Learn to Lead City Development with Liberty’s Online Public Administration and Urban Planning Master’s Program
In a time of increased urbanization, there is a need for confident, prepared professionals who can skillfully manage the operations of a city and work towards the municipality’s long-term strategy for growth. Budgets, public relations, economics, legal issues, and politics are all areas that public administrators and urban planners need to be skilled in – and at Liberty, we have designed our Master of Public Administration in Urban Planning to help equip you with a foundational knowledge of these areas.
In this degree program, you’ll be able to gain a versatile skill set that can help you pursue several career opportunities. Our master of urban planning degree is offered 100% online in mostly 8-week courses with no set login times, allowing you to earn your degree while remaining committed to the things that matter most – like your job, family, and community.
What is urban planning?
Urban planning is the process by which plans for the growth and regulation of municipalities are born. Urban planners develop and execute strategies to grow cities, improve underdeveloped areas, attract businesses, and foster a unique culture that entices people to stay.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Urban Planning Online Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design an online degree program that can challenge you to grow while respecting your personal commitments. When you choose Liberty for your online urban planning degree, you choose a university with a demonstrated history of helping students achieve their professional goals. Our commitment to our students has remained steadfast, and our passion for your success has never been stronger.
Studying online at Liberty empowers you to earn a career-enhancing credential on your own schedule. With no set login times, no required intensives, and no mandatory visits to campus, you’ll be able to earn a respected master’s degree from the comfort of home and prepare yourself for a rewarding career.
Earning our master’s degree in public administration – urban planning may also be your ticket to a well-paying career. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, urban and regional planners earned an average of $75,950 in 2020.* Because this profession typically requires a master’s degree, Liberty’s MPA in Urban Planning could be the next step in your path to this career.
At Liberty, we don’t shortchange you when you pursue an online degree – we empower you. Partner with us and take your career to new heights.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Urban and Regional Planners (viewed online Nov. 11, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Urban Planning Degree?
Our Master of Public Administration in Urban Planning degree online consists of 3 sections: core courses, urban planning courses, and thesis or elective courses.
In the public administration section of this degree, you will study the fundamental principles of public administration, community economic development, and public policy. You will also study political and policy issues that surround public sector budgeting, methods for managing organizations in the public sector, and the legal principles of public administration. In addition, you’ll explore applied research methods for public policy.
In the urban planning specialization, you’ll explore the basics of geographic information systems. You’ll also study geography, urban planning, and how urban planners use geographic information systems when crafting and executing plans for city development. Our public administration and urban planning degree is rounded out by a thesis or elective track.
If you choose to pursue the thesis track, you’ll begin by selecting and proposing a thesis topic. After your topic has been approved, you’ll complete a research course. Lastly, you will present and defend your thesis before faculty from the Helms School of Government. The thesis track is an excellent option if you are interested in pursuing a doctoral degree someday.
If you choose to pursue the elective track, you will be able to customize your degree by selecting 2 graduate-level courses offered by the Helms School of Government. This offers you the freedom to study topics that you’re most passionate about.
- GEOG 502 – Introduction to Geographic Information Systems*
- GEOG 541 – Geography and Urban Planning*
- GEOG 641 – GIS for Urban Planning*
- PADM 610 – Management of Public Sector Organizations
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our MPA in Urban Planning Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online public administration degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- You will have access to a wide variety of resources and materials found through our online library portal.
- You may be able to earn course credit for relevant, real-world experience.
- You can complete your MPA online in less than 2 years!
Online Urban Planning Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with a Master’s in Public Administration
- City or town planner
- Conservation officer
- Housing officer
- Local government officer
- Transport planner
Admission Requirements for Our Online Master of Public Administration
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form.**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.