Glorify God through Worship with an M.A. in Worship Studies –African-American Worship
African-American worship is culturally unique, rooted in history, and grounded in community. If you are interested in working as a worship pastor in an African-American church or community setting, you can engage the hearts, minds, and souls of your congregation and lead your ministry by developing worship that is experiential, holistic, and integrative.
Throughout our M.A. in Worship Studies – African-American Worship, you will gain the ability to lead dynamic and enriching worship and bring a unique and communal worship experience to all cultures. You will learn how to inspire, guide, and instruct your congregation in their walk with the Lord from world-class and nationally known pastors. You will also learn how to develop a worship strategy based on biblical, theological, and philosophical foundations of worship.
We will teach you how to form a great relationship with your senior pastor and organize your team so that they work together as a cohesive unit exalting the Lord. Learn to create a social experience in which people from all walks of life come together to glorify God and affirm their holy connections as brothers and sisters in Christ.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.A. Worship Studies – African-American Worship Degree?
As one of the largest, nonprofit, Christian universities in the nation, Liberty University already has a proven track record of providing outstanding education, especially in the field of divinity. Liberty University realized the need for an African-American worship degree and has partnered with several nationally known pastors and teachers in order to provide a degree that speaks to the unique experience of the African-American worship leader.
In addition to the classes that focus on African-American worship, we also provide the tools and techniques that are used for contemporary worship while providing information on the standard role of a worship leader. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ in all communities, and our professors see it as their calling to support you in your endeavor to spread the gospel through music.
What Will You Learn in Our African-American Worship Degree?
Liberty’s online M.A. in Worship Studies — African-American Worship provides the biblical knowledge needed to effectively lead African-American worship. Our courses highlight practical applications for worshipping with integrity and accountability, leading with authority, and inspiring discipleship that refreshes the soul.
As a student in this degree, you will focus on the history of African-American worship so you can bridge cultural differences with a congregation. Learn how to speak to social, inter-generational, and ecclesiastical issues in the black or multicultural church community. Your courses will include a major writing project based on collaborative research designed to refine your understanding of these diverse issues in the worship community.
WRSP 631 – Spiritual Formation for Leading African-American Worship*
WRSP 632 – Emerging Issues in African-American Worship*
WRSP 641 – Team Building in African-American Worship*
WRSP 671 – God’s People and the History of African-American Worship*
*course guides not yet available
Highlights of Our African-American Worship Master’s Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online master’s in worship studies degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our master’s degree in worship studies has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our Master of Arts in Worship Studies degree program in less than 2 years.
M.A. in Worship Studies – African-American Worship Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
Master’s Degree in Worship Studies Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for Worship Studies Graduates
- Associate chaplain
- Director of religious activities, worship, and education
- Music teacher or therapist
- Worship pastor
Admission Requirements for the Online Master of Arts in Worship Studies
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admission related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.