Learn How to Make Communities Safer and Industries More Efficient with Liberty’s MA in Geography Degree – Geographic Information Systems
These days, we are surrounded by a wealth of data due to new technologies and software. In order for you to understand this data, software is needed to easily sift through the vast amount of information. The academic theory behind the development, use, and application of information gained from satellites, airplanes, and other land-based sensors is called geographic information systems (GIS). GIS software plays a key role in helping us understand and use geographical data. Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Geography – Geographic Information Systems can help you prepare to enter this industry that is projected to reach a global software market worth $25.5 billion by 2030.*
What Is GIS?
Many of us have heard the term “GIS” but don’t know exactly what it means. A geographic information system (GIS) is a system that creates, manages, analyzes, and maps all types of data. This system has multiple uses. It can identify problems, help set priorities, or help authorities manage and respond to events such as hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, and fires. It also has many practical applications for carrying out disaster management and planning housing districts while accounting for potential problems related to geography. These days the automotive industry is even using GIS to help cars drive more safely.
Through this online GIS degree, you can learn how geographic information systems are used by various industries such as defense, energy and utilities, automotive, and many more. Your courses will also cover how this software is used in mapping, surveying, navigation, and location-based services. More specifically, you can learn how to apply GIS principles to urban planning and to help with various stages of disaster management. This specialization can show you how geography and GIS affect so many industries that we use in our daily lives.
If you are ready to learn how you can utilize GIS to cut costs and make industry operations safer and more efficient, then Liberty’s MA in Geography – Geographic Information Systems is the perfect program for you.
*Allied Market Research, at Geographic Information System Software (GIS) Market Research, 2030 (viewed online Oct. 6, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Geography Online GIS Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design an online MA in Geography – Geographic Information Systems that challenges you to grasp new concepts while respecting your personal commitments. Your responsibilities don’t stop when you embark on your educational journey, which is why our online geography degree is designed to fit your busy schedule.
Our master’s degree in geography can help you pursue well-paying careers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), geographers earned a median salary of $85,220 in 2021.** BLS also reports that professionals who held a master’s degree in 2021 earned approximately 18% more each week than professionals whose highest level of education was a bachelor’s degree.***
Additionally, Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means that Liberty has met high academic standards – and that a degree from Liberty can help you command respect in applicant pools. Partner with us for your online geography degree and take your career to new heights.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, at Geographers (viewed online Oct. 6, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
***Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment, 2021 (viewed online Oct. 6, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Master’s Degree in Geography – Geographic Information Systems?
Our GIS master’s degree consists of 2 sections: core courses and GIS-related courses. Together, these sections can help establish a wide base of knowledge that can prepare you to use geographic information systems in a variety of ways that have far-reaching implications in a plethora of industries.
In this program, you will explore research methods that are commonly utilized in the field of geography. You can also gain an initial understanding of geographic information systems (GIS) and how these systems can be applied to real-world situations. Additionally, you’ll study historical geography, demography and populations, and economic geography – as well as how geography is instrumental in transportation and military operations.
The geographic information systems specialization will explore how we image the Earth’s surface from space or airborne vehicles. Knowing the history of remote sensing can help you understand the more recent approaches to this field. Additionally, you can learn how GIS is used to map the extent and severity of natural hazards. This can help you prepare for eventual disasters and equip you to mitigate these hazards. Using GIS technology in urban planning is another topic that will be addressed in this degree.
Geography and GIS are tied inextricably together, and this program is designed to offer you a deep understanding of the uses and implications of this vital software. Let Liberty be your guide as you navigate this exciting field.
- GEOG 630 – Transport Geography
- GEOG 640 – Remote Sensing*
- GEOG 641 – GIS for Urban Planning*
- GEOG 642 – GIS for Disaster Management*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Geography GIS Master’s Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your Master of Arts in Geography – Geographic Information Systems from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- You can complete our online GIS master’s degree in geography in as little as 1.5 years.
- You’ll be able to benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from across the country.
- Our MA in Geography – Geographic Information Systems is taught by expert professors who have years of experience and a passion for your success.
MA in Geography – Geographic Information Systems Degree Online Information
- The online Master of Arts in Geography – Geographic Information Systems falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MA in Geography – GIS Degree Graduates
- Geographic information systems (GIS) technologist
- Industrial developer
- Nonprofit worker
- Policy developer
- Public administrator
Admission Requirements for the MA in Geography
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.