Help Heal Broken Lives with a Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice Degree
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for career advancement or for students who are just entering the human services and mental health support field. The online master’s degree in human services counseling does not require any on-campus visits and has no thesis requirement, making it easier for you to fit graduate courses into your busy schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online master’s in human services counseling can equip you to better serve clients who struggle with life’s challenges by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The criminal justice area of study for the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is designed to train human services professionals to apply theories of counseling and human behavior to support mental health and personal growth in the criminal justice system. The selection of criminal justice administration and management skills in the criminal justice track will help you pursue a role in criminal justice leadership, providing hands-on ministry opportunities to counsel and rehabilitate criminals and juvenile delinquents.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice Degree?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to help solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field.
The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so that you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
If you are trying to branch out from a human services role to serve in a criminal justice organization, the criminal justice area of study is designed to give you the advanced research in human behavior and criminal justice administration that you’ll need. Students who are looking for a master’s in criminal justice but want to focus on mental health will be best served by the criminal justice track for the online master’s in human services counseling.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective addiction counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore cutting-edge scholarship and methods for addiction recovery care.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s Degree in Human Services Online?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online master’s in human services counseling program will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact counseling in individual and group settings. As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior on a Christian worldview and demonstrates how biblical principles inform these scientific and evidence-based practices.
In the online criminal justice area of study, you will receive an overview of the interdependent organizations and agencies of the criminal justice system along with the theoretical and practical management perspectives embraced by these organizations. You will also be trained in practical, real-world human resource management methods in the criminal justice field and study important case law that has formed substantive and procedural changes in criminal law. These administrative skills in the criminal justice track will equip you for a human services or management role that will utilize your expertise in human behavior studies.
Please note: the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling for more information about counseling licensure.
Human Services Counseling Degree Highlights
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice degree in as little as 1 year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – This academically-focused, 36 credit hour criminal justice program provides a thorough study of criminology and criminal justice theory as well as an optional thesis project. This program is designed to prepare you for a primary role in a criminal justice organization or doctoral studies in criminal justice.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – This ministry-focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree can be completed in as little as 1 year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling – This licensure-track clinical counseling program includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Behavioral Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice Degree
The online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will give students the mental health and counseling skills they need to make them useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services settings. These settings include Christian counseling ministries, youth ministries, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support settings where counseling skills are needed.
Chaplaincy may be an option in some cases. However, many roles will require additional training or a seminary degree.
Here are some other positions you may be qualified for:
- Behavioral disorder counselor
- Casework manager
- Juvenile detention/youth counselor
- Police administrator
Admission Requirements for Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.