Intensives Dress Code
Attending intensives on Liberty University’s campus provides an exciting way for you to integrate peer-to-peer contact through your online degree program. To take part in this opportunity, students are given the option to choose either week-long or weekend intensives (as available by degree program) that best fit their schedules. Each of our intensives is created to promote student success and quality education. As you prepare for your on-campus intensive, you may have questions about what to wear. We have provided some helpful information below that can prepare you for what to bring while attending your intensive.
What Should You Wear to Liberty University Intensives?
It is important to note that some Liberty University intensive professors may require a specific class dress. If this is the case, your professor will make you aware of specific needs and suggestions ahead of time, usually sent through email or posted on Canvas. Students in the past have reported that the classrooms can be chilly at times, so packing a blanket or sweater may prove beneficial for your comfort.
For general Liberty University intensives dress code standards, students will need to bring outfits for presenting, regular class dress, and casual wear for outside of the classroom. Please be aware that you are not permitted to wear tennis/athletic shoes, flip-flops, or any sort of headgear including hats, hoods, bandanas, etc. in the classrooms. Liberty University seeks to promote neatness, appropriateness, and modesty to further create a professional Christ-like learning environment.
Appropriate Dress for Class Presentations
Many times, we receive questions regarding what to wear for a class presentation. Most Liberty University intensives courses encompass group or individual projects that are presented to the class towards the end of the week. Regarding Liberty dress for presenting, students are expected to wear business professional attire.
- Button up shirt or dress shirt with a tie
- Dress shoes
- Dress slacks with a dress shirt or blouse
- Skirt with a dress shirt, blouse, or a dress (skirts and dresses should fall to the knee)
- Dress shoes
General Dress for the Classroom
Liberty University intensives allow students to wear casual but professional attire that can be worn in academic and administrative buildings during class hours.
The dress guidelines listed below are for general class non-presentation days.
- Slacks or neat jeans
- Collared shirt
- Closed-toed shoes
- Slacks or neat jeans
- Nice tops/blouses
- Sandals or closed-toed shoes
Casual Wear for Outside of the Classroom
For dress outside of the classroom, Liberty University intensives students are able to wear the attire of their choosing.
Men and Women
- Athletic shoes and sandals
Please dress modestly as our residential students are held to the same standards.
Please note that if your intensive course takes place during the residential semester, some academic buildings require class dress be worn during class hours. These buildings include Arthur S. Demoss Learning Center (DeMoss Hall), Jerry Falwell Library, Liberty’s Science Hall, and the Center for Music and Worship.
Additional Liberty University Intensive FAQs
Can you wear hats in the classroom?
- Yes and no. Baseball hats are asked not to be worn in the classroom, but they are allowed after class hours. Beanies and other hats generally are not permitted, but this is left up to the discretion of the professor. Please be aware that you are not allowed to wear a hat/headwear while giving a presentation.
Can I wear active attire to class?
- Again, this is left up to the discretion of the professor. We do prefer students to wear business casual attire to maintain a professional academic atmosphere. Outside of class, students are able to wear active attire and shoes.
Can I wear leggings to class?
- While it is preferred for students to wear business casual attire, students are permitted to wear leggings accompanied by a long shirt (to the knee) to ensure modesty. Leggings are not permitted when giving a presentation.
What types of shoes are permissible?
- Permissible shoes depend on the situation in question. Women and men are able to wear the shoes of their choice outside of class time. While in class, it is expected to wear neat and professional shoes. For women, this could include flats, heels, boat shoes, nice boots, etc. For men, this means dress shoes, oxfords, boat shoes, loafers, etc.
Weather and Other Packing Tips
Check the weather for Lynchburg, Va. the week before to plan for your on-campus intensive. If inclement weather is in the forecast, you may want to pack heavier sweaters, scarves, gloves, umbrella, and jackets. We also suggest you bring comfortable shoes, as you may want to do some walking around our beautiful campus!