Help Parents Raise the Next Generation with a Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Parenting and Child/Adolescent Development
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Parenting and Child/Adolescent Development is designed to train you in biblical counseling principles and strategies. The biblical integration in this program will provide a solid foundation to effectively work with adults and adolescents. Liberty University has collaborated with world-renowned psychologist, author, radio show host, and family expert Dr. James C. Dobson to create Liberty University’s James C. Dobson Center for Child Development, Marriage, and Family Studies.
Our parent and child/adolescent development program track for the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will provide ministry professionals and pastors with the tools they need to help parents and their children grow together. Courses in this degree feature essential training for human services counseling workers who seek to offer services in areas such as leadership, counseling families, addictions counseling, and addictions recovery.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Parent and Child/Adolescent Development Program?
If you are looking for a child counseling degree and want to give families important parenting skills training, the parent and child/adolescent development area of study for the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will help you explore parent-child relational problems and identify solutions. These insights can help you address conflict and poor communication in families, and learn the parent counseling skills that will allow you to equip parents and help correct issues in the home.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective parent, child, and adolescent counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for parenting skills and child and adolescent development.
What Will You Learn in the Online M.A. in Human Services – Parent and Child/Adolescent Development Program?
Liberty University’s James C. Dobson Center for Child Development, Marriage, and Family Studies gives students in the parent and child/adolescent development area of study advanced, field-tested, and evidence-based family counseling and parenting skills training. The parent and child/adolescent development track features lectures and material from world-renowned psychologist, author, radio host, and family expert Dr. James C. Dobson.
Students in the parenting and child/adolescent development track will study important foundational subjects such as how family issues and environmental factors affect development from childhood to adulthood. Students will also be able to choose specific child counseling courses such as childhood issues, trauma, and healthy sexuality.
- DBPC 600 – Child and Family Development
- DBPC 610 – Human Growth and Lifespan Development
- DBPC 615 – Childhood Issues, Trauma, and Abuse
- DBPC 620 – Healthy Sexuality: Biblical and Developmental
*Please note that while the parenting and child/adolescent development track may allow you to apply for some Christian counseling certifications, the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical requirements for state-licensed professional counseling. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree below for more information about counseling licensure.
Similar Online Degree Programs
Military Benefits for Our Human Services Counseling Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
M.A. in Human Services Counseling Degree Information
- This program does not lead directly to state licensure as a professional counselor, so please examine what your state of residence requires.
- This degree falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
Potential Career Options with a Degree in Human Services Counseling
- Associate pastor
- Child advocate
- Church counselor
- Family therapist
- Outpatient care counselor
Students who complete a degree in Christian counseling, like the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, will be equipped for ministry-based, non-licensure counseling roles in many areas including marriage and family counseling, addiction counseling, and counseling women. Graduates of the parent and child/adolescent track will be equipped for specialized parent counseling and family therapy ministry.
Admission Requirements for Our Online Human Services Counseling Degree
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling Program Highlights
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete this online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Parenting and Child/Adolescent Development in as little as 1 year.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling to address mental and spiritual health issues in your counseling practice.