Fight for Freedom and Justice with Our Online Associates Degree in Criminal Justice
If you’re troubled by the injustices in the world and feel led to be part of the solution, partner with us! Liberty University’s online Associate of Arts (AA) in Criminal Justice can help you join the criminal justice system, fight for what’s right, and achieve your goals.
There are a variety of ways to get involved in the criminal justice system, and you can help make a difference in the lives of those hurt by crime with a criminal justice AA degree from Liberty. The criminal justice system is composed of three broad areas:
- Law enforcement — You will identify and investigate a crime, find evidence, and then use it to determine motives and the sequence of events in a crime. Throughout the process, you will work to protect the rights of crime victims.
- The court system — You will examine the evidence to determine guilt or innocence and then issue a sentence if the party is guilty.
- The correction system — You will learn about punishment and rehabilitation of the guilty party.
With our online law enforcement degree that focuses on criminal justice, you will be empowered to begin your journey towards protecting the weak and defending justice. Earn an associate in criminal justice, and become a Champion for Christ who fights for the oppressed and defends freedom throughout your career!
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Associates in Criminal Justice?
At Liberty, your success is our success, which is why we have worked hard to create one of the best online associate criminal justice degrees available. Through this program, you can learn the complexities of the criminal justice field. This degree program can help prepare you to pursue a more specific direction for your career — in the workforce or higher education.
Our Helms School of Government faculty members were chosen with you in mind. They have experience as private practice partners, police officers, lawyers, certified public accountants, certified mediators, and more.
Liberty’s online criminal justice associate degree is set apart from other programs. As part of our mission to Train Champions for Christ, our professors teach their courses from a Christian perspective.
We Value Flexibility
Our online criminal justice associate degree is especially designed for professionals who are aspiring, current, or prior law enforcement officials. These learners often have busy schedules that do not permit them to attend residential courses. Flexibility is vital for our students, particularly those who are first responders.
Our online associate criminal justice program empowers you to complete your degree from the comfort of home. This allows you to remain active in your job, family, and community without worrying about taking courses on campus. As a student, you will still be able to focus on your family and career while completing your criminal justice online program on your own schedule.
What Will You Learn in Our Associates in Criminal Justice?
Liberty University’s 100% online associate degree in criminal justice will provide you with a strong foundation of both knowledge and skills. This will prepare you for careers within a wide variety of criminal justice-related fields. You can acquire knowledge to help you successfully lead and manage in criminal justice fields for future promotional opportunities and certifications.
In our associate in criminal justice degree program, you will:
- Be introduced to the American criminal justice system.
- Become familiarized with the criminal correctional system in the United States.
- Examine theories regarding the nature and cause of criminal behavior and society’s response.
- Perform research in the social sciences using both traditional and online venues.
- Review the legal elements that apply to criminal law, procedure, and evidence.
- Study the functioning of courts, judges, lawyers, and law enforcement agencies.
Frequently Asked Questions About Our AA in Criminal Justice
Is an associate degree in criminal justice worth it?
In our opinion, yes – an online associate degree in criminal justice is worth it! Earning an associate in criminal justice can help you boost your chances of promotion and vie for pay raises. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, workers with an associate degree earned median pay 19% higher than those with a high school diploma.* Choosing Liberty’s online criminal justice associate degree could help you vie for such an increase in pay.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2021 (viewed online July 12, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Can I turn my associate’s degree into a bachelor’s?
Though you cannot “turn” your associate degree in criminal justice into a bachelor’s, you can transfer each of your criminal justice associate degree’s credits into our bachelor’s degree in criminal justice – saving you time and money. Beginning your criminal justice studies with an associate degree is also an excellent way to determine if criminal justice is the right field for you – and if it is, a bachelor’s degree is the next step in your educational journey!
Featured Courses in Our Associate in Criminal Justice
- CJUS 230 – Criminal Justice Research and Writing
- CJUS 330 – Judicial Process
- CJUS 340 – Criminology
- CJUS 400 – Criminal Law
Military Benefits for Our Online Criminal Justice Associate Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 for credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Highlights of the Associate in Criminal Justice Degree Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online criminal justice associate degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- With no set login times or on-campus class requirements, this program is ideal for students who need flexibility — like law enforcement and military service members.
Potential Career Options with an Online Associate Degree in Criminal Justice
Our associate in criminal justice will prepare you to pursue further education or enter any of the numerous career options available in criminal justice. Some criminal justice careers with an associate’s degree include:
- Homeland defense
- Juvenile justice
- Private/corporate security
- Probation and parole
- Social services
- State and local police and sheriff
- Victim advocacy
Specific positions include a corrections officer, a probation officer, a youth detention counselor, a security officer, and even a crime scene or criminal investigator. Some top-paying jobs with an associate degree in criminal justice are police officer, private detective, and bailiff.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.