Use Geographical Principles to Help Prepare for Emergencies with Liberty’s MA in Geography Degree – Disaster Management Online
Knowing how land is shaped and what is occurring under our feet can help us lessen or even prevent a disaster. Gaining intelligence on which zones are more prevalent to floods, volcanic activity, or wind hazards can help in preparing and mobilizing resources effectively. With Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Geography – Disaster Management, you can learn how to utilize the resources available to geographers to save lives.
If you are looking for a degree that can help you make a difference, then consider this emergency management degree. You can learn how to assess the risks of disasters as well as how to recover after a disaster has struck. Whether you are involved in the implementation of policies or are serving on the front line of action, this degree can help prepare you for success.
Are you ready to learn how you can save lives and reduce the damages caused by disasters? If so, then rejoice, because Liberty’s MA in Geography is offered 100% online in 8-week courses with no set login times. That way, you can earn a graduate degree while remaining committed to the things that matter most – like your job, family, and community.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Geography – Online Disaster Management Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design an online MA in Geography that challenges you to grasp new concepts while respecting your personal commitments. Your responsibilities don’t stop when you embark on your educational journey, which is why our online geography degree is designed to fit your busy schedule.
Our master’s degree in geography can also help you pursue well-paying careers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), geographers earned a median salary of $85,220 in 2021.* BLS also reports that professionals who held a master’s degree in 2021 earned approximately 18% more each week than professionals whose highest level of education was a bachelor’s degree.**
Additionally, Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means that we have met high academic standards – and that a degree from Liberty can help you command respect in applicant pools. Partner with us for your online geography degree and take your career to new heights.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, at Geographers (viewed online Oct. 6, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment, 2021 (viewed online Oct. 6, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Geography – Disaster Management?
Our geography and emergency management degree consists of 2 sections: core courses and disaster management-related courses. Together, these sections offer you a well-rounded geography education that can assist you in using your knowledge and skills to work in disaster management.
In this program, you will explore research methods that are commonly utilized in the field of geography. You can gain an understanding of geographic information systems (GIS) and how these systems can be applied to real-world situations. Additionally, you’ll study historical geography, demography and populations, and economic geography. You will also examine how geography is instrumental in transportation and military operations.
The disaster management specialization will provide information on how GIS is used to map the extent and severity of natural hazards. This can help you prepare for eventual disasters and equip you to mitigate these hazards. Your studies will also include studying theoretical and practical applications of disaster management activities, such as how people behave in emergency situations and how to clean up debris after a disaster has struck.
This degree’s combination of geography studies and disaster management is designed to offer you a unique educational experience that uses the study of geography to help save lives by predicting and preparing for emergency situations.
- GEOG 510 – Human Geography
- GEOG 642 – GIS for Disaster Management
- HLSC 600 – Introduction to Disaster Management
- HLSC 620 – Hazard Mitigation
Highlights of Our Geography Disaster Management Master’s Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your Master of Arts in Geography – Disaster Management from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- You can complete our online master’s degree in geography – disaster management in as little as 1.5 years.
- You’ll be able to benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from across the country.
- Our MA in Geography – Disaster Management is taught by expert professors who have years of experience and a passion for your success.
MA in Geography – Disaster Management Degree Online Information
- The online Master of Arts in Geography falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MA in Geography – Disaster Management Degree Graduates
- Industrial developer
- Nonprofit worker
- Policy developer
- Public administrator
Admission Requirements for the MA in Geography
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.