Expand Your Patient Care with Liberty’s Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Due to the high volume of interest in the Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, the Liberty University School of Nursing is only taking applications for the Spring 2024 semester at this time.
As a nursing professional, you know that a holistic approach is often needed for a person’s healing. We strive to help nursing professionals get the specialized mental health training necessary to minister to all of their patients’ needs. That’s why Liberty University developed the 100% online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Median Average Salary
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics (visited March 8, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
For nursing professionals with master’s or doctoral training as a nurse practitioner, this certificate is designed to help establish further advanced training in mental health. You can be equipped to support patient outcomes while providing a pathway to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Potential Career Options
Successfully passing your Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification may open the door to increased opportunities and marketability. You can become qualified to work as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) in the following settings:
- Behavioral health clinics
- Correctional facilities
- General practitioners’ offices
- Inpatient or outpatient psychiatric facilities
- Mental health agencies
- Veteran psychiatric facilities
Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Licensure requirements may vary and are subject to change without notice. View your state’s requirements here: licensure/certification requirements.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
FAQs for Liberty University’s Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- What is a post-master’s certificate nurse practitioner? This is a program for nurse practitioners with a master’s or doctoral degree who would like specialized mental health training to sit for the PMHNP certification exam.
- How long does it take to get a post-master’s certificate? Liberty offers one of the shortest post master’s PMHNP online programs. As a result, it only takes approximately 1 year to earn Liberty University’s post master’s psych NP certification. This means you can receive a top-notch education without having to put your life on hold.
- How do I become a certified psychiatric nurse practitioner? By completing one of the available and qualifying online PMHNP programs, you can sit for your NP psychiatric mental health certification exam.
- How much does a psych NP make? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median salary for psych nurse practitioners in 2020 was $114,510.*
- What does a mental health NP do? Psychiatric nurse practitioners are equipped to assess the mental health needs of their patients, provide therapy, and prescribe medication.
How do I become a preceptor for a graduate/doctoral nursing student? Do you have an interest in precepting a graduate or doctoral nursing student? At Liberty University’s School of Nursing, we are always looking to partner with qualified preceptors to contribute to the education of our future Family Nurse Practitioners, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners, and DNP’s!
Please complete a brief survey (coming soon) and our team of Preceptor Coordinators will send you some additional information about our preceptor requirements and responsibilities. Thank you!
Please review Liberty University’s PMHNP FAQ sheet for more information.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics, (visited March 8, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner?
If you are looking for a 100% online post master’s PMHNP program, then look no further than Liberty University’s advanced, postgraduate training program. Our post-graduate certificate in mental health nurse practitioner is designed with flexibility in mind so you can complete your certificate while maintaining your work and family commitments.
In addition to flexibility, you can complete your post master’s PMHNP certificate in as little as 1 year! This makes our program one of the shortest PMHNP certificate programs that you can pursue. Your courses are designed to maximize your learning while minimizing the length of the class. With this flexibility, you can focus on what matters to you.
Liberty University is also accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can be confident that you are pursuing a world-class education.
As you are considering PMHNP certificate programs online, you may be wondering what sets Liberty apart from other schools. As a Christian university, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. We strive to fulfill this mission by equipping nursing professionals with the mental health support skills they need to meet the emotional and spiritual needs of patients. All of our online content is created with a Christian worldview in mind. We want to equip you with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to mental health nursing practice, grounded in biblical principles.
After you finish your Post Master’s Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, you may be better prepared to sit for the PMHNP certification exam. You may also be able to apply your credits to one of our doctoral programs.
Students who are accepted and offered a seat each semester will be required to submit a $500 deposit,* which will be applied to your student account to be used towards tuition, fees, etc. If accepted to our program, you will receive additional information via your Liberty email regarding your next steps and payment of the deposit.
*Deposit refund deadlines apply. Contact the School of Nursing for specific semester refund dates.
What Will You Learn in Our Postgraduate Certificate Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program?
Like other online psychiatric nurse practitioner programs, our certificate can provide you with advanced, doctoral-level coursework and training. You can learn about nursing-oriented mental health approaches to neurological conditions and mental disorders. Your courses will emphasize treatment and practical application of psychiatric theory.
Our program differs from others because we are committed to biblical principles. Our program can prepare you to be a nurse practitioner who practices Christian ethical standards when providing mental health services to patients across the lifespan.
Your training will culminate in a comprehensive exam that can ensure you are prepared to provide mental health support in the field of nursing. This exam can also determine if you are equipped to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
- NURS 751 – Neurobiology and Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders
- NURS 752 – Clinical Psychopharmacology
- NURS 753 – Psychotherapeutic Theories, Frameworks & Modalities
- NURS 754 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum I: Adult/Gero
- NURS 755 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum II: Pediatrics/Family
- NURS 821 – Comprehensive Exam: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Course guides available upon request
Program Highlights of the Psychiatric NP Certificate Program Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.*
- You can have the opportunity to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification upon completion.
- As an online student, you can network with leaders and experts in health sciences from across the country.
- You can complete the online psychiatric mental health NP certificate in as little as 3 semesters making it one of the shortest PMHNP programs.
- The credits earned in this certificate can be applied toward a relevant doctoral degree.
*Please note: Effective Spring 2022, tuition rates for Liberty’s PMHNP programs have increased. For details, please see our tuition and fees page.
Certificate Information for the Postgraduate Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Online Program
- This certificate falls under the School of Nursing.
- Download the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Nursing Course Guides (login required).
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- This certificate contains a comprehensive examination.
- This program will require a background check.
- Please review our FAQ sheet for more information.
- Please note: This program contains some 16-week courses.
- Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. View the licensure/certification requirements for your state.
Students must hold a current and active RN license within the United States and current APRN license.
For advising, please contact email@example.com.
Doctoral Nursing Information and Q&A Webinar
Below is an archived recording of the doctoral nursing informational webinar. Please note that this webinar covers all nursing doctoral programs. If you have further questions about a specific program, please request information.
Due to the high volume of interest in the Post Graduate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, student enrollment may be limited to ensure practicum placement and student success. Please note that LUSON has three start dates for this program (fall, spring, summer). As enrollment meets capacity each semester, eligible prospective students may be placed on a wait list and/or admitted to a later term. If you have any additional questions, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
At this time, our Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is limited in certain states. Please view the licensure/certification requirements for your state. International students can contact the School of Nursing for questions about admission to their specific degree of interest.
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited BSN and MSN or DNP with GPAs of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Students must also be able to demonstrate that they have graduated from a CCNE- or ACEN-approved program and that their MSN or DNP has an approved advanced practice specialty. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- 1 reference contact
- Writing sample
- Current and active RN license from an approved state
- Active APRN license issued from an approved state
- Verification of professional certification as an advanced practice nurse (Nurse Practitioner)
- American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.