Glorify God Through Worship with an M.A. in Worship Studies – African-American Worship
African-American worship is culturally unique, rooted in history and grounded in community. If you are interested in working as a worship pastor in an African-American church or community setting, you can engage the hearts, minds, and souls of your congregation and lead your ministry by developing worship that is experiential, holistic, and integrative.
Throughout our M.A. in Worship Studies – African-American Worship, you will gain the ability to lead dynamic and enriching worship of God and bring to all cultures a unique and communal worship experience. You will learn how to inspire, guide and instruct your congregation in their walk with the Lord from world-class and nationally known pastors. You will also learn how to develop a worship strategy based on biblical, theological, and philosophical foundations of worship.
We will teach you how to form a great relationship with your senior pastor and organize your team so that they work together as a cohesive unit exalting the Lord. Learn to create a social experience in which people from all walks of life come together to glorify God and affirm their holy connections as brothers and sisters in Christ.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A. Worship Studies – African-American Worship Degree?
As one of the largest, nonprofit, Christian universities in the nation, Liberty University already has a proven track record of providing outstanding education, especially in the field of divinity. Liberty University realized the need for an African-American worship degree and has partnered with several nationally known pastors and teachers in order to provide a degree that speaks to the unique experience of the African-American worship leader.
In addition to the classes that focus on African-American worship, we also provide the tools and techniques that are used for contemporary worship and the standard role of a worship leader. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ in all communities, and our professors see it as their calling to support you in your endeavor to spread the gospel.
What Will You Learn in Our African-American Worship Degree?
Liberty’s online M.A. in Worship Studies specialization in African-American worship provides the biblical foundational knowledge needed to effectively lead African-American worship. Our courses highlight practical applications for worshipping with integrity and accountability, leading with authority, and inspiring discipleship that refreshes the soul.
As a student in this degree, you will focus on the history of African-American worship so you can bridge cultural differences with a congregation. Learn how to speak to social, inter-generational, and ecclesiastical issues in the black or multicultural church community. Your courses will include a major writing project based on collaborative research designed to refine your understanding of these diverse issues in the worship community.
WRSP 631 – Spiritual Formation for Leading African-American Worship
WRSP 632 – Emerging Issues in African-American Worship
WRSP 641 – Team Building in African-American Worship
WRSP 671 – God’s People and the History of African-American Worship
Highlights of Our African-American Worship Master’s Degree
- By earning your master’s in worship studies degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s degree in worship studies has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- You can complete our Master of Arts in Worship Studies degree program in less than two years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
M.A. in Worship Studies – African-American Worship Degree Information
- This program is 100% online.
- This degree is 42 total credit hours.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
Master’s Degree in Music and Worship Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey. As a thank you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for Worship Studies Graduates
- Associate chaplain
- Director of religious activities, worship, and education
- Music teacher or therapist
- Worship pastor
Admission Requirements for Online Master of Arts in Worship Studies
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. A master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits from an accredited institution may be assessed. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.