Fast Track Your Way to a Career in Healthcare with Our Online Medical Office Assistant Program
You see the hurt in the world and want to do something about it. You’re passionate about the power of medicine in healing the human lives you cherish. You recognize the complexity of the healthcare industry. And you understand the need for talented assistants who can streamline processes to make care more effective. So serve the hurting through your career by pursuing a medical assistant associate degree!
Medical office assistants play an essential role in the care and well-being of patients. They serve as vital members of health care teams in hospitals, outpatient clinics, physician’s offices, and long-term care facilities. Liberty University’s 100% online medical administrative assistant degree program can teach you the various components of working in a medical office so you can efficiently perform your daily tasks.
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of online schools for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility as well as one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com!
We’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
As you begin your medical office assistant classes, you will learn medical procedures like diagnostic coding. Also, you’ll study how to locate important information in medical coding books. You will be prepared to handle legal and ethical issues in a medical office by emphasizing:
- Risk management
- Professional liability
Medical assisting is both an incredible opportunity to serve your community and a rapidly growing career field. As more people retire and healthcare advances, the need for medical office assistants is increasing.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates the job outlook to increase by 29% through 2026 — a much higher rate than most professions.*
Now is the perfect time to join the medical field as a medical office assistant by partnering with Liberty University and joining our online program. You’ll become prepared to make a lasting, positive impact on staff and patients through our online medical office assistant program.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Outlook Handbook – Medical Assistants (viewed online June 20, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What does a medical office assistant do?
As you’re considering your career options, you may be interested in becoming a medical office assistant. However, you might be unsure of what your actual tasks would be on-the-job. Here are some of the things you’ll be doing when you become a medical office assistant:
- Work in an office environment at a clinic or doctor’s office
- Coordinate with other medical professionals
- Communicate with patients
- Handle medical coding, billing, and insurance claims
- File paperwork and keep records
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Medical Office Assistant Program?
By pursuing an associate degree in the medical field from a Christian university, you will receive medical office assistant training from a biblical worldview. Plus, your professors have both education and experience in the medical field.
At Liberty University, we strive to provide the highest standard of care to others. This is both a career necessity for medical office assistants and an example of our values.
Professors in our online medical office assistant program will guide you through your studies. You’ll learn the importance of compassion and encouragement as you interact with patients facing various life situations.
Liberty is proud to offer our medical office assistant program 100% online. This will give you the freedom to remain active in your job, family, and community without the worry of taking courses on campus.
You’ll receive everything you need to propel your career forward and be a representative of Christ in the world of healthcare. Because at Liberty, our associate degree in the medical field offers you:
- Strong academics
- Dedicated faculty
- A Christian worldview
- A flexible online format
What Will You Learn in the Medical Office Assistant Online Program?
Our medical office assistant training focuses on business and administrative aspects. As a student earning an associate degree in the medical field, you will gain the skills needed to be confident in handling the front-end administrative duties and medical billing in an office setting.
You will develop a foundation of business and administrative practices. Plus, you’ll learn the medical terms needed to handle office systems and procedures effectively.
You will learn:
- How to plan and organize workload, set priorities, develop initiative among employees, multitask, and meet deadlines
- Billing protocol concerning insurance filing demands of commercial group insurance, Medicare, Medicaid, workers’ compensation claims, and other third party billing entities
- Best practices of patient billing and bookkeeping for a medical office, including how to use the universal claim form CMS-1500, the carriers that submit the claim form, collections, payments, and accounts receivable
- Medical procedural and diagnostic coding skills, like coding manuals for insurance claim processing
- The role of the medical office assistant in infection control and how to prevent, treat, and manage infectious outbreaks in a clinical office
- Ethical and legal aspects in medicine with a focus on confidentiality, HIPAA, risk management, licensing, contracts, and professional liability
- Techniques to maintain compassionate professionalism when interacting with patients, family members, and staff
Additionally, our medical assistant associate degree offers a 160-hour externship. This will provide you with work-based experience related to your career objectives. This medical office assistant course will fine-tune your skills, making you a more valuable job candidate.
Liberty places an emphasis on both content and hands-on experience in the associate in medical assisting so you will receive all the medical office assistant training you need to advance your career and serve the hurting through healthcare.
Featured Medical Office Assistant Courses
- AMOA 203 – Medical Office Systems and Procedures
- AMOA 206 – Medical Office Billing and Bookkeeping
- AMOA 207 – Medical Office Coding
- NURS 105 – Medical Terminology
Medical Assistant Potential Career Options
Earning your associate in medical assisting gives you the needed experience for a variety of medical office assistant jobs. These include:
- Clerical and medical billing expert
- Doctor’s office assistant
- Medical clinic receptionist
- Medical records technician
Medical Office Assistant Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online medical assistant degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our online associate degrees ranked on the list of Most Affordable Degrees according to AffordableColleges.com.
- You can complete the medical assistant associate degree in about 2 years.
- Our online medical administrative assistant degree program will open the door to networking opportunities with other professionals.
- You could receive real-world experience through an optional externship.
Medical Assistant Associate Degree Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Medical Assistant Associate Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for all accredited colleges previously attended and complete the high school self-certification form. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants to the associate in medical assisting program must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form*
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.