Expand Your Patient Care with Liberty’s Postgraduate Certificate in Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
As a nursing professional, you know that a holistic approach is often needed for a person’s healing. We strive to help nursing professionals get the specialized mental health training they need to minister to all of their patients’ needs. That’s why Liberty University developed the 100% online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
For nursing professionals with master’s or doctoral training as a nurse practitioner, this certificate will help establish further advanced training in mental health. You can be equipped to support patient outcomes while providing a pathway to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
FAQs for Liberty University’s Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- What is a post-master’s certificate nurse practitioner? This is a program for nurse practitioners with a master’s or doctoral degree who would like specialized mental health training to sit for the PMHNP certification exam.
- How long does it take to get a post-master’s certificate? It takes approximately 1 year to earn Liberty University’s post-master’s psych NP certification.
- How do I become a certified psychiatric nurse practitioner? By completing one of the available and qualifying online PMHNP programs, you can sit for your NP psychiatric mental health certification exam.
- How much does a psych NP make? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median salary for psych nurse practitioners in 2019 was $115,800.*
- What does a mental health NP do? Psychiatric nurse practitioners are equipped to assess the mental health needs of their patients, provide therapy, and prescribe medication.
Please review Liberty University’s PMHNP FAQ sheet for more information.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives, and Nurse Practitioners (viewed online July 27, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Postgraduate Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner?
If you are looking at 100% online post-master’s PMHNP programs, you can pursue advanced, postgraduate training without visiting campus with Liberty University’s program. Our post-graduate certificate in mental health nurse practitioner offers flexible, 8-week courses so you can complete your certificate while maintaining your work and family commitments.
As you are considering online PMHNP certificate programs, you may be wondering what sets Liberty apart from other schools. As a Christian university, our mission is Training Champions for Christ.
We strive to fulfill this mission by equipping nursing professionals with the mental health support skills they need to meet the emotional and spiritual needs of patients. All of our online content is created with a Christian worldview in mind. We want to equip you with a rigorous, evidence-based approach to mental health nursing practice, grounded in biblical principles.
What Will You Learn in Our Postgraduate Certificate Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program?
Like other online psychiatric nurse practitioner programs, our certificate will provide you with advanced, doctoral-level coursework and training. You will learn about nursing-oriented mental health approaches to neurological conditions and mental disorders. Your courses will emphasize treatment and practical application of psychiatric theory.
Our program differs from others because we are committed to biblical principles. Our program will prepare you to be a nurse practitioner who practices Christian ethical standards when providing mental health services to patients across the lifespan.
Your training will culminate in a comprehensive exam that will ensure you are prepared to provide mental health support in the field of nursing. This exam will also determine if you are equipped to sit for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification.
Please note: In support of students and in compliance with the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) requirements, Liberty University School of Nursing DNP and APRN Certificate programs work with students to provide precepted practicum placements. During this time of COVID 19, many hospitals and clinics have closed their sites to nurse practitioner and DNP students. This may lead to sites being unavailable to students for a time. This inability to place students in practicum sites may delay enrollment in practicum courses and ultimately graduation.
- NURS 751 – Neurobiology and Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders
- NURS 752 – Clinical Psychopharmacology
- NURS 753 – Psychotherapeutic Theories, Frameworks Modalities
- NURS 754 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum I: Adult/Gero
- NURS 755 – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practioner Practicum II: Pediatrics/Family
- NURS 821 – Comprehensive Exam: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Program Highlights of the Psychiatric NP Certificate Program Online
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- You will have the opportunity to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) certification upon completion.
- As an online student, you can network with leaders and experts in health sciences from across the country.
- You can complete the online psychiatric mental health NP certificate in as little as 3 semesters!
- The credits earned in this certificate can be applied toward a relevant doctoral degree.
Program Information for the Psychiatric Mental Health NP Certificate
- The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the post-graduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
- This certificate falls under the School of Nursing.
- This certificate contains a comprehensive examination.
- This program will require a background check.
- Download the Certificate Completion Plan.
- Please review our FAQ sheet for more information.
Students must hold a current and active RN license within the United States.
For advising, please contact email@example.com.
Doctoral Nursing Information and Q&A Webinar
Below is an archived recording of the doctoral nursing informational webinar. Please note that this webinar covers all nursing doctoral programs. If you have further questions about a specific program, please request information.
Military Benefits for Our Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certification Online Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $300 per credit hour for postgraduate courses
- Maximize tuition assistance without having to use GI Bill® benefits*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Please note: The $300/credit hour doctoral military rate cannot be combined with the First Responder Discount.
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Admission Requirements for Our Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited BSN and MSN or DNP with GPAs of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Students must also be able to demonstrate that they have graduated from a CCNE or ACEN approved program and that their MSN or DNP has an approved advanced practice specialty. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information. An interview may be requested for selected applicants.
In support of students and in compliance with the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) requirements, Liberty University School of Nursing DNP and APRN Certificate programs work with students to provide precepted practicum placements. During this time of COVID 19, many hospitals and clinics have closed their sites to nurse practitioner and DNP students. This may lead to sites being unavailable to students for a time. This inability to place students in practicum sites may delay enrollment in practicum courses and ultimately graduation.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- One reference contact
- Writing sample
- Current and active RN license from an approved state
- Active APRN license issued from an approved state
- Verification of professional certification as an advanced practice nurse (Nurse Practitioner)
- American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers with AED
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.