Help Middle and High School Students Thrive with an Online Secondary Education Degree Program
Are you passionate about serving students in grades 6-12? Middle school and high school can be challenging, formative times for many adolescents. Students in these grade levels need support from effective school leaders who can help them learn, grow, and thrive as they prepare for the future.
If you want to help middle and high school students receive quality educational experiences, Liberty’s 100% online Education Specialist (EdS) in Curriculum and Instruction – Secondary Education can help. Our program can help you gain the tools you need to conduct cutting-edge research, develop curricula, and improve institutional instruction for middle and high school students.
This secondary education degree online is a great option if you want to gain additional skills and credentials but aren’t ready to pursue a doctorate. Maybe you want to strengthen your job performance and learn how to keep up with current trends in education — or perhaps you’re seeking new job opportunities, a promotion, or a higher salary. No matter what your goals are, we’re committed to helping you lead with excellence.
Partner with us and prepare to make a positive impact on the students in your classroom — and beyond.
Secondary Education Definition:
In the United States, secondary education typically refers to both middle school and high school. Students at these levels face unique learning challenges, so there is a need for school leaders who can help them gain a quality education that prepares them for success.
Why Choose Liberty’s EdS in Curriculum and Instruction – Secondary Education Degree Online?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance education since 1985. A lot has changed since then but our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has not. We seek to provide you with high-quality programs that meet your professional needs. If you’re seeking a secondary education degree at a college that offers flexibility and credible programs, Liberty University can help.
Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). You can pursue your online secondary education degree with confidence knowing that our EdS program has met rigorous academic standards and accreditation requirements. And, because this program is offered 100% online, you can pursue your academic goals wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for you.
Through the online EdS in Curriculum and Instruction, you will complete doctoral-level research in educational models, theory, and teaching techniques. With this knowledge, you can prepare to address real-world educational challenges as a teacher, administrator, or curriculum developer.
What Are the Benefits of Our Online Secondary Education Degree Program?
As far as colleges with secondary education programs go, we believe Liberty stands out. Our online middle and high school education degree is designed to provide you with exceptional benefits, such as the following:
- Completing an EdS degree can show employers that you possess high-level skills in theory, research, and curriculum development and are willing to go the extra mile beyond a master’s degree to ensure you have the most advanced training.
- By conducting educational research throughout your postgraduate middle and high school education degree, you can prepare to publish groundbreaking insights into modern education.
- You can transfer up to 27 credits from this online secondary education degree to our Doctor of Education (EdD) program — allowing you to get a head start on your doctorate!
How much can you earn with an EdS in secondary education degree?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for instructional coordinators was $66,970 in 2020. This field is projected to grow 6% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all industries.* By earning your EdS in middle and high school education degree at Liberty, you can prepare to pursue exciting career opportunities and stand out from job candidates who only have a master’s degree.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Instructional Coordinators (viewed online July 27, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Middle and High School Education Degree Program?
Our online secondary education degree can help you promote student success at the secondary level. Whether you work in a Christian, private, or public school, our middle and high school education degree is designed to help you prepare your students for success — both in school and in life.
This secondary education program provides a mix of practical and theoretical training, so you can learn how to improve instruction in your classroom and beyond. Throughout your courses, you can explore topics like learning technologies, curriculum theory, educational leadership, and research in curriculum design and development.
Our secondary education specialization allows you to choose from a list of relevant education courses — giving you the flexibility to take classes that match your interests and career goals. For instance, you can learn how to effectively teach various subject areas, such as science, social studies, mathematics, or literacy. You can also explore the use of instructional design and technology in education and learn how to teach students with varying learning styles.
Additionally, this online secondary education degree covers the qualitative and quantitative methods that are used to conduct educational research. By completing a capstone course, you’ll have the opportunity to develop a final research project as well as write and submit an article for publication. This can help you hone your professional writing skills and contribute to the base of knowledge in your field.
- EDUC 624 – Instructional Methods for Behavior and Learning
- EDUC 629 – Technology and Diversity
- EDUC 701 – Advanced Learning Theory and Research
- EDUC 730 – Issues and Trends in Learning Technologies
Highlights of Our EdS in Curriculum and Instruction – Secondary Education Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online EdS degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- You can complete your online secondary education college degree in just 1 year!
- Our 100% online courses have no set login times — so you can earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
- You can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while completing your secondary education degree online.
Online Secondary Education Program Information
- This EdS online degree program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- View the Postgraduate Advising Guide for more information about degree requirements.
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Liberty’s Middle and High School Education Degree Online
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with an Online Secondary Education Degree
This program can help you pursue school leadership positions, particularly in the areas of middle and high school education and curriculum development. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Curriculum specialist
- Educational technology specialist
- Education consultant
- High school teacher*
- Instructional coordinator
- Middle school teacher*
*Please note: This is a non-licensure program. Completion of this degree will not lead to teaching certification. However, this program may be a good fit for licensed teachers or students who do not need state teaching licensure to pursue various educational leadership roles.
Admission Requirements for Our Secondary Education Degree Online Program
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.