Become a Leader in Your Counseling Role by Earning a Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Leadership
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is designed to train ministry professionals and church leaders to become biblical counselors in Christian ministries and agency-based, non-licensure settings. Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will study psychology and the Christian understanding of human nature and God’s creation that informs biblical counseling. The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a balanced treatment of spiritual and mental health guidance which will equip ministry professionals already in the field or students who want to move into a Christian counseling role.
The leadership area of study for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will equip Christian counselors to handle the administrative and organizational challenges faced by church leaders and ministry professionals. Students who find themselves unexpectedly called to leadership in biblical counseling or those who want to take on more ministry responsibility will benefit from the practical and field-tested Christian leadership methods of the leadership area of study.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Leadership?
If you are already a ministry professional but lack the training to help people struggling with spiritual and mental health crises, completing an online Christian counseling degree like the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will help fill in the gaps by building upon your ministry experience to support your Christian counseling and pastoral care. If you want to branch out into a Christian counseling role, the field-specific training and biblical counseling techniques in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will provide much-needed support for biblical counseling in a variety of settings.
The leadership area of study for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling gives you the strategic planning and administrative skills to manage the day-to-day operation and proper planning of a successful Christian organization, whether that is a church or parachurch ministry. Christian counselors who want to build a counseling ministry will gain the executive skills they need for effective leadership.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or online seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective Christian counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- If you choose to take advantage of the optional on-campus intensives, you will have additional hands-on training and meet directly with your peers and professors.
- Gain marketable real-world experience in crisis response and trauma therapy by helping people in your community with the pastoral counseling internship.
- The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is overseen by the School of Behavioral Sciences but still receives the School of Divinity’s discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time, as well as the online seminary’s block rate. Students attending full time (9-15 credit hours) or higher are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling online are charged at the part-time rate.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling — Leadership?
The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a broad set of foundational Christian counseling skills and knowledge along with field-specialized topic courses and hands-on skill areas. Students who pursue biblical counseling training in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will learn how the science of psychology reflects biblical principles of personhood and human nature and how mental health treatment benefits from spiritual health.
Students in the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will have the opportunity to pursue hands-on training on our Virginia campus during 2 optional intensives, and all pastoral counseling students will gain experience in their own communities through a pastoral counseling internship.
The leadership area of study for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling emphasizes biblical leadership and administrative skills needed for effective ministry organization. Students pursuing the leadership area of study will learn from the example of great Christian leaders of the past and present while studying the biblical foundations of leadership and conflict resolution.
- LEAD 510 — Biblical Foundations of Leadership
- LEAD 520 — The Life of Leaders
- LEAD 610 — Team Leadership and Conflict Resolution
- LEAD 620 — Mission, Vision, and Strategic Planning
*Please note that the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree for more information about counseling licensure.
M.A. in Pastoral Counseling — Leadership Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online pastoral counseling leadership degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Leadership in as little as 1 year.
- The John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, our online seminary, has experienced Christian counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your ministry or biblical counseling practice.
- Become equipped to handle challenges in leading ministry organizations, churches, or parachurches.
Pastoral Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online M.A. in Pastoral Counseling
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Pastoral Counseling — Leadership
Students who complete a degree in Christian counseling like the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will be equipped for ministry-based, non-licensure counseling roles in many areas including marriage and family counseling, addiction counseling, and counseling women.
Graduates of the leadership area of study will be better equipped for ministry leadership positions and the organization and management of Christian counseling ministry. Students may also be able to pursue additional requirements for state licensure and pursue licensed clinical counseling practice.
- Associate pastor
- Church counselor
- Lay ministry leader
- Life coach
- Outpatient care counselor
Admission Requirements for Our Online M.A. in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.