Bring the Past to Life for Your Students with a History Education Master’s Program
Are you passionate about social studies and educating young people? Liberty University’s online Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – History degree can prepare you to construct curriculum and teach at all educational levels.
Teaching students about historical contexts is important and aids in helping them be successful members of society. Our MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – History program will prepare you with the skills necessary to teach world history, American history, and European history. Our online degree format allows you to customize your courses to best meet your educational needs. And you’ll still be able to dedicate time to work and family.
Please note: The curriculum and instruction history online degree specialization is a non-licensure track.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master’s in Education History?
At Liberty University our mission is Training Champions for Christ. In keeping with this mission, our School of Education combines a Christian perspective with award-winning programs and degrees. Our education students have the opportunity to receive valuable experiences and knowledge that can help them have a positive influence in the lives of others.
This program equips you with a variety of skills that can help you step into leadership roles and succeed as a teacher. You will gain a firm understanding of the world and the complex issues of the past that contribute to today’s society. Our online graduate history courses for teachers can improve your knowledge of effective teaching methods and strengthen your skills as an educator.
Our goal is to produce educators and school leaders who model high academic, moral, and spiritual standards before their peers. Our master’s in history education degree follows this standard by preparing candidates for effective leadership roles in Christian, public, and private schools. The MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – History program is offered 100% online for your convenience. You will not need to relocate or take time off work to attend on-campus classes!
Is getting a master’s degree online worth it?
If you’re considering committing to graduate school, you will need to know if it’s worth your time and effort. The good news is that Liberty offers a master’s in history education that’s 100% online. You can complete an advanced degree whenever and wherever is convenient for you. Plus, you’ll never have to attend courses on a residential campus.
You might also be wondering if an online program will be as respected as its residential counterpart. As long as your program is from a respectable, accredited institution, then yes, it will! Liberty University is regionally accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Our School of Education is accredited by NCATE, the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, through CAEP.
You can rest assured that your program has met rigorous accreditation standards and will help you get the job or promotion you want.
What can I do with a Master of Education in History?
It’s important to know that the degree you choose will help you with your career goals. A master’s in education or teaching with a focus in history could help. If you’re a licensed teacher looking for a promotion or specialized knowledge in history, Liberty’s MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – History is the program for you.
With this degree, you could qualify for some of the following roles:
- Primary or secondary history teacher
- School administrator
- University dean
How much can you make with a master’s in education?
A master’s degree in education can help you excel in your career as an educator. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, postsecondary education administrators make a median annual wage of $95,410.* So don’t wait any longer – earn your master’s degree and start hitting your career and financial goals.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Postsecondary Education Administrators (viewed online Sept. 25, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What is the difference between an MEd in History and a Master of Arts in Teaching History?
A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) will equip you for a career as a teacher or professor. While an MEd degree can help you work as an educator, it also provides the training you need to pursue educational leadership roles outside the classroom.
If you want to focus specifically on best teaching methods, you may want to consider one of our online MAT degrees.
What Will You Learn in the Master’s in History Education Online?
Liberty’s Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – History online degree program features the foundational principles of education and curriculum as well as specialized knowledge in history instruction. An overview of the teaching and learning process is explored in relation to learning theory, individual differences, motivation, exceptionality, and teaching methodology. Research on human development, data collection and assessment, and application of analysis in school settings will prepare you to understand and meet the needs of all learning styles.
The courses in our online curriculum and instruction degree will provide a comprehensive examination of the political, economic, religious, cultural, and military factors that influenced historical events. This multi-faceted view will help you discover how all history is interconnected and give you tools for communicating that complexity to your students.
- EDUC 604 – Foundations of Education
- HIUS 510 – American Colonial History
- HIUS 542 – History of American Political Parties since 1896
- HIWD 560 – History of the Atlantic World
Program Highlights for Our Online Master’s in Teaching History
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we actually lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full time, Liberty University’s MEd online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country!
- You can complete the online MEd in history curriculum and instruction degree program in under 2 years.
Information for Our Master’s Degree in History Education
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Licensure is not available for this program.
- The School of Education is accredited by NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) as an Educator Preparation Provider (EPP).
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Curriculum and Instruction History Teacher Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with an Online MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – History Degree
Upon completion of your graduate degree in history education, you will have the opportunity to pursue a variety of careers, such as:
- Primary, secondary, or postsecondary teacher*
- School administrator
- University department chair/dean
*The MEd in Curriculum and Instruction – History does not lead to teacher licensure. However, the program may be a good fit for licensed teachers or students who do not need state teaching licensure to teach at a private school.
Admission Requirements for the MEd in Curriculum and Instruction
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.5 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.