Influence and Empower Others with an MA in Pastoral Counseling – Dobson Center Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future
Do you want to help families grow closer to God as they grow closer together? Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Dobson Center Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future will provide you with practical tools to help children, educate families, and empower parents. The skills you will develop are foundations to advocate for the rights of children and families and to assist families who are facing emotional and spiritual challenges. Liberty’s online pastoral counseling program will help you develop the skills you need to be a champion for Christ for families in your community!
Please note: while this degree may assist students seeking professional licensure, it does not meet all licensure requirements.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online MA in Pastoral Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future Program?
Liberty University has collaborated with a world-renowned psychologist, author, radio show host, and family expert Dr. James C. Dobson to create Liberty University’s James C. Dobson Center for Child Development, Marriage, and Family Studies. Through this partnership, Liberty University offers a family advocacy, public policy, and the future program track for the Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling that is designed to give ministry professionals and pastors the tools to help parents and their children to grow together.
We value your time at Liberty, and that is why we created a master’s degree in pastoral counseling that is offered completely online, so you can remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on our residential campus. Our flexible and affordable online format will give you the training you need to further your career in less time than a traditional campus.
What Will You Learn in Our MA in Pastoral Counseling
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling provides a broad set of foundational Christian counseling skills and knowledge along with field-specialized topic courses and hands-on skill areas. Graduates of this program are equipped to provide godly counsel and assist in conflict resolution. If you are passionate about making a positive impact for Christ in the lives of families, Liberty’s MA in Pastoral Counseling will help you get the training you need!
The Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling will provide you with a biblical worldview of human behavior and application of helping skills for a non-licensure counseling role. Through our carefully chosen courses, you can master essential biblical counseling skills and apply evidence-based practices in addictions and recovery, pastoral counseling, marriage and family therapy, pastoral leadership, and life coaching. With the specialized family advocacy content created in partnership with the James C. Dobson Center, you will be able to apply these skills to help families meet the challenges of today.
- DBFA 605 – Public Policy & Advocacy Strategies
- DBFA 610 – Divorce, Marriage & Blended Families
- DBFA 615 – Child/ Adolescent Development, Deviance & Violence
- DBFA 620 – Research & Emergency Paradigms in Marriage & Family Studies
MA in Pastoral Counseling Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Careers with an MA in Pastoral Counseling
- Child advocate
- Family advocate
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Pastoral Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete this online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future in less than two years.
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the Rawlings School of Divinity, has experienced Christian counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting profound theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned Christian scholars and ministry professionals in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns, Dr. Harold Willmington, and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your biblical counseling practice.
- The online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling is overseen by the School of Behavioral Sciences but still receives the School of Divinity’s discounted graduate tuition of $395 per credit for part-time, as well as the online Seminary’s Block Rate. Students attending full time or higher (9-15 credit hours) are eligible for a block rate of $2,750 per semester!*
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Masters of Arts in Pastoral Counseling Online are charged at the part-time rate.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Professional Counseling – Liberty University’s online Master of Arts in Professional Counseling degree is designed to equip you with the specialized training needed to pursue a state License for Professional Counseling (LPC). Through our online Master’s in Professional Counseling degree, you will gain skills needed for the LPC and enhance your understanding of best practices necessary to promote mental health and holistic wellness of clients in diverse communities.
- Master of Arts in Addictions Counseling – Liberty University’s Master of Arts Addiction Counseling degree online provides you with the education and training required for certification or licensure as an addiction counselor or substance abuse counseling. Our addiction counseling degree is designed to fulfill or exceed the requirements for many national and state board organizations.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Counseling – Liberty University’s Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy program online provides you with a strong understanding of counseling principles and strategies to prepare you to seek licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. Courses within our master’s degree in marriage and family therapy program will provide you with a thorough background in individual, group, and family counseling theories and techniques, as well as clinical practice.
MA in Pastoral Counseling Dobson Family Advocacy Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour part-time)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted divinity block rate: $2475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- 8-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling are charged at the part-time rate.