Effective Foreign Language Instruction Begins with an M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education
Did you know that only 20% of K-12 students participate in foreign language education, compared to 92% in European countries?* Liberty University’s School of Education has designed the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education to meet the needs of foreign language students in the United States and to increase the foreign language acquisition rates of American students.
Through this foreign language education program, you will gain special training in foreign language acquisition, education, and leadership skills. The courses you take will focus on the skills associated with teaching a foreign language. If you are already working in the field and looking to expand your knowledge, then this program is for you.
Learn how to be successful developing a foreign language curriculum. One of the reasons American students lag in foreign language skills is that there is a lack of qualified instructors who can motivate them to learn. Gain the skills in teaching, assessing, and leading the development of foreign language courses in K-12 classrooms. This foreign language education specialization will help you meet the academic needs of your students and expand your knowledge and professional standing.
*Pew Research Center, Fact Tank, at Most European Students are Learning a Foreign Language in School While Americans Lag (viewed online June 25, 2020).
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education Degree?
Liberty’s M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education degree can be completed 100% online so that you can meet both your educational and personal goals. We want to see you succeed, and the best way to be successful is to receive the specialized training you need to enhance your teaching ability.
We don’t just train educators — we train educators who want to make a positive impact on the next generation. It’s who you are and who you aspire to become. We want to help you reach your goals, so we’re making a master’s degree more affordable. At $415 per credit hour for full time students, it is one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country. In addition, you will broaden your professional capacity. Make a bigger impact on your students with an online M.Ed. from Liberty University.
In addition to Liberty’s SACSCOC accreditation, Liberty’s School of Education has been accredited under NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) standards through the CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation) Accreditation System.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education Degree?
Liberty University’s M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education does not focus on teaching one specific foreign language. Instead, your courses will focus on the skills associated with teaching a foreign language. If you are already working in the field, then you can benefit from the added information this degree can bring.
Through this foreign language education program, you will gain a broad base of professional and general knowledge. You will learn the speaking, writing, reading, and listening skills needed for effective classroom communication and professional involvement. Additionally, you will learn classroom management skills to help create a climate that motivates students and maximizes learning.
The foreign language specialization includes some higher-level Spanish classes that focus on language acquisition skills and also some more advanced Spanish grammar and composition. These courses will focus on the finer skills of how to teach a foreign language and how students can best acquire a foreign language.
You will also examine current issues in education and what the implications of those issues might have on your classroom. Your professional development will include research on human development, learning, and pedagogical knowledge and skills. We will help you gain the skills that will meet marketplace demands and enhance your credentials in the foreign language education field.
- EDUC 518 – Educational Research and Assessment
- EDUC 696 – Current Issues in Education Capstone
- MLAN 519 – Second Language Acquisition
- SPAN 501 – Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition*
- SPAN 503 – Second Language Acquisition and Methodology*
*Course guide coming soon (Note that if you are teaching a language other than Spanish, the School of Education may be able to work with you to find a suitable substitute)
Highlights of Our Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online foreign language education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have lowered our tuition for our Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education programs. At $415 per credit hour for full time students, Liberty University’s M.Ed. online is available at one of the lowest tuition rates for this degree in the country.
- Gain new skills in teaching a foreign language and classroom management.
- You can complete this master’s in foreign language education degree program in as little as 1.5 years.
Please note that the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education degree online is a non-licensure track. Students can switch to a licensure M.Ed. or MAT program but must meet credit hour and GPA qualifications.
Master of Education – Foreign Language Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Career Opportunities for Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction – Foreign Language Education Graduates
- K-12 foreign language consultant
- K-12 foreign language curriculum coordinator
- Foreign language instructional designer for a business or government agency
Admission Requirements for the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.