Expand Your Patient Care with Liberty’s Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
As a nursing professional, you know that to help people heal, a holistic approach is often needed. To help nursing professionals get the specialized mental health training they need to minister to all of their patients’ needs, Liberty University developed the 100% online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. For nursing professionals with master’s or doctoral training as a nurse practitioner, this certificate will help establish further advanced training in mental health that will support patient outcomes while providing a pathway to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certification.
*At this time, the Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is unable to accept students outside of the states of Maryland, Tennessee, and Virginia. RN and Nurse Practitioner licenses from one of these approved states are required for admission.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner?
With Liberty University’s 100% online course format, you can pursue advanced, post-graduate level training in mental health without requiring a visit to campus. Liberty’s flexible and affordable 8-week format will give you the structure you need to complete your coursework quickly while staying connected at work, at home, and in your community. As a Christian university, Liberty’s mission is to Train Champions for Christ, and we fulfill our mission by equipping nursing professionals with the mental health support skills they need to meet the emotional, physical, and spiritual needs of patients. With this goal in mind, Liberty’s online content is delivered from a Christian worldview, giving you a rigorous and evidence-based approach to mental health nursing practice that is grounded in biblical principles.
What Will You Learn in our Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program?
Our 100% online postgraduate certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health NP is designed to prepare nurse practitioners with a commitment to Christian ethical standards to provide mental health care services to clients across the lifespan. To this end, the course content of this certificate covers advanced, doctoral-level nursing-oriented mental health approaches to neurological conditions and mental disorders with an emphasis on treatment and practical application of psychiatric theory. This training culminates in a comprehensive exam that will ensure students who complete this certificate are prepared to provide mental health support in the field of nursing and will be equipped to sit for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certification.
NURS 751 – Neurobiology & Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders
NURS 752 – Clinical Psychopharmacology
NURS 753 – Psychotherapeutic Theories, Frameworks & Modalities
NURS 754 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum I: Adult/Gero
NURS 755 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum II: Pediatrics/Family
NURS 821 – Comprehensive Exam: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Program Highlights of the Online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health NP
- By earning your online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health NP from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- Opportunity to sit for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certification upon completion.
- As an online student, you will have the opportunity to network with leaders and experts in health sciences and healthcare from across the country.
- Students can complete the online Psychiatric Mental Health NP certificate in as little as three semesters!
- You may apply many credits earned in this certificate toward a relevant Doctoral Degree.
Program Information for the Psychiatric Mental Health NP Certificate
- This certificate falls under the School of Nursing.
- This certificate contains a comprehensive examination.
- This program will require a background check.
- Download the Certificate Completion Plan
Admission Requirements for Our Online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health NP
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited BSN and MSN (or DNP) with GPAs of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Students must also be able to demonstrate that they have graduated from a CCNE or ACEN approved program, and that their MSN (or DNP) has an approved advanced practice specialty. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information. An interview may be requested for selected applicants.
*At this time, the Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner is unable to accept students outside of the states of Maryland, Tennessee, and Virginia. RN and Nurse Practitioner licenses from one of these approved states are required for admissions.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- One Reference Contact
- Practicum Hour Verification Form
- Writing Sample
- Current and Active RN License from Maryland, Tennessee, or Virginia
- Active APRN license issued from Maryland, Tennessee, or Virginia
- Verification of professional certification as an advanced practice nurse (Nurse Practitioner)
- Clinical APRN Education – Must have graduate-level courses in three areas: health assessment across the lifespan, pathophysiology, and pharmacology.
- American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Doctoral Nursing Information and Q&A Webinar
Below is an archived recording of the Doctoral Nursing informational webinar. Please note that this webinar covers all nursing doctoral programs – if you have further questions about a specific program, please Request Information.
Enrollment in one of Liberty University’s School licensure programs does not guarantee a degree from Liberty or qualification for licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. Further information regarding these academic and professional requirements are outlined on the Liberty University website. Students enrolled in a licensure program are responsible for knowing the material outlined for their program. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not the program, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state Board of Nursing.
Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. Liberty University is not responsible for knowing when changes occur. Additionally, there might be other states with unique licensure requirements. Please reference our State Requirements for NP and APRN Licensure page for further information.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the world. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.