The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Christian Ministries Prepares You for Christian Counseling Ministry
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is designed for human services professionals who need additional, graduate-level training for advancement or new opportunities, as well as students who are just entering the human services and mental health support field. The online master’s in human services counseling degree does not require any on-campus visits or a thesis so you can fit our flexible online courses into your current schedule.
As a Christian college, Liberty University is invested in training human services professionals who can apply the best available scientific research and clinical tools to their practice with a biblical worldview. As such, the online master’s in human services counseling equips you to better serve clients who struggle with the basic challenges of life by addressing their social, psychological, and spiritual needs.
The Christian ministries area of study provides training that equips you for counseling or human services-related ministry. The Christian ministry area of study espouses core human services courses with divinity curriculum to best equip you to provide Christian-based guidance to those in need. If you are currently in a mental health and support role in ministry and find that you need advanced studies in human services with a ministry emphasis, the Christian ministries area of study will give you the training you need.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Christian Ministries?
Do you have a passion for studying the human mind and finding the best way to help people improve others’ lives by changing their behavior? With the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling, you can embark on the fascinating study of human behavior and psychology while applying this knowledge to help solve specific, real-world problems in the counseling and mental health field. The Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balance of field-tested practice and cutting-edge research in behavioral sciences so you can be confident that your approach to treatment will be backed by solid scientific study while maintaining a biblical worldview in ethics and practice.
If you want to branch out and bring human services skills to support your community, the Christian ministries area of study for the online master’s in human services counseling will provide the training you need. With a balance of evidence-based, scientifically supported counseling methods and a solid biblical worldview, the online master’s in human services counseling will ensure that you can meet your small group, youth, or church ministry challenges with effective Christian counseling techniques.
What Are the Benefits of Pursuing Liberty’s Human Services Degree Online?
- Complete your coursework on a schedule that fits your life with Liberty University’s award-winning online learning environment.
- Study a balanced perspective on the theological principles that underlie psychology, giving you effective Christian ministry counseling techniques with a firm biblical worldview.
- Be mentored by professors with real-world experience in human services counseling and ministry while you explore the cutting-edge scholarship and methods for the human services profession.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in Human Services Counseling – Church Ministries Online Degree?
The core content of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling provides a balanced overview of important theories in psychology while applying this knowledge to specific, real-world counseling practices. Students in the online master’s in human services counseling will study the development of the human mind from childhood to adulthood and how multicultural issues impact counseling in individual and group settings.
As a Christian college, Liberty bases this study of human thought and behavior in a Christian worldview and demonstrates how biblical principles inform these science and evidence-based practices.
- COMS 542 – Communication in Christian Ministry
- LEAD 620 – Mission, Vision and Strategic Planning
- YOUT 510 – Developing a Philosophy of Youth Ministry
- YOUT 615 – Integrating Youth Ministry into the Home and Church
Please note: The online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling is not designed to fulfill all clinical counseling requirements. You can view Liberty University’s licensure-track Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling below for more information about counseling licensure.
Online Human Services Degree Information
- A maximum of 50% of the program hours may be transferred if approved and allowable.
- 8-week online format, 8 different start dates per year, and no set login times.
- This program falls under the School of Behavioral Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the graduate behavioral sciences course guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you through every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online Christian Ministries Degree
Graduates of the online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling will receive the mental health and counseling skills needed to be useful in private, public, and nonprofit human services settings. These settings include vocations such as Christian counseling ministry, youth ministry, community service agencies, group homes, outreach services, in-home mental health support services, probation agencies, and other types of casework and support settings where counseling skills are needed.
Chaplaincy may also be an option in some cases. However, many roles will require additional training or a seminary degree.
- Children’s ministry director
- Church development coordinator
- Outreach coordinator
- Sunday school director
- Youth pastor
Online Human Services Counseling Degree Highlights
- By earning your online Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete the Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling – Christian Ministries degree in as little as 1 year.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (M.C.M.) – A ministry-focused degree that can be completed in as little as 1 year.
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling – Ministry-focused biblical counseling and pastoral care degree that can be completed in as little as 1 year with optional intensives and an internship.
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling – A licensure-track clinical counseling program which includes required on-campus intensives and an extensive practicum and internship.
Admission Requirements for M.A. in Human Services Counseling
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above cumulative combined GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.