Help Service Members, Veterans, and their Families Heal by Earning a Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Military Resilience
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is designed to train ministry professionals and church leaders to become biblical counselors in Christian ministries and agency-based, non-licensure settings. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will study psychology and the Christian understanding of human nature and God’s creation that informs biblical counseling. The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides balanced training in spiritual and mental health which will equip ministry professionals in the field or students who want to move into a Christian Counseling role.
The Military Resilience area of study for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides ministry professionals and pastors with specialized training and knowledge to assist service members, veterans and their families The military resilience specialization of the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will give students the tools they need to help these families heal and grow closer together.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Military Resilience?
If you are already a ministry professional and find that you lack the training to help people struggling with spiritual and mental health crises, completing an online Christian counseling degree like the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will help fill in the gaps. This program is designed to build on your ministry experience to support your Christian counseling and pastoral care, as well as receive important parenting issues counseling training. If you want to branch out into a Christian counseling role, the field-specific training and biblical counseling techniques in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will provide much-needed support for biblical counseling in a variety of settings.
If you are currently in a ministry that serves military families and service members, you already know that these groups have unique needs and deal with stresses that civilians often struggle to understand. If you are not already involved with the military, then you may struggle to find ways to connect and support these families. The Military Resilience area of study for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides important understanding and tools to help military families and personnel so that you can give them the support and love they need.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology and successful military resilience counseling, giving you effective Christian counseling technique with a firm biblical worldview.
- If you choose to take advantage of the optional on-campus intensives, you will have additional hands-on training and meet directly with your peers and professors.
- Gain marketable real-world experience in Christian counseling and military resilience training by helping people in your community with the pastoral counseling internship.
- The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is overseen by the School of Behavioral Sciences but still receives the School of Divinity’s discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time, as well as the Online Seminary’s Block Rate: students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling- Military Resilience Area of Study?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a broad set of foundational Christian counseling skills and knowledge along with field-specialized topic courses and hands-on skill areas. Students who pursue biblical counseling training in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will learn how the science of psychology reflects biblical principles of personhood and human nature, and how mental health treatment benefits from spiritual health. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will have the opportunity to pursue hands-on training on campus during two optional intensives, and all pastoral counseling students will gain experience in their communities through the pastoral counseling internship.
The Military Resilience area of study for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling expands on the psychological and biblical understanding of mental health and helps you apply these skills and knowledge to the unique struggles of military families. To master resilience training for military personnel and their families, you will need a specialization of psychological resilience and its part in healthy military family life. The Military Resilience track will focus on how these struggles impact marriages, leaders, and the difficulty of transitioning from military to civilian life.
*Please note that online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical requirements for state-licensed professional counseling and may not fulfill all requirements for military chaplaincy. You can view all of Liberty University’s licensure-track Professional Counseling degree and military chaplaincy options below for more information about counseling licensure and chaplaincy requirements.
M.A. Pastoral Counseling – Military Resilience Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete this online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Military Resilience in as little as one year.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced Christian counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned Christian scholars and ministry professionals in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your biblical counseling practice.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A practical ministry-focused alternative that can be completed in as little as a year.
- Master of Arts in Professional Counseling – A licensure-track clinical counseling program that includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
The Rawlings School of Divinity has several program options for students who would like to serve in the chaplaincy field and need more advanced or specialized degree tracks to meet job requirements:
M.A. Pastoral Counseling- Military Resilience Format and Information
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Course Syllabi (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online MA in Pastoral Counseling
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for undergraduate (per credit hour)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Pastoral Counseling Degree in Military Resilience
Students who complete a degree in Christian counseling like the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will be equipped for ministry-based, non-licensure counseling roles in many areas including marriage and family counseling, addiction counseling, and counseling women. Graduates of the Military Resilience area of study will be equipped for military resilience training and military family support ministries.
- Church Counselor
- Family Counselor
- Grief Services Specialist
- Social Services Caseworker
- Trauma Counselor
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.