Help Heal Broken Lives with the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement or new opportunities, and students who are just entering the human services and mental health support field. The online Masters in Human Services Counseling does not require any on-campus visits and has no thesis requirement so that you can fit the flexible online courses into your busy schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online Masters in Human Services Counseling will equip you to serve better your clients who struggle with the basic challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The Criminal Justice area of study for the online Masters in Human Services Counseling is designed to equip human services professionals to apply theories of counseling and human behavior to support mental health and personal growth in the criminal justice system. The selection of criminal justice administration and management skills in the Criminal Justice track will help you pursue a role in criminal justice leadership, providing both a personal career and hands-on ministry opportunity supporting the counseling and rehabilitation of criminals and juvenile delinquents.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Masters in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice Degree?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and finding the best way to help people improve their lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to help solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field. The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so that you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while still maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
If you are trying to branch out from a human services role to serve in a criminal justice organization, the Criminal Justice area of study of the online Masters in Human Services Counseling is designed to give you the advanced research in human behavior and criminal justice administration that you need. Students who are looking for a Masters in Criminal Justice but want to focus on mental health will be best served by the Criminal Justice track for the online Masters in Human Services Counseling.
What are the Benefits of Attending Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective addiction counseling technique with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services and counseling while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for addiction recovery care.
What Will You Learn in the Masters in Human Services Online Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling degree provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online Masters in Human Services Counseling program will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact counseling in individual and group settings. As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior in a Christian worldview and demonstrates how Biblical principles inform these science and evidence-based practices.
In the online Criminal Justice area of study, you will receive an overview of the interdependent organizations and agencies of the criminal justice system along with the theoretical and practical management perspectives embraced by these organizations. You will also be trained in practical, real-world human resource management methods in the criminal justice field and study important case law that has formed substantive and procedural changes in criminal law. These administrative skills in the Criminal Justice track will equip you for a human services or management role that will utilize your expertise in human behavior studies.
*Please note that the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view all of Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Professional Counseling below for more information about counseling licensure.
Human Services Counseling Degree Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in three straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Students can complete the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice degree in as little as one year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice – An academically-focused, 36 credit hour criminal justice program with deeper studies in criminology and criminal justice theory as well as an optional thesis project. This program is designed to prepare you for a primary role in a criminal justice organization or doctoral studies in criminal justice.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Ministry-Focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree that can be completed in as little as one year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Professional Counseling – A licensure-track clinical counseling program which includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Course Syllabi (login required).
Are you a service member, veteran, military spouse, or Department of Defense employee? We are proud to support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following military-friendly benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year and no set login times.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online Masters in Human Services Counseling – Criminal Justice Degree
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will give students the mental health support and counseling skills that will make them useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services settings. These settings include Christian counseling ministries, youth ministries, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support settings where counseling skills are needed. Chaplaincy may be an option in some cases. However, many roles will require additional training or a seminary degree.
- Juvenile Detention/Youth Counselor
- Behavioral Disorder Counselor
- Casework Management
- Police Administration
Admission Requirements for Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited Bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Unofficial college transcripts and submit a transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.