Prepare to Protect Your Country with a National Security Bachelor’s Degree
You are passionate about guarding the innocent. You dream of protecting your country and those in your community. You are seeking an exciting career in a fast-paced field.
If that sounds like you, Liberty’s online B.S. in Government – National Security degree can help! This program offers multidisciplinary training in homeland security, strategic intelligence, and counterterrorism. You will learn how to defend your country, while also gaining core skills in lawmaking and government leadership.
Prepare to serve in the private or public sector. By learning how to counter various threats to national security, you can promote freedom, justice, and peace in the United States.
What is national security?
The federal government is responsible for protecting our country and its citizens from various threats, both internal and external. That process is known as “national security” or “national defense.”
National security is a broad field that encompasses many aspects of public safety, including economics, cybersecurity, energy, food, military, and environmental security. Thus, national security involves guarding against many types of threats — both military and non-military — to a nation’s well-being.
Why Choose Liberty University’s National Security Degree Online?
As far as colleges with national security degrees go, we believe Liberty stands out. Our Bachelor of Science in National Security is available 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can earn your degree from the comfort of your home, without putting your life on hold. The best part? You can stay invested in your family and career while achieving your academic goals!
Our national security professors have years of experience working in government and counterterrorism. With their guidance, you can develop practical skills that will help you stand out from the competition. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or enter the workforce for the first time, this program can equip you for success.
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance learning since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has not. We seek to develop leaders who are guided by duty, honor, and morality. Partner with us and prepare to use your skills in service to God and others.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a national security analyst?
National security analysts identify threats to our country’s safety and find ways to mitigate risks. They help government officials plan ways to fight terrorism, natural disasters, cybercrime, economic inequality, and internal subversion, among other threats.
How long does it take to earn a national security degree?
You can finish Liberty University’s national security program in under 4 years! We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
What can you do with a national security degree?
Our bachelor’s in national security is a flexible degree that can help you qualify for jobs in a variety of fields.
You could work directly in government as a politician, public administrator, or policymaker. You could also work for a federal agency, such as the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). The private sector also plays a vital role in national security. So, if you’d prefer not to work in the public sector, you could apply for security jobs at a private company!
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s in National Security Online Courses?
Explore foundational topics in government, including comparative politics, public policy, political theory, American foreign policy, and American constitutional history. You will learn how to lead our country through all manner of threats and crises, while finding ways to promote peace and security.
Develop a holistic approach to national security. This degree offers a mix of homeland security and strategic intelligence courses, so you can develop a diverse and marketable skill set.
Analyze practical ways to improve homeland security policies and procedures. In this program, you’ll learn how to identify potential disasters, implement public communication strategies, and carry out emergency planning at the local, state, and federal level. With this knowledge, you can help fight terrorism and lead recovery efforts in the wake of disaster.
Learn how to protect critical infrastructure, including agriculture, telecommunications, medical services, transportation, and postal services. Our national security courses can help equip you to address many types of threats — both internal and external — that could undermine our nation’s well-being.
- CJUS 382 – Critical Infrastructure Protection
- GOVT 329 – American Exceptionalism
- GOVT 481 – Counter-Terrorism
- GOVT 484 – Strategic Intelligence
Online Government Security Degree Information
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our bachelor’s degree in security.
- View the Undergraduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Liberty’s National Security Major
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Careers for Graduates of the Bachelor’s in National Security Program
By completing this online counter-terrorism degree, you can pursue many types of jobs, including:
- Border patrol agent
- Counterterrorism agent
- Federal agent
- Intelligence analyst
- Law enforcement officer
- National security analyst
- Security officer
Admission Requirements for Our Bachelor’s Degree in National Security
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Highlights of Our National Security and Counter-Terrorism Online Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online national security degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- The courses in this program are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- As an online student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.