Expand Your Patient Care with Liberty’s Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Due to the high volume of interest in the Post Graduate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, the Liberty University School of Nursing has announced that enrollment for this program is currently closed. Any subsequent approved applicants will be waitlisted.
As a nursing professional, you know that a holistic approach is often needed for a person’s healing. We strive to help nursing professionals get the specialized mental health training they need to minister to all of their patients’ needs. That’s why Liberty University developed the 100% online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
Median Average Salary
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives, and Nurse Practitioners (viewed online July 27, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
For nursing professionals with master’s or doctoral training as a nurse practitioner, this certificate will help establish further advanced training in mental health. You can be equipped to support patient outcomes while providing a pathway to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Potential Career Options
Successfully passing your Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification may open the door to increased opportunities and marketability. You can become qualified to work as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) in the following settings:
- Behavioral health clinics
- Correctional facilities
- General practitioners’ offices
- Inpatient or outpatient psychiatric facilities
- Mental health agencies
- Veteran psychiatric facilities
Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner from Liberty University.
Licensure requirements may vary and are subject to change without notice. View your state’s requirements here: licensure/certification requirements.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
FAQs for Liberty University’s Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- What is a post-master’s certificate nurse practitioner? This is a program for nurse practitioners with a master’s or doctoral degree who would like specialized mental health training to sit for the PMHNP certification exam.
- How long does it take to get a post-master’s certificate? It takes approximately 1 year to earn Liberty University’s post-master’s psych NP certification.
- How do I become a certified psychiatric nurse practitioner? By completing one of the available and qualifying online PMHNP programs, you can sit for your NP psychiatric mental health certification exam.
- How much does a psych NP make? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median salary for psych nurse practitioners in 2019 was $115,800.*
- What does a mental health NP do? Psychiatric nurse practitioners are equipped to assess the mental health needs of their patients, provide therapy, and prescribe medication.
Please review Liberty University’s PMHNP FAQ sheet for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner?
If you are looking at 100% online post-master’s PMHNP programs, you can pursue advanced, postgraduate training without visiting campus with Liberty University’s program. Our post-graduate certificate in mental health nurse practitioner offers flexible courses so you can complete your certificate while maintaining your work and family commitments.
As you are considering online PMHNP certificate programs, you may be wondering what sets Liberty apart from other schools. As a Christian university, our mission is Training Champions for Christ.
We strive to fulfill this mission by equipping nursing professionals with the mental health support skills they need to meet the emotional and spiritual needs of patients. All of our online content is created with a Christian worldview in mind. We want to equip you with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to mental health nursing practice, grounded in biblical principles.
What Will You Learn in Our Postgraduate Certificate Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program?
Like other online psychiatric nurse practitioner programs, our certificate can provide you with advanced, doctoral-level coursework and training. You can learn about nursing-oriented mental health approaches to neurological conditions and mental disorders. Your courses will emphasize treatment and practical application of psychiatric theory.
Our program differs from others because we are committed to biblical principles. Our program can prepare you to be a nurse practitioner who practices Christian ethical standards when providing mental health services to patients across the lifespan.
Your training will culminate in a comprehensive exam that can ensure you are prepared to provide mental health support in the field of nursing. This exam can also determine if you are equipped to sit for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
Please note: In support of students and in compliance with the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) requirements, Liberty University School of Nursing DNP and APRN Certificate programs work with students to provide precepted practicum placements. During this time of COVID 19, many hospitals and clinics have closed their sites to nurse practitioner and DNP students. This may lead to sites being unavailable to students for a time. This inability to place students in practicum sites may delay enrollment in practicum courses and ultimately graduation.
- NURS 751 – Neurobiology and Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders
- NURS 752 – Clinical Psychopharmacology
- NURS 753 – Psychotherapeutic Theories, Frameworks Modalities
- NURS 754 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum I: Adult/Gero
- NURS 755 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum II: Pediatrics/Family
- NURS 821 – Comprehensive Exam: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Course guides available upon request
Program Highlights of the Psychiatric NP Certificate Program Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.*
- You can have the opportunity to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification upon completion.
- As an online student, you can network with leaders and experts in health sciences from across the country.
- You can complete the online psychiatric mental health NP certificate in as little as 3 semesters!
- The credits earned in this certificate can be applied toward a relevant doctoral degree.
*Please note: Beginning Spring 2022, tuition rates for Liberty’s PMHNP programs will increase. Students who have begun coursework in Fall 2021 or earlier – and who do not break enrollment or graduate – will be grandfathered into the previous full-time/part-time tuition rate.
Program Information for the Psychiatric Mental Health NP Certificate
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- This certificate falls under the School of Nursing.
- This certificate contains a comprehensive examination.
- This program will require a background check.
- Download the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Nursing Course Guides (login required).
- Please review our FAQ sheet for more information.
- Please note: This program contains some 16-week courses.
- Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. View the licensure/certification requirements for your state.
Students must hold a current and active RN license within the United States and current APRN license.
For advising, please contact email@example.com.
Doctoral Nursing Information and Q&A Webinar
Below is an archived recording of the doctoral nursing informational webinar. Please note that this webinar covers all nursing doctoral programs. If you have further questions about a specific program, please request information.
Admission Requirements for Our Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health
Due to the high volume of interest in the Post Graduate Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, student enrollment may be limited to ensure practicum placement and student success. Please note that LUSON has three start dates for this program (fall, spring, summer). As enrollment meets capacity each semester, eligible prospective students may be placed on a wait list and/or admitted to a later term. If you have any additional questions, you may email PMHNP@liberty.edu.
At this time, our Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is limited in certain states. Please view the licensure/certification requirements for your state. International students can contact the School of Nursing for questions about admission to their specific degree of interest.
In support of students and in compliance with the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) requirements, Liberty University School of Nursing DNP and APRN Certificate programs work with students to provide precepted practicum placements. During this time of COVID 19, many hospitals and clinics have closed their sites to nurse practitioner and DNP students. This may lead to sites being unavailable to students for a time. This inability to place students in practicum sites may delay enrollment in practicum courses and ultimately graduation.
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited BSN and MSN or DNP with GPAs of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Students must also be able to demonstrate that they have graduated from a CCNE- or ACEN-approved program and that their MSN or DNP has an approved advanced practice specialty. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information. An interview may be requested for selected applicants.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- 1 reference contact
- Writing sample
- Current and active RN license from an approved state
- Active APRN license issued from an approved state
- Verification of professional certification as an advanced practice nurse (Nurse Practitioner)
- American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.