Meeting the Needs of Urban Students Begins with an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education
Did you know that 80% of Americans live in urban communities? Liberty University’s School of Education has designed the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education to help teachers meet the diverse needs of students found in urban communities. Through this urban education program, you will gain special training in relational skills. You will also learn how to help students who may have experienced trauma or are going through a crisis.
Learn how to successfully teach diverse groups of students. Every student learns differently, and teachers who are trained in dynamic instructional practices for K-12 classrooms are best equipped to help them. That could be you — this degree in urban education is designed to help you meet the social, emotional, and academic needs of your students.
Please note: if you want to pursue an initial teaching license, please see the Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education Degree?
Liberty’s M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education degree can be completed 100% online so you can meet both your educational and personal goals. Research indicates that students in urban communities are more likely to experience risk factors such as drug use, hunger, or poverty. The specialization in urban education will help you learn the strategies you need to provide appropriate support and encouragement to your students.
In addition to Liberty’s SACSCOC accreditation, Liberty’s School of Education has been accredited under NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) standards through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
At Liberty University, we believe your impact on the next generation matters, so we’ve lowered the price of our Master of Education degrees. All of your classes will be taught from a biblical worldview by faculty with years of experience in and out of the classroom. An affordable degree grounded in biblical principles can make you extremely valuable to educational institutions because you will be well-equipped to influence your students both academically and personally.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education Degree?
With Liberty’s urban education degree, you can gain insight into the realities and challenges of teaching in an urban community. As a Liberty student, you will learn about the scope of diversity in K-12 classrooms and develop strategies for working with students and families who may have been impacted by trauma. Our courses are designed with you in mind — to help prepare you for a fulfilling educational career in a variety of urban areas.
Through this M.Ed. in Urban Education degree program, you will gain a broad base of relevant professional knowledge. You will learn the speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills needed for effective classroom management.
You will also examine common educational issues in urban communities and learn strategies for developing partnerships between the home, school, and community. We will help you gain the confidence and understanding you need to be successful when teaching in an urban environment. Every student needs compassionate and well-equipped teachers — impact the lives of those in urban communities with Liberty’s M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education.
- EDUC 540 – Historical Perspectives in Urban Education*
- EDUC 547 – The Differentiated Classroom*
- EDUC 542 – Culturally Responsive Teaching*
- EDUC 543 – Urban Schools and Communities*
*Course guide coming soon!
Highlights of Our Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full time, Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is now available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country!
- You can complete this master’s in urban education degree program in as little as 1.5 years.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) – The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) provides a path for students to develop or advance their teaching skills. This program also provides students with the opportunity to seek licensure. The online M.A.T. degree pairs advanced learning theory with evidence-based practical methodology to equip teachers to help children and young adults along their educational journey.
- Master of Education in Higher Education – Liberty’s Master of Education in Higher Education will prepare you for effective leadership in post-secondary education settings. This degree will combine ethical perspective with accredited academics by giving you the opportunity to master skills in community relations, diverse education settings, and other major areas of leadership.
Please note that the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education degree online is a non-licensure track. Students can switch to a licensure-track M.Ed. or M.A.T. program but must meet credit hour and GPA qualifications.
Master of Education – Urban Education Degree Information
- Optional 3-credit-hour practicum
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online M.Ed. in Urban Education Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Urban Education Graduates
- Curriculum specialist
- Community organizer
- Education policymaker
- K-12 urban education director
- Private school teacher
Admission Requirements for Graduate Online Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.