Explore Deeper Theological Studies with Psychological Knowledge while Pursuing a Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Theology Degree
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is designed to train ministry professionals and church leaders to become biblical counselors in Christian ministries and agency-based, non-licensure settings. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will study psychology and the Christian understanding of human nature and God’s creation that informs biblical counseling.
The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a balanced treatment of spiritual and mental health which will equip ministry professionals already in the field or students who want to move into a Christian counseling role.
If you want to pursue deeper studies in theology to enhance your ministry teaching and personal growth, the theology area of study of the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling allows you to include in-depth theology studies with your Christian counseling training. The profound, foundational biblical themes and principles you will explore are the same concepts found in Liberty University’s online theological studies degrees, and these profound biblical truths will reinforce your biblical counseling and pastoral care.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Theology?
If you are already a ministry professional and find that you lack the training to help people struggling with spiritual and mental health crises, completing an online Christian counseling degree like the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will help fill in the gaps and build on your ministry experience to support your Christian counseling and pastoral care. If you want to branch out into a Christian counseling role, the field-specific training and biblical counseling techniques in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will provide much-needed support for biblical counseling in a variety of settings.
While the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling contains substantial, integrated studies in theology as part of the degree’s biblical perspective of counseling practice, the Theology area of study provides a deeper dive into important, foundational theological truths that will enhance your ministry, teaching, and personal study. The Theology area of study is designed for students who are fascinated by the deep, interwoven messages and themes of the Bible and enjoy the academic study of scripture and how it applies to daily life and Christian counseling.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling?
- Unlike many other Bible colleges or seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective Christian counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- If you choose to take advantage of the optional on-campus intensives, you will have additional hands-on training and meet directly with your peers and professors.
- Gain marketable real-world experience in counseling and therapy by helping people in your community with the pastoral counseling internship.
- The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is overseen by the School of Behavioral Sciences but still receives the School of Divinity’s discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time, as well as the online Seminary’s Block Rate. Students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling?
The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a broad set of foundational Christian counseling skills and knowledge along with field-specialized topic courses and hands-on skill areas. Students who pursue biblical counseling training in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will learn how the science of psychology reflects biblical principles of personhood and human nature, and how mental health treatment benefits from spiritual health. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will have the opportunity to pursue hands-on training on campus during two optional intensives, and all pastoral counseling students will gain experience in their communities through the pastoral counseling internship.
The theology area of study for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is an additional, advanced exploration of several important topics in theology studies. Students will receive a guided overview with two courses for systematic theology, which will demonstrate the formalized method of investigating theological concepts in the Bible. Students in the theology area of study will also study the Doctrine of God, which has an impact on ministry and the nature of personhood in psychology, as well as study ethics and Christian ministry, which is additional support for Christian counselors to ensure they are balancing sound faith and biblical practice.
- THEO 525 – Systematic Theology I
- THEO 530 – Systematic Theology II
- THEO 626 – Doctrine of God
- THEO 650 – Ethics and Christian Ministry
*Please note that the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts Professional Counseling degree below for more information about counseling licensure.
M.A. Pastoral Counseling – Theology Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete this online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Theology in as little as one year.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced Christian counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned Christian theologians and scholars professionals in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your ministry or biblical counseling practice.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A practical ministry-focused alternative that can be completed in as little as one year
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies (M.T.S.) – An academically focused degree that specializes in theology and could be completed in as little as one year
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – A non-licensure track master’s degree in counseling that emphasizes secular applications of psychology and counseling with a biblical worldview
- Master of Arts in Professional Counseling – A licensure-track clinical counseling program that includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship
M.A. Pastoral Counseling – Theology Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour part-time)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Pastoral Counseling – Theology Potential Career Options
- Associate pastor
- Church counselor
- Lay ministry leader
- Outpatient care counselor
- Teaching pastor
Students who complete a degree in Christian counseling like the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will be equipped for ministry-based, non-licensure counseling roles in many areas including marriage and family counseling, addiction counseling, and counseling women. Graduates of the theology area of study will have enhanced, graduate-level theology training that may open ministry and academic teaching opportunities.
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.