Build Your Vision for Your Hometown or New City with Liberty’s Online Geography Master’s Degree in Urban Planning
Have you ever visited a city and pondered its needs? Perhaps you saw opportunities to build restaurants, recreational facilities, housing, or churches – and you felt inspired to put your vision into practice. If so, Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Arts (MA) in Geography – Urban Planning may be for you!
Urban planners have to consider and be well-versed in the geography of a particular land. The lay of a land, its history, and projected population growth must be considered when making long-term plans. At Liberty, you can learn how to work around each of these factors. Taught by expert professors who are dedicated to helping you succeed, our online master’s degree in geography and urban planning is capable of helping you pursue a wide variety of careers in public administration, at a think tank or consulting firm, and much more.
At Liberty, we don’t shortchange you when you pursue an online degree – we empower you. Our urban planning master’s degree is offered 100% online in convenient 8-week sections with no set login times and no required intensives. That way, you can further your education while remaining committed to the things that matter most – like your job, family, and community. Don’t settle when you choose a university for your master’s degree; choose Liberty University – a school with your best interest at heart.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Geography Degree in Urban Planning?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to develop a rigorous online degree program that challenges you to grow, helps you stand out in applicant pools, and respects your personal commitments. Our online master’s degree in geography was carefully designed with your success in mind – both inside and outside of the time dedicated to your studies.
Our history of academic excellence is demonstrated by our regional accreditation. Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Between the 2 types of accreditation (national and regional), regional accreditation is the more prestigious. In addition, we are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Earning your master’s degree in geography from a university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart as a knowledgeable, principled job candidate.
Additionally, earning a master’s degree is an excellent way to boost your earning potential. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, people who hold a master’s degree earn an average of 18% more annually than those whose highest level of educational attainment is a bachelor’s degree.* Our online master’s in geography and urban planning degree could be your ticket to a pay raise.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment, 2021 (viewed online Oct. 10, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Geography Master’s Degree in Urban Planning?
Our master’s degree in geography and urban planning consists of 2 sections: core courses and urban planning courses.
You’ll begin this program of study by exploring research methods, geographic information systems (GIS), and quantitative analysis. You’ll also study human geography, historical geography, demography and populations, and economic geography. Coursework in transport geography and military geography round out the core section of this degree and prepare you to dive into urban planning courses.
In the urban planning section of this degree, you will study geography and urban planning; GIS for urban planning; and politics, strategies, and initiatives of community economic development. This set of courses will empower you to grasp how the lay of a land impacts planning, the value of using GIS when making plans for a city, and how to share your vision with elected officials and citizens alike.
- GEOG 502 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)*
- GEOG 541 – Geography and Urban Planning*
- GEOG 641 – GIS for Urban Planning*
- PADM 530 – Politics, Strategies, and Initiatives of Community Economic Development
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Urban Planning Online Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your Master of Arts in Geography from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- You can complete our online master’s degree in geography in as little as 1.5 years.
- You’ll be able to benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from across the country.
- Our MA in Geography is taught by expert professors who have years of experience and a passion for your success.
Master’s Degree in Urban Planning Information
- This degree falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Graduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for MA in Urban Planning Graduates
- Geographic information systems (GIS) specialist
- Public administrator
- Public policy worker
- Urban planner
Admission Requirements for the MA in Geography
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.