Help Shape Healthy Families with the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future degree program is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement or new opportunities, and students who are entering the human services and mental health support field. The online Masters in Human Services Counseling does not require any on-campus visits and has no thesis requirement so that you can fit the flexible online courses into your current busy schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online Masters in Human Services Counseling will equip you to serve better your clients who struggle with the basic challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The Liberty University James C. Dobson Center for Child Development, Marriage, and Family Studies offers the Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future area of study. This area of study provides a cultural, social, and psychological background to help you navigate the complexity of social issues and public policy so that you can become an advocate for the wellbeing and rights of children and families. Whether you want to become a public advocate or move into public service, the Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future degree track provide the training you will need to make a positive impact on the future of children and families in your community.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Masters in Human Services Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and for finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling program, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to help solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field. The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so that you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
Liberty University has partnered with a world-renowned psychologist, author, radio show host, and family expert Dr. James C. Dobson to create Liberty University’s James C. Dobson Center for Child Development, Marriage, and Family Studies. With this partnership, Liberty University offers timely, relevant, and real-world training in family advocacy and public policy. If you are looking for a Master’s Degree in advocacy to learn how to become a family advocate, the Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future track will equip you for your human services goals.
What are the Benefits of Attending Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective addiction counseling technique with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for addiction recovery care.
What Will You Learn in the Masters in Human Services Online Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree program provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online Masters in Human Services Counseling will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues affect counseling in individual and group settings. As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior in a Christian worldview and demonstrates how these science and evidence-based practices are informed by biblical principles.
The Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future area of study will give you an overview of important cultural and political aspects of being a family advocate, and provide training in specific human services skills needed to impact children and families in your community positively. You will review public policy issues that threaten the Judeo-Christian heritage of America’s founding principles, as well as learn about the causes of divorce and the psychological consequences for children and parents. You will also be able to choose assessment and treatment-centered courses to help you focus in on specialized advocacy areas such as assisting childhood and adolescent delinquency.
*Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Professional Counseling below for more information about counseling licensure.
Human Services Counseling Degree Online Program Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling from a non-profit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- Students can complete the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future degree in as little as one year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Marriage and Family – Ministry-Focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree that can be completed in as little as one year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy – A licensure-track clinical counseling program that includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
Masters in Human Services Online Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Course Syllabi. (login required)
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online Masters in Human Services Counseling – Family Advocacy, Public Policy, and the Future Degree
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will give students the mental health support and counseling skills that will make them useful in private, public, and non-profit human services settings. These settings include Christian counseling ministries, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support settings where counseling skills are needed. Chaplaincy may be an option in some cases. However, many roles will require additional training or a seminary degree.
- Church Counselor
- Family Counselor
- Case Worker
- Child Advocate
- Family Advocate
Admission Requirements for Our Online MA in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.