learn in Our MSW Program Individual and Family Clinical Cognate?
Our online Master of Social Work – Individual and Family Clinical cognate offers a broad yet in-depth overview of the challenges facing today’s social workers.
Throughout this degree program, you will study general social work concepts, human behavior in various social environments, and best practices for serving individuals and families. You will also study social policy and justice, diversity and cultural humility, advanced social work methodology, psychopathology, and addiction.
Additionally, the field experience required in this degree program allows you to put your online training into practice. Through one 400-hour placement over 2 semesters and an accompanying 600-hour field placement, this Master of Social Work degree online can help you become better prepared for career success and social work licensure exams.
- SOWK 625 – Social Policy, Justice, and Advocacy
- SOWK 645 – Psychopathology and Addiction
- SOWK 650 – Diversity and Cultural Humility
- SOWK 680 – Applied Research and Ethics
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our Master of Social Work Degree – Individual and Family Clinical Cognate
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online social work master’s degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- Add at least 1,000 hours of field experience to your résumé prior to graduation.
- Satisfy requirements needed to sit for social work licensure exams.
Master of Social Work – Individual and Family Clinical Program Information
- This degree falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires practicums and field experience.
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for MSW in Individual and Family Clinical Graduates
Liberty’s Master of Social Work online program can help you pursue administrative and supervisory positions in the field of social work. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Child and family social worker
- Medical social worker
- Mental health therapist
- School social worker
- Social work supervisor
Please note: Some roles may require licensure in social work, and each state has specific requirements for licensure. Be sure to research the licensure requirements in your state.
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s MSW Online Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Contact information for 2 recommenders
- Statement of Purpose
- Department questionnaire
- Department approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.