Make a Positive Impact in Your Community with an M.A. in Human Services Counseling — Marriage and Family Studies Degree
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling — Marriage and Family Studies degree is designed to teach techniques necessary to protect children, educate families, and empower parents to lead their families.
We are excited to offer an online marriage and family studies degree by partnering with the James C. Dobson Center. Because of this partnership, students can benefit from a curriculum featuring lectures and material from world-renowned psychologist, author, radio host, and family expert, Dr. James C. Dobson. Our goal in creating the master’s degree in human services counseling is to equip men and women with knowledge to positively impact families and society.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s Human Services Counseling Degree?
The courses in the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree online seek to help meet the needs of a hurting world by equipping students to assist individuals asking for guidance. The goal of the master’s in human services counseling is to help families learn to function healthily and thrive in the future. Our master’s degree, offered through the Dr. James C. Dobson Center, is completely online, allowing you to remain active in your job, family, and community without the worry of taking courses on our residential campus.
Our faculty members will provide you with quality, professional academic training from a faith-based perspective. When you choose Liberty University for your master’s degree in human services counseling, you can be confident that our program is preparing you for your career both professionally and spiritually!
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective human services counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for marriage and family counseling.
- See best practices put to action by observing group meetings in your own community.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Human Services Counseling Degree?
Our online human services counseling degree is an excellent way to further your education in the study of human behavior and the application of helping skills. The curriculum in this degree program was specifically designed with your success in mind. Our online counseling courses feature materials from the counseling field considered essential to the master’s level professional. You will be equipped to offer services in areas such as leadership, families, addictions, and recovery.
Liberty University’s master’s degree in human services counseling with a concentration in marriage and family counseling allows you to hone your skills so you can be a guide for people as they navigate problems within their marriages and families. This counseling degree is a composition of multi-faceted topics related to human services, allowing you to focus on bringing exceptional help and healing to families.
Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling licensure requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling for more information about counseling licensure.
- DBMF 600 – Counseling Children and Adolescents: Issues and Strategies
- DBMF 605 – Parenting and Child Discipline Strategies: Raising Healthy Kids
- DBMF 610 – Marriage and Family Systems: Foundations, Models, and Techniques
- DBPC 620 – Healthy Sexuality: Biblical and Developmental Factors
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online M.A. in Human Services Counseling degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s in human services counseling online degree program has not increased in 8 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You will be granted access to a wide variety of online resources through Liberty University’s library portal throughout your pursuit of obtaining a master’s in human services counseling degree.
Human Services Counseling Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Careers for Human Services Counseling Graduates
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will receive the mental health support and counseling skills to be useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services roles such as Christian counseling, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support roles where counseling skills are needed.
Some of these roles include:
- Child advocate
- Family advocate
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for the M.A. in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.