Develop Your Geographical Skills with Liberty’s MA in Geography Degree Online
Our world is full of diverse landscapes. Large cities, small towns, wooded forests, deserts, and mountains cover the globe – as does land that has not yet been explored. Pieces of land have history, but they also have chapters not yet written and stories not yet told. With Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Geography, you can learn how to navigate, document, use, and preserve different pieces of land.
This master’s in geography online offers you the opportunity to study key aspects of geography as well as the freedom to select 3 elective courses. That way, you can gain an advanced understanding of geography while also studying the subjects you’re most passionate about.
You won’t have to cross mountains or sail seas to complete our online geography degree – the MA in Geography at Liberty is offered 100% online in 8-week courses with no set login times. That way, you can earn a graduate degree while remaining committed to the things that matter most – like your job, family, and community.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Geography Online Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design an online MA in Geography that challenges you to grasp new concepts while respecting your personal commitments. Your responsibilities don’t stop when you embark on your educational journey, which is why our online geography degree is designed to fit your busy schedule.
Our master’s degree in geography can also help you pursue well-paying careers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), geographers earned a median salary of $85,430 in 2020.* BLS also reports that professionals who held a master’s degree in 2020 earned approximately 18% more each week than professionals whose highest level of education was a bachelor’s degree.**
Additionally, Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means that Liberty has met high academic standards – and that a degree from Liberty can help you command respect in applicant pools. Partner with us for your online geography degree and take your career to new heights.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, at Geographers (viewed online Nov. 16, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment, 2020 (viewed online Nov. 16, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Geography?
Our MA in Geography consists of 2 sections: core courses and elective courses. Together, these sections offer you a well-rounded geography education as well as the freedom to select a few of your own courses.
In the core section of your degree, you will study geographic research methods. You will also be introduced to geographic information systems, embark on a journey through quantitative analysis, and explore human geography. In addition, you’ll study historical geography, demography and populations, and economic geography. The core section of our MA in Geography is rounded out by courses in transport and military geography.
The elective section of our master’s in geography requires 3 courses. You will be able to choose which 3 courses you’d like to take from a wide variety of options – ranging from economics and global studies to language and linguistics – giving you the opportunity to study the subjects you’re most passionate about.
This degree’s unique combination of core geography studies and electives is designed to offer maximum benefit to you. For more information on what a geography degree from Liberty can do for you, request information or apply today!
- GEOG 502 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- GEOG 510 – Human Geography
- GEOG 610 – Demography and Populations
- GEOG 620 – Economic Geography
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our Geography Master’s Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your Master of Arts in Geography from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- You can complete our online master’s degree in geography in as little as 1.5 years.
- You’ll be able to benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
- Our MA in Geography is taught by expert professors who have years of experience and a passion for your success.
MA in Geography Degree Online Information
- The online Master of Arts in Geography falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for MA in Geography Graduates
- Industrial developer
Admission Requirements for the MA in Geography
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.