Protect Your Country from Natural and Man-made Disasters with a Master’s in Homeland Security
Are you interested in a fast-paced career where you are the first line of defense in combating threats to our country? Maybe you have been affected by a natural disaster, and you want to bring about change in both prevention and relief efforts. Our M.S. in National Security — Homeland Security degree provides you with strong foundational knowledge in the areas of emergency management, border security, terror groups, and cyber warfare — just to name a few. You will also learn the managerial skills necessary to lead teams and departments while identifying and addressing threats to our country.
A master’s in homeland security degree can help you qualify for a wide range of positions within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and other federal agencies that aim to protect the United States. You could work in border protection, immigration services, telecommunications, international or domestic terrorism, or even federal law enforcement. You might also pursue a career as an investigator or secret service member, or you could secure a position working with disaster relief efforts when American citizens face hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, or other natural disasters.
The country needs someone like you who is committed to a life of service protecting its welfare and its people. When you pursue your degree through Liberty, you’ll receive training to help you excel in any homeland security position.
Why Choose Liberty’s M.S. in National Security — Homeland Security Online Degree?
Choosing where you’ll pursue your master’s degree is an important decision. When you choose Liberty, you’re choosing a well-respected, globally recognized, accredited university. You’re also choosing flexible course scheduling and academic excellence that is grounded in Christian principles and values.
Liberty is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means all our degree programs have met certain academic standards and requirements and will be respected among the academic community and potential employers. You can rest easy knowing you’ll be earning a challenging and worthwhile degree.
Liberty University’s mission of Training Champions for Christ is central to all we do. Every professor in your program is committed to teaching his or her course from a biblical perspective. We understand that while you pursue your degree, you’ll still have family, work, and extracurricular responsibilities. This degree can be completed 100% online, with 8-week courses available, and no set login times. You can stay committed to both your family and your career success at the same time.
What Will You Learn in Our M.S. in National Security — Homeland Security Online Degree?
Our master’s degree in homeland security offers comprehensive and advanced training in intelligence, terrorism and counterterrorism, hazard management, and other components of national security. You will explore the historical and contemporary concepts of national security as well as the laws, strategy, and data that guide national security agencies in decision-making.
Upon graduation, you will have the training to:
- Prescribe responses to contemporary and anticipated threats to national security
- Analyze the structures, functions, capabilities, and activities of national and international security community members
- Apply a Christian worldview to aspects of the national security context
- Apply knowledge of literature in the discipline of national security to research and analysis of national security strategy, policy, and execution
- NSEC 502 – Christian Values in National Security
- NSEC 503 – National Security, National Defense, and Foreign Policy
- NSEC 505 – Cyberspace Policy/Operations and Political Challenges
- NSEC 507 – Sovereignty and National Security Challenges
Highlights of Our M.S. in National Security – Homeland Security Online Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online M.S. in National Security degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years – and counting.
- This program has 8-week courses with 8 different start dates each year and no set login times.
M.S. in National Security — Homeland Security Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View this online program’s Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Homeland Security Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for Homeland Security Online Graduates
- Defense program project manager
- Elected official
- Federal law enforcement officer
- Government manager/executive
- Homeland security program analyst
- Immigration services officer
- International or domestic terrorism analyst
- Legislative aide
- Policy analyst
- Research specialist
- Secret service member
- Security specialist
- Telecommunications analyst
Admission Requirements for M.S. in National Security Online Students
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.