Pursue Your Passion for Human Performance with Liberty’s PhD in Health Sciences – Exercise and Sport Science Degree Online
Are you an allied health professional seeking a terminal degree? Do you want to further your career in research, academia, sports science, occupational performance, or exercise physiology? If so, Liberty’s online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Health Sciences – Exercise and Sport Science can help. Through this program, you can enrich your knowledge of human performance and pursue new opportunities as a professor, scientist, scholar, or industry leader.
Maybe you enjoy working in clinical settings, or perhaps you are passionate about sharing your love of exercise science with the next generation of college students. Either way, our sport science degree online can help you pursue leadership roles in a variety of health-related settings. In addition to exploring advanced health sciences topics, you’ll learn about important aspects of sports performance so you can help athletes achieve peak performance. The knowledge you gain in this program can also help you work with a wide range of clients — not just athletes — who want to accomplish certain fitness and wellness goals.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that employment in healthcare professions will grow 15% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all industries.* With our health sciences PhD, you can become equipped to address challenges in this rapidly growing field. Partner with us and earn a degree that can help you thrive in a variety of career paths.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Healthcare Occupations (viewed online April 26, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Health Sciences – Sport and Exercise Science Degree Online?
At Liberty, your success is our success. We want to help you become an ethical, skilled professional who can make a difference in the healthcare field. Whether you’re passionate about working directly with patients and clients or passing on your knowledge to the next generation of allied health professionals, our doctoral degree in sports science can help you pursue rewarding job opportunities.
Liberty’s degree in exercise science is offered 100% online, so you can earn your degree from the comfort of home. You can easily access your course materials whenever you need them and achieve your academic goals without putting your life on hold. Most importantly, you can stay invested in the things that matter — like your family, job, and community — while taking the next step in your academic journey.
Throughout this program, you’ll study under professors who are experts in sports science, strength training, kinesiology, and other related fields. With their guidance, you can strengthen your skill set and prepare to help meet the need for allied health personnel and faculty. Our courses integrate ethical principles with industry best practices, so you can learn how to lead with integrity in your chosen career path.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Health Sciences – Exercise and Sport Science Degree Online?
This program is broken down into 4 main parts: core courses, research and statistics, a dissertation, and the exercise and sport science specialization. Throughout the core courses, you’ll study healthcare delivery systems, leadership, risk management, and evidence-based practice as they relate to the field of health sciences. You’ll also explore effective methods for teaching and evaluation, so you can prepare to teach at the college level.
Our research courses cover important qualitative and quantitative research methods that are frequently used in the health sciences discipline. The dissertation process provides an opportunity for you to conduct original research and contribute to the base of knowledge in your field. Completing a dissertation can also help you prepare to disseminate research in a variety of human performance-related settings.
Within the exercise and sport science specialization, you can strengthen your effectiveness as a strength training and conditioning coach, military performance specialist, emergency services and occupational performance specialist, sports scientist, or exercise physiologist. You’ll explore a variety of relevant topics, including sports performance and conditioning, occupational and environmental physiology, assessment and programming, the effects of performance-enhancing substances, and biomechanics. Throughout the program, you can enhance your skill set and learn how to help athletes and other clients achieve their fitness goals.
- EXSC 665 – Physiology of Sport Performance and Conditioning
- EXSC 670 – Physiological Interactions of Performance Enhancing Substances
- EXSC 680 – Occupational and Environmental Physiology
- EXSC 750 – Advanced Sport Biomechanics
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our Online PhD in Health Sciences – Exercise and Sport Science
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online exercise science degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- You can complete your degree in sports science in just 3 years!
- Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- You’ll have the opportunity to network with leaders in sports science and human performance from across the country while pursuing your online degree in exercise science.
- As an online Liberty student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
- Completing your PhD gives you a terminal credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of achievement in your field.
PhD in Health Sciences – Sport and Exercise Science Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Health Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Health Sciences Course Guides (login required).
PhD in Health Sciences – Exercise and Sport Science Degree Job Opportunities
Depending on your previously obtained certifications and licenses, some of the roles you could pursue after earning this degree include:
- Exercise physiologist
- Human performance specialist
- Nutritional consultant
- Sports scientist
- Strength training and conditioning coach
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Doctorate in Exercise Science
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.