Prepare to Make a Difference in Your Community with Liberty’s Online Master of Social Work – Advanced Generalist: General Cognate
Are you passionate about promoting social justice? Do you want to become a licensed social worker and learn how to serve diverse populations? If so, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Social Work (MSW) – Advanced Generalist: General cognate is a great option. Our MSW is designed to help you become a leader in the field of social work by offering advanced training in research, generalist practice, and human behavior.
Throughout this MSW program, you will study practical methods for working with individuals, families, and communities. You can also become equipped to sit for social work licensure exams** and pursue the credentials you need to further your career. Additionally, because the general cognate has no set courses, you can mix and match various electives to create a personalized degree plan.
Liberty’s online MSW program includes in-depth courses that can help you prepare to take on roles in military, international, mental health, and nonprofit settings. Whether you want to work in the United States or abroad, our Master of Social Work with the advanced generalist specialization seeks to equip you with the knowledge and skills you need to make a difference. From refugee resettlement and human trafficking intervention to trauma recovery and nonprofit management, this degree can help you learn how to provide many types of services to vulnerable populations.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Please note: Each state has unique requirements for becoming a licensed social worker. Be sure to research the requirements in your state.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Social Work Degree Program?
Flexibility | As a pioneer in distance learning, Liberty seeks to provide programs that can meet your needs as a student and as a professional. Our Master of Social Work is offered 100% online, so you’ll have the freedom to complete your coursework on your schedule. Additionally, our MSW provides foundational training that can help you prepare for more advanced courses — so you can apply to this program even if you don’t have a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree.
Hands-On Training | As part of the online Master of Social Work program, you’ll participate in 2 field experience placements for a combined total of 1,000 hours of social work practice experience. At least 600 of these hours will be completed under the supervision of a master’s-level social worker. You’ll also engage in practicums so you can further boost your résumé. By putting your skills to the test, you can become equipped to sit for social work licensure exams and provide better care to your clients.
Personalized Degree Plan | At Liberty, we recognize the God-given uniqueness of every individual. That’s why we’ve designed this program to offer you maximum flexibility. The general cognate for our Master of Social Work allows you to select 4 elective courses, so you can explore the topics that interest you the most.
Valuable Mentorship | Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — and one way we do that is by offering you top-notch training from industry professionals. Many of our MSW faculty hold doctoral degrees, and all of them have extensive experience in the field of social work. With their guidance, you can prepare to lead with excellence and integrity in your career.
What Will You Learn in Our Online MSW Program?
Liberty’s MSW online degree emphasizes the importance of integrity, competence, human dignity, justice, and service in the field of social work. Our professors will encourage you to demonstrate humility and understanding as you engage with other cultures. You can also grow in your understanding of the biological, psychological, social, spiritual, and environmental aspects of the human experience.
Your core social work courses will cover practical techniques for working with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. You’ll also study theoretical perspectives on human behavior and learn how to effectively advocate for just policies. Additionally, by completing practicums and field experience, you can boost your marketability and meet the requirements to sit for social work licensure exams.
Other topics of study include:
- Best practices for promoting the health and safety of social workers.
- Important aspects of diversity, such as ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, politics, and religion.
- Methods for conducting multi-level agency assessments and recommending micro- or macro-level intervention.
- The foundations of social policy in the United States as evaluated through the lens of a biblical worldview.
- The necessity of utilizing research-informed practice in a competent manner.
- SOWK 501 – Generalist Social Work Concepts
- SOWK 555 – Generalist Social Work Practice with Groups
- SOWK 625 – Social Policy, Justice, and Advocacy
- SOWK 680 – Applied Research and Ethics
Highlights of Our Online MSW Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Social Work – Advanced Generalist: General cognate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- Complete at least 1,000 hours of field experience before you graduate, including 600 hours under the supervision of a master’s-level social worker.
- Become equipped to pursue your social work license.
- Earn your MSW degree online in as little as 2 years.
- Prepare to work in a variety of settings, including schools, hospitals, adoption agencies, nursing homes, mental health clinics, and group homes.
Master of Social Work Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- This program requires practicums and field experience.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Master of Social Work Program Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Careers for Graduates of the MSW Online Program
Liberty’s Master of Social Work online program can help you pursue administrative and supervisory positions in the field of social work. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Agency director
- Medical social worker
- Mental health therapist
- Program director
- School social worker
- Social work supervisor
Please note: Some roles may require licensure in social work, and each state has specific requirements for licensure. Be sure to research the licensure requirements in your state.
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s MSW Online Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Contact information for 2 recommenders
- Statement of Purpose
- Department questionnaire
- Department approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.